Your favorite guitarist

Back on topic, some of my Favorite Guitar players are...

Yngwie Malmsteen: You either love him or hate him, at least thats how it seems like that with most people. I think he's amazing and if you haven't heard his Concerto for the Electric Guitar CD, your missing out, some of his best stuff yet!

Ritchie Blackmore

Randy Rhodes

Honestly I thought that piece was awful... just very contrived. The only Yngwie I like is the first album.
For me I'd say... John McLaughlin.

Pretty obvious who my #1 is but others:
mikael akerfeldt
chuck schuldiner
devin townsend
steven wilson
zakk wylde
steve vai
jimmy page
joe satriani
SRV
jerry cantrell
david gilmour

Ron Jarzombek is my favorite guitarist

More excellent guitarists :

Kazuhito Yamashita
Frank Zappa
Mikael Akerfeldt
Michael Romeo
Doug Cerrito
Anders Bjorler
Andy Laroque

There are many many other excellent guitarists of course.

Honestly I thought that piece was awful... just very contrived. The only Yngwie I like is the first album.

The first album is without a doubt his best work, but he can still manage to pull off a really good instrumental tune from time to time.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
R.I.P

Victor Smolski (Rage)

John Petrucci (Dream Theater)

Michael Romero (Symphony X)

Correct!! Speed as an expression? It's just a way of showing off your licks. Has nothing to do with expression. Blackheim, from Katatonia, plays with more "emotion" and/or expression than IMO, any other guitarist in Metal. Not fast, just superb in creating atmosphere and evoking feelings. This fuckin' Dimebag Darrel "cocksucking" makes me sick. He was just a good metal guitarist, nothing more or less. In the "Bach Rock" category, Malmsteen couldn't carry Jason Beckers guitar case.

You know, whenever I see something like this, I lose the little faith I have in people. If a person thinks that speed is a form of expression and it makes a solo great, that's their opinion and they're entitled to it.

That being said, my favorites are Malmsteem, Slash, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, and, a person you people probably never heard about because you never listen to Spanish metal, Walter Giardino. That guy is a fucking awesome player, his technique is great and, besides, I love neo-classical stuff, although his solos can get a little boring when he stretches them too long.

Mustaine
Friedman/Becker
Schuldiner (R.I.P.)
Dimebag (R.I.P.)
Iommi
Murray/Smith
Romeo
Mongrain
Lemay/Marcoux
Åkerfeldt
Swanö
Blakkheim
Suiçmez
Laiho
Mäenpää
Saenko
Bjørnson

No particular order:

Zakk Wylde
Dimebag Darrell
Tony Iommi
Alex Skolnick/Eric Peterson
Dave Mustaine
Randy Rhoads
Kerry King/Jeff Hanneman
Jon Donais/Matt Bachand
Dave Murray/Adrian Smith
Andy LaRoque

Fredrik Thordendal (Meshuggah, Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects)
Joe Payne (Domination Through Impurity, Sudden Fear, Pain After Death, ex-Nile bassist, Lust of Decay bassist)
Muhammad (Necrophagist)

Tooooooo hard. To name a few off the top of my head:

Dimebag Darrell
Willie Adler and Mark Morton
Mikael Åkerfeldt
SRV
Steve Vai
Frank Zappa

For me I'd say... John McLaughlin.

You say you thought it was very contrived? Contrived means that it was thought out and planned. So are you saying it was too thought out and organized for your liking? I'm not challenging your opinion on why you didn't like it, just trying to understand exactly what about it you didn't like.

I like John McLaughlin I'm not totally familar with all his work but I like the Flemanco style of playing. I own a classical guitar as well, can't play like him but I love the sound of Classical guitars.

No particular order:

Zakk Wylde
Dimebag Darrell
Tony Iommi
Alex Skolnick/Eric Peterson
Dave Mustaine
Randy Rhoads
Kerry King/Jeff Hanneman
Jon Donais/Matt Bachand
Dave Murray/Adrian Smith
Andy LaRoque

Alex Skolnick was awesome in Testament! The solo to Return to Serenity is flawless, its a solo at its best! I need to look into his stuff outside Testament, I know he left metal to pursue Jazz, need to check it out.

Willie Adler & Mark Morton (lamb of god)
Jimmy Page (you should know)
Chris Storey (All Shall Perish)
And uf you haven't listened to All Shall Perish check em out.

Paul Gilbert ( Racer X)
Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom)
Jari Maenpaa (Wintersun) Takes sweeping to extreme levels :worship:

And my all time favourite would be Muhammad Suicmez (Necrophagist) his playing is immense, his composing is immense .. a great musician. Its not everyday you find someone who is able to perform six string sweeps while singing.

JIMI HENDRIX IS THE BEST! NO ONE CAN COMPARE TO HIM! HE WAS SIMPLY AMAZING! HE BECAME AMAZING IN JUST A FEW YEARS! HE STARTED WHEN HE WAS 16 AND DIED AT 27 SO HE PLAYED GUITAR 11 YEARS BUT IT ONLY TOOK HIM MAYBE 5 OR 6 YEARS TO GET THAT AMAZING! AND HE THOUGHT BIG WITH HIS RIFFS! HE WAS A GENIUS! AND NOT JUST MUSICAL! I MEAN LIKE A LEONARDO DA VINCI NO DOUBT ABOUT IT! I HOPE TO ONE DAY BE BETTER THAN HIM!

The way he trained was to be able to hit any note and form any chord his hands would allow at any speed, and that takes time and also he really put more thought into his chords, that's why all his songs are so complicated and hard to play. And in his life time he only played 11 years, so if it takes me double that time to get better than him then I would only be 34 and be considered the best guitarist. But also I'm not sure this could be true but what if he was the best anyone could possibly be at guitar? But anyways I still hope to get better than him.