Your Favourite Concert

El Diablo Fantastico

Look Up! Look Up!!!
Mar 15, 2005
Herts, England
So, tell me, what's the absolute favourite gig you've ever been to, and why? :cool:

Mine is a recent concert, seeing Anathema at the London Scala back in September. One of my absolute favourite bands ever, and they performed with with such energy it was breathtaking. They played loads of my favourites, showed off some of the songs off their upcoming album and also played one or two "golden oldies" as well. They also had Ann Further there to sing the female vocals and they were beautiful!

Here's the set list for the night, with some links to some videos from the night if you wanna check 'em out:

Intro
"New Song"
Balance
Closer
Lost Control
Empty
A Natural Disaster
Everything (New Song)
One Last Goodbye
Hope
Judgement
Panic
Flying

Encore:
Parisienne Moonlight
Fragile Dreams
A Simple Mistake (New Song)
Sleepless
Hurt (Johnny Cash-version)

Probably Emperor over the summer. Sooo good. Setlist was:
1. Into the Infinity of Thoughts / The Burning Shadows of Silence / Cosmic Keys to My Creations and Times (medley)
2. Thus Spake the Nightspirit
3. An Elegy of Icaros
4. Curse You All Men
5. With Strength I Burn
6. Towards the Pantheon
7. The Majesty of the Nightsky
8. The Loss and Curse of Reverence
9. In the Wordless Chamber
10. Inno a Satana
11. Beginning of Opus a Satana (from tape)

Encore

1. I am the Black Wizards
2. Ye Entranceperium
3. End of Opus a Satana (from tape)

Also even though I don't like them that much anymore, I saw Symphony X in this tiny little club (with great sound) headlining a few years ago. They played the Oddysey (the song) in full, all 20+ minutes. I was right up front. That was a pretty incredible show.

oh my. that anathema show and setlist makes me drewl. gotta see 'em sometime. for me it must've been Dismember back in 2003 when i was just getting fully into metal. they played dismembered, skin her alive, bleed for me, skinfather, i saw them die and a bunch of other classics and simply taught me that death metal should be played stockholm style, not friggin gothenburg

Hmm, Nevermore's gotta be my favorite thus far. Front row close enough to jump on Loomy if I wanted to... :saint: Oh so great. Plus I finally heard Division live that show. :)

After that:

Blind Guardian
Dream Theater
Kamelot/Epica
Opeth/Dark Tranquillity/Devin Townsend Band
Battery: Masters of Metallica (fantastic cover band)
Black Label Society
Bodom/Chaimara/TTEOFD

Reactions: progmetaldan
My favourite was G3 (John Petrucci, Steve Vai & Joe Satriani + Mike Portnoy, Tony MacAlpine & Billy Sheehan)

It's the first time Petrucci and Portnoy had been to Australia, and they said Dream Theater would come in the next world tour, so hopefully...

Setlist was:

G306
JOHN PETRUCCI, STEVE VAI & JOE SATRIANI
+ MIKE PORTNOY, BILLY SHEEHAN & TONY MACALPINE
Adelaide, Australia, Wednesday December 6th

JOHN PETRUCCI
1. Jaws Of Life
2. Glasgow Kiss
3. Curve
4. Wishful Thinking
5. Damage Control

STEVE VAI
1. Tender Surrender
2. Giant Balls Of Gold
3. Building The Church
4. Answers
5. Whispering A Prayer
6. Freak Show Excess
7. Bass Solo
8. For The Love Of God

JOE SATRIANI
1. Flying In A Blue Dream
2. The Extremist
3. Redshift Riders
4. Cool #9
5, Satch Boogie
6. Super Colossal
7. Just Like Lightnin'
8. Crowd Chant
9. Summer Song
10. Always With Me, Always With You

G3 JAM
1. Voodoo Child
2. My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama
3. Rockin' In The Free World

It was simply an unbelievable night of instrumental, solo guitar!

Show back in December of '05.

Darkane
Soilwork
Fear Factory
Strapping Young Lad

While I'm at it, I might as well list the runners-up to my fave gig spot. Them being Slayer back in 2003 when they played the whole of the Reign In Blood album as part of their set, and also Dream Theater in 2002 when they covered Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast album in its entirety as an encore :headbang:

Reactions: progmetaldan
While I'm at it, I might as well list the runners-up to my fave gig spot. Them being Slayer back in 2003 when they played the whole of the Reign In Blood album as part of their set, and also Dream Theater in 2002 when they covered Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast album in its entirety as an encore :headbang:

A an encore??? That woulda been a mammoth concert!!! That would have been absolutely unbelievable!!! :worship:

As for my favorite show I'd have to say that the 3 of these are tied.

Gigantour 2005 8/28- Atlantic City

Opeth, Nevemore and Into Eternity- Philly 10/31/05

Fates Warning, Queensryche and Dream Theater -Delaware 7/12/03

I don't know if I could decipher a favorite. But shows that stand out

Emperor/Witchery/Borknagar in 1999

Manowar/Immortal in 2002.

Napalm Death/At the Gates around 1995/96.

Death/Carcass around 1993/4

Iron Maiden- Brave New World tour. It was just great to have Bruce back and with as much energy as I'd even seen.

I know, I saw you. I didin't know who you were at the time though. I remember Warrel say "Hey Will, I like your costume" or something to that effect. :lol: