Your favourite guitarist?

Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert, Greg Howe, Vinnie Moore, Michael Romeo, George Bellas, Stephan Forté, Allan Holdsworth, Frank Gambale, Jason Becker, Tony MacAlpine, John Petrucci, Kiko Louriero, Joe Stump, Alexi Laiho, Jeff Loomis etc.

In no real order:

Jason Becker
Allan Holdsworth
Shawn Lane
Jeff Loomis
Christofer Malmström
Leon Macey
Michael Romeo
Stephan Forté
Jon Levasseur
Tim Roth/Rob Doherty

Romeo
Malmsteen
Alexi Laiho
Jimmy Page
Tom Morello
David Gilmore
Jason Becker
Eddie Van Halen
Steve Vai
Luca Turilli
Stevie Ray Vaughan

...Wow. Pretty diverse list. And now I'm getting into jazz, so it'll be worse!

Yngwie Malmsteen, Michael Romeo, Michael Schenker, Uli Roth, John Norum, Helge Engelke, Paul Gilbert, Ishihara Shin'ichiro, Kiko Loureiro, Jonas Hansson, Ken Hammer, Michael Weikath, Kai Hansen, John Sykes, Victor Smolski, Vinnie Burns. And probably some others.

Mike Romeo
Steve Vai
Stephan Forté
Sonny Landreth
Allan Holdsworth
Chris Brooks
Johnny Winter
Jason Becker
Steve Vai
there's so many......and a load of as yet "undiscovered" guitarists who
I'm sure will make my list of favorites in years to come.

Michael Romeo
Jeff Loomis
Michael Ammott
Christopher Ammott
Bill Steer
Vivian Campbell
Eddie Van Halen
Randy Rhoades
Tim Calvert
Dave Mustaine
Jeff Young
Diamond Darrel
Kenny Hickey
Tony Iommi

many others I can't think of their names...:worship: :headbang: :kickass: :worship:

Normally I find it really hard to narrow favorites down to one, but in this case, it is easy.

Roine Stolt (The Flower Kings, Transatlantic)

I have not yet heard a guitarist who is better at injecting such raw emotion into his guitar playing. He's the very best elements of Jimi Hendrix, Carlos Santana, and David Gilmour. IMO (and I'll stress the "IMO" because I know pretty much everyone else on this board will disagree), for the most part shredding is crap. I used to, but no longer, give a rat's ass about how technical someone is. It's all about how much soul there is in it for me now. There are, though, a few who do shred that I really like, such as Petrucci (I like him for his slower solos with his great bluesy touch), and Michael Romeo (for his compositional brilliance).

EDIT: I don't mean to imply that MJR has no soul in his playing, though. While it is true that he often doesn't show it much, he does a great job in Accolade 2, Communion and the Oracle, DWoT, and Lady of the Snow.

Allan Holdsworth
Shawn Lane
Ron Thal
Steve Vai
Brett Garsed
EVH
Mattias Eklundh
Joe Satriani
Steve Morse

i like guys who have their own voice or fingerprints...no offence to the guy above me but Stolt to my ear has no defining sound....i have quite a few Transatlantic,Flower Kings and Kaipa albums...and i'm not saying that he's not a good player (he can be tasty at times...but he's not an island).....as for shred....you need to be able to shred to be a good all round player.....you don't want to do it all the time but it does serve to cover a number of emotions you may want to put into a musical form.

My faves are Holdsworth and Lane because they have it all..taste, speed,and a great musical vocabulary.

In no order:

Joe Satriani
Micheal Romeo
John Petrucci
David Gilmour
Randy Rhoads (RIP)
Mark Knopfler
Dave Murray (from Iron Maiden)
Hide (RIP) (from japanese band X-Japan)

And a lot others I don't recall righ now

SR wrote
shawn lane
brett garsed
steve vai

Goddam SR...you really are gonna have to move to Canberra and be my shred-wench, marry me or at least have a brief affair....any chick who can dig Lane and Garsed deserves some major biscuit points....you got Centrifugal Funk?