Your Go-To Saturation

Kaleb Formz

Aug 27, 2013
Recently I got my hands on Wavearts Saturator t try it on my GTR bus (Been using SPL Twintube for ever Love it) And I was really impressed. Really impressed. Haven't found a use for it aside from my GTR bus but it sounds better (sometimes) than twintube. Whats your go to's this year?

Tape -Satin (Was using TBreelbus for a while but tried satin & was blown away!)
GTR & Bass - Still SPL Twintube I think it's ridiculously good.
Drums pieces - Twintube! fanboy :headbang:
Vocals - Satin tape (It's the only thing I found that you can drive the vocals hard without it sounding harsh like with tube Premaps etc.)

Tape- +1 Satin
everything else Podfarm preamps.
Sometimes I might only want my guitar bus to have tape saturation.

VCC/VTM for the most part; if I specifically want to juice something up more (vocals, shells, sometimes gtrs or bass) I reach for FabFilter's Saturn or SoundToys' Decapitator most of the time. The CLA76 Bluey comp with GR off and input up can be really cool as a distortion box, too.

I've been playing around with FG-Mu, with no GR, turn down the output -16 dB and turn up the input 16 dB, should start bringing in some very nice tube saturation and - if you push it harder - distortion.

PS - Ermz, I've seen a few posts from you around here lately again, good to see.

SDRR here.
Fuckin nice and versatile, for only a few bucks.

Ohmforce Ohmicide is also killer (multiband distortion).

I know it's not very popular here, but I still use some Nebula programs too (mainly AlexB CLC/VBC and CDSM TapeBooster+), almost always in addition to SDRR and Ohmicide.

I've started using Ozone harmonizer after using VCC since it was released. I like it more. You can choose the hz are which Ozone is gonna saturate. I have found that although VCC is nice and all it saturates the whole mix which i don't like, you get some nice effects but on it also smear things out to much which i don't like when it comes to metal-mixes.

I think people tend to over-saturate these days.

i'm in love with satson in 'fat'-mode... gain cranked pretty high (make sure to enable the volume-compensation)

Satson to gain stage > Toneboosters Reelbus on channels.
I use Logic's pedalboard plugin if I want distortion on anything.
Klanghelm SDRR on busses.
Klanghelm SDRR and hardware Drawmer 1968me on master.

I've started using Ozone harmonizer after using VCC since it was released. I like it more. You can choose the hz are which Ozone is gonna saturate. I have found that although VCC is nice and all it saturates the whole mix which i don't like, you get some nice effects but on it also smear things out to much which i don't like when it comes to metal-mixes.

I think people tend to over-saturate these days.

I've found that running VCC only on busses provides a nice middle ground for metal. You can still achieve that razor sharp sound, while also getting some nice musical glue. I agree with your sentiment about over-saturation though. Beyond a certain point it begins to work against you with metal.

What bothers me more than the smearing of VCC is the frequency-specific effects. For instance the 4k always bloats the low mids and subdues the highs, while the Brit N loosens up the subs and makes the highs harsher. You begin to fight against yourself and just wish for a more transparent saturation effect at times.