Your Honest Review of Book of Souls

Acujer

Apr 14, 2008
I am just curious of your honest opinions, negative and positive. I needed to hear it more as I was hopping it would grow on me, so I just listened to it all the way through, and my opinion is it is one of the worst Iron Maiden albums with Bruce, despite the epic look and feel to it. I am curious what some of you think of it.

According to me, this is a 90 minute snooze fest, literally, of epic proportions! I want to say it sounds like they just called it in but that contradicts how long this is. This makes me concerned, as I wonder if Iron Maiden actually really worked hard on this, which would mean, they may be all out of ideas and can't write for shit anymore. I mean, what would an album sound like if they didn't work this hard?

I really am not sure what the point of these overly long drawn out songs are, that lack so much luster, with barely anything memorable in the least bit. The singing seems to be the only thing good on this album with a few cringey moments, but generally Bruce sounds really good..I mean, long prog songs are great if it keeps your interest all the way and actually goes somewhere like Close to the Edge or Dogs, or even Victim of Changes, but these songs come across as a 4 hour Michael Bay movie with no editor.

I don't understand all the 5 star reviews and how this album sold so well around the world. These songs seem to really go nowhere with nothing new or interesting in them, and you have to sit through such long songs that really never take off.

Let's take the last song for example, Empire of the Clouds: We have this way too long piano segment into what exactly? It seems to really not have much payoff for such a long song. The guitar licks that go on in the parts I suppose they thought would be peaking, are pretty simple boring guitar riffs.

Is it me, or are there parts in this album that sound like bad versions of other Maiden songs? I mean what the hell is with the "Woahh woahh" parts in I think it is The Great Unkown, (honestly the songs all sound the same to me and are so unmemorable I can barely distinguish them) this sounds like the roady Heaven Can Wait part. Seriously, what the hell?

One thing I found funny, was somewhere around 9 minutes in The Red and the Black, Janick does a guitar solo where I imagine some young guy shopping in Guitar Center trying out guitars, the sales guy let's him plug in, and then he cranks it and the kid seems to think everyone in the store needs to hear his "rock star" solo.

I am not one of those Maiden fans that only worship the few classic albums. I loved many songs from Brave New World, Dance of Death and A Matter of Life and Death. These Colours Don't Run, Brighter Than a Thousand Suns and Longest Day are worth the price of admission alone and are exploding with passion!

But this to me, is a failure on a massive scale, and although I feel to judge this properly I do owe it another listen, as I am open to the possibility of it growing on me, but it will be like pulling teeth to get myself to sit through this again.

So now we are going to have a world wide tour where half the show will be from this album? What's going on here?

It's ok if you don't agree with me, now let's hear from you!

I loved Speed Of Light the moment I heard it. It was fast paced and exciting to me. I liken it to the first time I heard The Wicker Man - it really got me pumped. I liked the opener, If Eternity Should Fail, but it has definitely grown on me more as I've listened to it. The Great Unknown I wasn't keen on but has gotten better for me. The Red & The Black was another stand out for me - the sing-a-long bits I loved and can totally picture that live. Another one that took a bit to grow on me but is now one of my favourites is Tears Of A Clown. When I learnt it was about Robin Williams I listened to the lyrics more and it just really hit me how sad the song was. The chorus especially is very powerful.

The only song that I really can't get going with is Empire Of The Clouds. I thought it was going to be like Where The Wild Wind Blows (which is one of my all time favourite Maiden songs) but it really didn't go anywhere for me. I loved the piano bits but it just seemed overly long and the guitar parts in the middle section were just very repetitive and didn't really go anywhere for me.

So I do like the album, but I wouldn't call it one of the best things they've ever done - which I have seen a few opinions of. I look forward to seeing how some of the songs translate to a live enviroment. :)

Last edited:
I appreciate everyone's thoughts (and humor) on this. The second disc was my favorite from the getgo, especially "Death or Glory." Yeah, I'm still not a big fan of Empire of the Clouds--I appreciate what went into it but it's a bit too...I dunno...musical theater for my tastes. But just about every song has a part or section that really sends me, even if it's not total love from start to finish on every tune. I, too, look forward to hearing these live and I bet hearing them live will make me appreciate the recording even more.

I LOVE Empire of the Clouds! It's a cool story, right up Bruce's alley and the guitar work is insane! Possibly the most complex Maiden tune to date, IMO. The more I listen to it the faster the 18 minutes go by. That means time flies when you're having fun! Also, the fact that Bruce belted these insane vox parts with a golf ball size lump on the back of his tongue is totally nuts! LOVE IT! Album is good, interesting and musically over the top. Let me conclude with one last word... NICKO!

I LOVE Empire of the Clouds! It's a cool story, right up Bruce's alley and the guitar work is insane! Possibly the most complex Maiden tune to date, IMO. The more I listen to it the faster the 18 minutes go by. That means time flies when you're having fun! Also, the fact that Bruce belted these insane vox parts with a golf ball size lump on the back of his tongue is totally nuts! LOVE IT! Album is good, interesting and musically over the top. Let me conclude with one last word... NICKO!

I love the lyrics, it just doesn't hold my interest as much as say Rime Of The Ancient Mariner or Sign Of The Cross.

So I'm the only one here who thinks this album sucks and Iron Maiden has shown us with the last 2 albums they can't write good songs anymore?

I did notice that there is way too much compression on this recording... especially the drums. At least I think that's what the issue is. Something slightly off with the production IMO.

Have you noticed some of the songs sound like rehashings of older songs? That "woahhh woaahhh" part is weird don;t you think?

I think there's a Seventh Son riff there too somewhere.
But compare A Matter of Life and Death tot his, since that wasn't that long ago. The Longest Day, These Colours Don't Run and Brighter Than a Thousand Suns. People may complain that they were not like the classic songs, but just looking at them in isolation, look how exquisitely well written and passionate those songs are. With a huge driving force behind the songs. This new album seems very formulaic like they were doing a paint by numbers trying too hard to do something great, but ended up with some type of pseudo prog metal album without the finesse or passion.

Listen to Janick's solo in somewhere around 9 minutes in The Red and the Black, imagine a young Hesher at Guitar Center in around 1987 trying to show off to all the customer in the store is newly learned fast licks.

Listen to Janick's solo in somewhere around 9 minutes in The Red and the Black, imagine a young Hesher at Guitar Center in around 1987 trying to show off to all the customer in the store is newly learned fast licks.

Yeah, I'm always for leaving the leads to Dave and Adrian. Nothing like a DM solo! :worship: :worship:

I know Maiden thrives to move forward, but I say bring Martin Birch back from retirement for the next studio effort! I'm still thinking meh! about the production quality of Book of Souls.

So I'm the only one here who thinks this album sucks and Iron Maiden has shown us with the last 2 albums they can't write good songs anymore?

No,you're not the only one...I listened to it once,fell asleep at half time. Although to be fair I found the "Final frontier" boring as well...Maiden became too progressive for me. God knows I love and respect them,but these last two albums are "thanks,but no,thanks" for me.

Reactions: Johann von Marck
I love it, but think the production is maybe a bit too perfect at times... It is definitely more gritty than The Final Frontier, I'll give them that. The songs themselves are amazing I think, and I like the ambition that went into it. In a world dominated by the single, the guys decided to go out and make a double album with 90 minutes of outstanding music. That 's not easy in the ADD culture we live in! Also remember they're not getting any younger, and most people would have given up long ago. Bruce has had cancer which had been a big knock for the band, but they've persevered anyway and are doing amazingly. I've watched some videos of them performing the songs live on their tour, and they sound brilliant, and strong as ever. I can't wait to see them!