Your favourite sixties music

Wrathchild

Miserable Bastard
Apr 16, 2001
Enfield, South Australia
Visit site
I haven't included Zep or Deep Purple in my list. Technically they qualify as they began in the late sixties but are best known as seventies bands.

The Beatles (if you don't like them or at least appreciate their importance, get off my thread)

The Rolling Stones (see above)

The Who

Cream (listening now)

Jimi Hendrix

Pink Floyd (Barrett era)

Fleetwood Mac (Green era)

Simon And Garfunkel

The Hollies (they sing about more than their fair share of teenage lovey dovey crap, but I can't go past the melodies or vocals)

CCR

The Kinks

The Yardbirds

The Small Faces

The Pretty Things (I once spent a night with SF Sorrow and a very Pretty Thing indeed. This inspired me to investigate further)

I'm tempted to add The Doors as I no longer have the Ludovico Technique reaction to them that I once did, but I don't go out of my way to listen to them either. Blame Australian rock radio for playing the same half dozen songs over and over again.

The only 60s stuff I've ever really liked is The Beatles. I've dabbled in most of the rest that you've mentioned but not enough to say "Ooh, I think I'll listen to them now".

Good list. I haven't really gotten into these bands for before I discovered Metal I mainly listened to Kiss and some shitty mainstream music.
I really love the song "yesterday" by the Beatles though. Very Beautiful Lyrics.

Yeah, surprised by the lack of love for the doors. Blitz, Waiting For The Sun is one of my favorites too. Also live The Crystal Ship, which has a very similar vibe to WFTS. As does the unknown soldier. Ha!

And how good is Touch Me? If Elvis had sung that song it would have been a certified classic like Suspicious Minds.

I really don't have much 60s stuff at all. I only recently started listening to the Stones, and the Pink Floyd stuff I have is from the 70s.

I too never liked the Doors. It was probably partly because annoying girls would like them when I was a teenager. Roadhouse Blues is a good song though.

Over the years I've changed my mind about lots of things though, and I'm much more open-minded than I used to be, so I'd never rule anything out!

As I said above, mainstream radio killed what interest I may once have had in The Doors. Quite recently, though, I've begun digging into some of their lesser known songs and I like what I hear. Not enough to rush and buy an album, but I can listen to and appreciate them today as I couldn't a decade ago.

Yeah that song is decent. I should probably actually listen to some of their albums, rather than just the stuff I've heard on the radio.

Most of my fav 60s albums are from 1969 though:

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
Coven - Witchcraft Destroys Minds & Reaps Souls
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica
High Tide - Sea Shanties
Marlena Shaw - The Spice of Life
Golden Earring - Eight Miles High

These from other years are great:

Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow
Blue Cheer - Vincebus Eruptum
Jimmy Witherspoon - Evenin' Blues
Deep Purple - Shades of Deep Purple
Karel Appel - Musique barbare
Henry Mancini - The Pink Panther

Others I listen to such as Janis Ian and Arbee Stidham may still grow on me yet. Julie London has a couple of alright 60s albums (Latin in a Satin Mood and Julie...At Home), but her 50s stuff is so much better.

Reactions: CiG
@CiG Whaddya mean stuck? You got caught Somewhere in Time? ;)

We polled top 10 lists back to 1967 in the GMD Social section, but for any year older than that I can just list every release I've heard because I only know 1-4 releases per year.

• Haha
Reactions: CiG