Best music discoveries of 2009

Dick Sirloin

please... stay safe
Jan 6, 2004
Nice to know I can still find stuff that excites me. Just when I think I've heard all there is to hear.... Really, is there NO END to this music thing?

TIM BUCKLEY - Folk rock / jazz / experimental singer from the late sixties. Father of Jeff Buckley. Truly one of the greatest singers of the twentieth century. His voice gets me wet. I've only heard his first two (the first six are supposedly the best), but they are pure sixties folk rock songwriting greatness. Demilich, are you listening? Anyway, apparently things get much weirder from here on out, culminating in 1970's Starsailor.

WIRE - Post-punk from the late seventies, they recorded three critical masterpieces in three years and promptly disbanded. 1977's Pink Flag has a heavier semi-punk sound to it, and a ton of very short tracks. The next one, Chairs Missing, is a bizarro mix of punk, prog, pop, avante-garde, krautrock and about a million other things. Think London Calling on drugs. I haven't heard the third one yet, but the two I have are complete 10/10. After Christmas I bought about sixteen albums at once and decided to listen to them all about six times and, like a tournament, choose a "winner." (Yes, this is the dumb shit I come up with sometimes). Anyway, Chairs Missing won.

STUFF KICKING MY DICK IN I NEED TO EXPLORE FURTHER: Spacemen 3, Faust, Husker Du, Portishead, Aphex Twin and electronic music in general. Some newer indie pop sort of stuff is good but it is usually either hit or complete miss.

I get the feeling some of these prog/acid-folk albums will make the list.

many of these are bands i've known about but never bothered to give the old college try til recently

EKPYROSIS
THE ANGELIC PROCESS
CULT OF LUNA
TULUS
KHOLD
NUCLEAR DEATH
BAY LAUREL
MEFISTO
OBSCURITY

Finally giving Devin Townsend's solo projects a listen. I seriously cannot stop listening. Ki's not that great though.
Worthy mentions:
Dissection
Pain of Salvation
Taake

So far only a couple of really good bands. Long distance calling and Black Lotus.

I can't say anything about Gwynbleidd yet because I haven't had time to listen to the cds yet.

Iron Maiden will be my first discovery. Can't wait.

Cult of Luna sucks. One need only to take a look at a picture of those emo fags. Get Neurosis and witness apocalypse from now on.

Skagos, Antimatter, Gentle Giant and Beardfish are probably the most relevant/best.

I should listen to "Cobalt" I suppose since people on some forums seem to be raving about them.

Skagos
Myrkraverk
Leech
Black Lotus (Reminds me of Age of Silence if they switched to black metal)
Solstafir - Masterpiece of Bitterness (For some reason I thought I owned this, but it turned out Til Valhallar was their only album in my collection)
Luror - The Iron Hand of Blackest Terror (Tips glass towards Erik)
Hammers of Misfortune - The Bastard (Never heard this album in it's entirety until about a month back.)

Tim Buckley Rules...Portishead RULE...but they both <<<< Jeff Buckley ...truly a man who died WAY too early.

Anyhow, I discover shit all the fucking time because it's really all I fucking do tbh. Off the top of my head, the best of the bunch in the past few months have been:

Singularity - Of All The Mysteries
Yezda Urfa - Boris
Ebjorn Svensson Trio
Sloche
Deluge Grander
Mar De Robles - Indigena
DM Stith - Heavy Ghost
Henry Cow
Art Bears
Thinking Plague
Universal Totem Orchestra
...and various jazz shits

Even though I discovered Magma pre-2009, they have only just began to totally captivate my balls within the past few months, so I guess they should indeed belong here. Christian Vander FTW.

Dude, papa stomps a HOLE into Jeff. Srsly. Nothing he ever did will EVER top "I Never Asked To Be Your Mountain." Listen and learn, son.

Oh and he also died a much more badass death. Heroin overdose >>>> drowning like a dumbass :loco:

Also: have you heard Jeff Buckley's cover of Genesis' "Back In NYC"?

EDIT: Genesis? Iron Maiden? Dissection? What the fuck is wrong with you people?!?

Jeff Buckley is totally fucking overrated. Someone prove me wrong please! I've tried so many times

I hope the old man has more to offer, I will be listening.

Never gave Dissection much of a chance due to the name. I thought they'd be another bland Swedish death metal band from yesteryear. Boy was I surprised.

Cult of Luna sucks. One need only to take a look at a picture of those emo fags.

you don't "get" cult of luna

admittedly i have no idea if their last two albums are good though, i've heard the s/t, the beyond and salvation and they are all great

CULT OF LUNA

i used to have their split with switchblade (2000) can't recall seeing it for a few years though aside from the switchblade-cd i got from the same label at PUNKFEST 3.1. it's however pretty awesome too.

edit: sold it to hannas syrra 2-3 years ago.