Your favourite beer

2XIPA - 8,2% - Southern Tier, USA.

I had this last weekend and I was great! :kickass:

Don't get the "2X" part at all... This wasn't like a double IPA or anything.. but hey it's the taste, not the name... :p

Sep3, I believe that if you don't like Ales, you don't like beer. Probably not your fault, some people are just over-sensitive to bitterness.

I feel that none of the lagers I've had are worth drinking, except if you wanna get drunk.

I like whisky, so I don't think I'd be "over-sensitive to bitterness" or anything, it's just that the exaggerated amount of hops in most ales doesn't really suit my taste. That, plus any decent import is really expensive here so I don't really get to taste ales all that often. 99% of beer is lager here.

Most american lagers don't really taste like anything, so if you've only had bud or that sorta crap, I could imagine having quite a bad impression. I enjoy lager with a strong flavor and smooth aftertaste that goes well after a sauna or with a good steak.

There are plenty of good lagers out there, and many are American made. Can't beat Pilsner Urquell, which is quite hoppy itself, and Samichlaus is a lager as well. Unfortunately, the BudMilloors brands have dumped lager/pilsner into the abyss. And you could put up a good argument for Anchor Steam to be classified as a lager since it's made with a bottom-fermenting Saccharomyces yeast, though it is not fermented cold nor lagered. What I find most interesting about "beer" is how wide-ranging and complex its flavor profiles and characteristics have become.

Any recommendations? The best one I've had was in Denver... yue-something with a very difficult name, but that still didn't come close to any european beers I've had.

I like Urquell, but Tuborg Green still beats everything I've tried hands down even tho it's a mainstream beer atleast in Denmark. I just hope they'd start to sell it here.

I am also shocked at the range and complexity beer can achieve. Usually, the same 4 ingredients are used, yet one tastes extremely different than the next. Remarkable.

There are plenty of ales with malts forward, rather than hops.

Yuengling. Pronounced ying-ling. It's actually the oldest brewery in the US.

Do you want big beer recommendations, or more true-to-the-style lagers?

For ales with malty flavors, any German Alt beer will fall into that category, including anything brewed to that style. But, hefeweizens (haven't found an American brewery match a good Bavarian yet) fall into ale categories as well. There are several breweries producing bitters and ESBs in the states as well - Red Hook most famously for the ESBs. Brown Ales are typically malty. And you can always go with a good porter or stout.

What a monster!

IMG_20110114_214145.jpg

You got that right!!!

I live about 2 miles from Moylans Brew Pub in Novato, CA. A great place to have a drink. Outstanding beer, excellent food, and great atmosphere! A wonderful place to spend an afternoon or an evening with friends. I feel fortunate. The IPA is just one of many tasty brews available daily. Is this available to you locally in New Mexico?

Other beers that I enjoy are Pyramid Hefeweizen, Pyramid Apricot Ale, Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout, Racer 5 IPA,
Newcastle Brown Ale, and Great White Ale. The Pyramids and Great White are unfiltered ales which are my favorites at
the moment. There is a brewery in Nor Cal called Anderson Valley that makes many tasty varieties. Deep Enders Dark
is a porter that is very good.

Yeah, we have had Moylan's here for about a year or so now. I really dig their Hopsickle as well. I'm not a big Pyramid fan - I much prefer the Bavarian hefe versions. The American hefes are typically too clean tasting. Racer 5 is one of my favorites. I was at EJ Phair in Concord and Racer 5 was on guest tap - holy moley! I'd had it in bottles before, but the nose on that draft still lingers. And we get Anderson Valley here too.

We have a slew of breweries and pubs opening here as well. We've had Chama River for a long time (though I preferred it when it was Blue Corn because they had a monster Grilled Corn & Chipotle Soup) and Il Vicino. Marble has been open for a couple years, and they make a crazy Imperial Red. La Cumbre just opened before Christmas, and Nexus is building their brewery right down the street from the office.

Yuengling. Pronounced ying-ling. It's actually the oldest brewery in the US.

Do you want big beer recommendations, or more true-to-the-style lagers?

For ales with malty flavors, any German Alt beer will fall into that category, including anything brewed to that style. But, hefeweizens (haven't found an American brewery match a good Bavarian yet) fall into ale categories as well. There are several breweries producing bitters and ESBs in the states as well - Red Hook most famously for the ESBs. Brown Ales are typically malty. And you can always go with a good porter or stout.
Anything exceptional. I'll check if I can get my hands on em here. We got quite a good selection of import beers even in big local markets. :) Most expensive ones are like 4 euros a bottle tho and you can almost get a six of bad discount beer at that price.

Went to a food expo thingy this weekend and I tried a sample of "Delirium Tremens".
One of the best beers I've ever had! delicious! Every beer afterwards tasted like water, and paled in comparison.

Some of my favorites include, depending on my mood:

Troegs Nugget Nectar
Troegenator Double Bock
Blue Point Hoptical Illusion
Blue Point Rastafa-Rye
Green Flash Hop Head
Three Philosophers
Delerium Tremens
Magic Hat #9
Gulden Draak
Pliny The Elder

Pliny The Elder rocks. Reader's vote for Number 1 beer in America in Zymurgy magazine (mag for the American Homebewers Association, FYI). And I'm a huge fan of rye beers, though I haven't had Blue Point. Gulden Draak is a monster - did you have the 9% or 10.5%? It's been a really long time since I've had it though.

Anybody here live in Austin, TX? Does St. Pat's still have the Belgian cooler?

Pliny The Elder rocks. Reader's vote for Number 1 beer in America in Zymurgy magazine (mag for the American Homebewers Association, FYI). And I'm a huge fan of rye beers, though I haven't had Blue Point. Gulden Draak is a monster - did you have the 9% or 10.5%? It's been a really long time since I've had it though.

Anybody here live in Austin, TX? Does St. Pat's still have the Belgian cooler?

I've had the 10.5 Gulden Draak, I believe the Gulden Draak Vintage is 7.5%.. Can't find it anywhere. Great beer nonetheless. Pliny The Elder is another awesome beer, I have yet to try Pliny The Younger.. It's next on my list.

Blue Point is a local brewery, about 5 minutes from where I live, they make some decent stuff. My favorites being the Hoptical Illusion, Rastafa-Rye and their most popular Toasted Lager.

Word up. Left Coast is now selling in NM. I picked up Asylum and Hop Juice yesterday, as well as the Stone/Green Flash/Pizza Port Highway 78 Scotch Ale collaboration, Old Guardian, and Old Guardian Belgo. Gonna be a blast of a weekend.