Your Go-To Saturation

If VCC is over-saturating, maybe back off on the gain staging? I don't mean that to be condesending, I respect the level of skill in this thread / forum.

I think the trick with VCC is to apply the right desk to the source. For example, the API emulation on drums makes it "pop" a lot more and sound much cleaner than the SSL 4k emulation.

The harsh highs on the Neve can always be tamed with VTM.

I'm hoping the transformer models in VMR are less coloured (or EQ shift) as the FG-Mu, but perform the same magic on the highs - ie, smooth them out.

If VCC is over-saturating, maybe back off on the gain staging? I don't mean that to be condesending, I respect the level of skill in this thread / forum.

I think the trick with VCC is to apply the right desk to the source. For example, the API emulation on drums makes it "pop" a lot more and sound much cleaner than the SSL 4k emulation.

The harsh highs on the Neve can always be tamed with VTM.

I'm hoping the transformer models in VMR are less coloured (or EQ shift) as the FG-Mu, but perform the same magic on the highs - ie, smooth them out.

Gain staging isn't the problem.

Ermz last post pretty much hit the nail how i feel about VCC. You get glue yes, but the negatives sides overpowers the good sides.

And i was all about good tape plugins a year ago. I still use em on occasion but the whole - I strap em on the mix bus because it adds punch and depth thing is over for me. It's a fast way to get your mix more ready but it also add's stuff which you can't really control. So yes, its harder to get a good mix when you stay away from those plugins but in the end atleast I am getting better results now, when im off the saturation wagon haha!

VCC, VTM and Soundtoys Decapitator. I put VCC and VTM on most tracks, but when I want to push something that little bit further I usually pull out Decapitator. It works great, but it's very easily overdone.

Gain staging isn't the problem.

Ermz last post pretty much hit the nail how i feel about VCC. You get glue yes, but the negatives sides overpowers the good sides.

And i was all about good tape plugins a year ago. I still use em on occasion but the whole - I strap em on the mix bus because it adds punch and depth thing is over for me. It's a fast way to get your mix more ready but it also add's stuff which you can't really control. So yes, its harder to get a good mix when you stay away from those plugins but in the end atleast I am getting better results now, when im off the saturation wagon haha!

I've actually been planning on mixing a song twice, once with Slate suite, then a second time with clean plugins (ie, reaplugs) to really see what the saturation is doing to mixes. Of course, there are obvious things, but there may also be less obvious things such as how the bass sits, and the different instruments mix into each other.

tried satson, like the channel for pushing things front/back, replace the studio one mixtool thing.

not into saturation much, otherwise

I quite like CamelCrusher by Camel Audio for vocals. Klanghelm SDRR for drum and master busses.

VCC mix bus on group busses, vocals and master bus. Slate says you should put it on every single track but basically I can't be bothered and dunno how great that would really be for metal anyway. Find myself using the SSL and Neve emulations the most. Might try the API on drums like someone suggested.

I print everything through VCC/VTM using a trim plugin to keep the average of the input into VCC where its just barely hitting 0 on the meters. I also do it with 8X oversample on VCC and with noise, wow & flutter turned all the way down on VTM. Keeps things nice and clean but adds a vibe I like to the tracks before I even begin mixing anything. At that point if I feel I want a little more saturation on anything I'll reach for AC1

When you guys use the VCC, do you use the drive control to increase the saturation, or do you just let the track hit 0 on the VU meter so that it engages automatically? Combination of both?