Your idea of the ideal guitar

My ideal guitar is a modern take on an old classic, the strat. Throw away everything but the wood, get some active singles, Wilkinson trem, locking tuners and you have my ideal guitar. For a second ideal guitar, I'd just swap the singles for a pair of humbuckers.

Here! :)

I live near the factory outlet store in Santa Ana and had the opportunity to play one of these guitars on Saturday.

One thing that impressed me was the playability, especically considering that I'm not particularly a fan of set necks. The other thing that really got me was that when I tuned it down 2 1/2 steps, I didn't have to keep retuning it.

My idea of the perfect guitar:
pair of EMG humbuckers
jackson warrior body
maple and rosewood neck, red cedar body
mat silver hardware
real pearl fret markers in the shape of a skull+crossbones
mat black body with dark red devil tail crossing it

Pretty much my ESP/litd. F400FM, only with Sperzel tuners, TonesPro bridge/stop tail piece, and an EMG 89 in the neck.

I want a 24 fret neck-thru Koa with ebony fretboard and reverse headstock with locking tuners. Also no laquer on the back of the neck.

Obviously the body will be Koa as well and in a natural (actually stained) finish. It will be shaped and balanced like a higher end Peavey Vandenberg with an 81 in the bridge and a mild-mannered passive single coil in the neck for clean. It will also have a Wilkinson style tremola and a three way swicth with "dead" being in the middle position and a single tone and volume.

There is no "ideal" guitar though. For some stuff I like a wide Gibson style neck and the fretboard HAS to be laquered maple. If I want to play those "crying" David Gilmour type solos, a "shredder" guitar just doesn't work well as I would like it to for that. The shredder guitar would be my primary player as I play more of the heavy stuff than the slower stuff, but I do take as much pride in my phrasing and precision as I do any aspect of my playing, so a guitar I can really bend strings on the way I like is important as well.

Bryant

I want a 24 fret neck-thru Koa with ebony fretboard and reverse headstock with locking tuners. Also no laquer on the back of the neck.

Obviously the body will be Koa as well and in a natural (actually stained) finish. It will be shaped and balanced like a higher end Peavey Vandenberg with an 81 in the bridge and a mild-mannered passive single coil in the neck for clean. It will also have a Wilkinson style tremola and a three way swicth with "dead" being in the middle position and a single tone and volume.

There is no "ideal" guitar though. For some stuff I like a wide Gibson style neck and the fretboard HAS to be laquered maple. If I want to play those "crying" David Gilmour type solos, a "shredder" guitar just doesn't work well as I would like it to for that. The shredder guitar would be my primary player as I play more of the heavy stuff than the slower stuff, but I do take as much pride in my phrasing and precision as I do any aspect of my playing, so a guitar I can really bend strings on the way I like is important as well.

totally i agree

Nahhh... not luck... just a lot of hard work :)

Still not sure though about those EMGHZ pups that it came with. They actually do have a really nice sound, but it's kinda... I dunno... "thin". They may have to go for a JB/59 swap or something.

As for your sig picture... the picture has to be on the web somewhere... someplace where you can link to it in your sig using the "IMG" tag. Something like tripod or geocities or any of them won't work though... cuz they don't allow for remote hosting of images (which is what that would be). You could probably use something like Imageshack to host the image, but I've never used one of those places, so I can't say how good they work.

~Robert

Mine would be a mahogany body with a splated maple top, stained red on a double cut away prs style body with locking tuners, a wilkinson tremlo system, and two Dimarzio humbuckers Im not sure which ones it would also have as many frets as possible and plenty of fret access

let's see:
24 frets
humbuckers at the neck and bridge
string through
neck through
thin neck (think ibanez rg)
good knob placement
arch top
strat shaped
no faceplate
6 or 7 strings (i can't decided yet)
alder or mahogany body

something along these lines. haven't picked out the perfect pickups, though they will be passive humbuckers. so far i don't think any guitar company makes this, so i'll have to get a luthier to make one for me.

my idea of the ideal guitar.... not hard, i almost got mine... my 7 string... its a black 2001 Ibanez RG7421, no trem, string thru body, sustains forever... right now i still have the stock Ibanez V7-7 and V8-7 pickups, but amazingly they sound awesome, the only one i would change is the bridge, i'm considering an EMG-707... anyways back to ideal... its basswood body, maple neck with bubinga strip, rosewood fretboard... i did a half scallop on it, so 12-24 r scalloped... the guitar plays like a dream... it is my main ax... it plays well sitting down and standing up..... the only thing that would make it even better would be neck thru, but we can't always get what we want eh...

the alumnus said:
let's see:
24 frets
humbuckers at the neck and bridge
string through
neck through
thin neck (think ibanez rg)
good knob placement
arch top
strat shaped
no faceplate
6 or 7 strings (i can't decided yet)
alder or mahogany body

something along these lines. haven't picked out the perfect pickups, though they will be passive humbuckers. so far i don't think any guitar company makes this, so i'll have to get a luthier to make one for me.

so basically a high model Ibanez S series?

this is pretty similar to my main guitar:

Untitled-21.jpg

although mine is a little more "tricked-out" from the ibanez custom shop, and last year, i put in custom-wound dimarzios

so the one that i already have is my ideal

ADS said:
My ideal guitar would probably look something like this...

http://adifferentsun.com/slsmg.html

...which I became proud owner of today :D

Neck-thru, string-thru, mahogany, ebony... man this thing just... fricking... RAWKS!!! I think I've died and gone to heaven. My fingers aren't bleeding yet though, so I don't think I've played it enough yet today.

~Robert

Beautiful axe dude !! I prefer the stop tail as opposed to string through, but I still like the guitar.

Bryant