Your nicks...

my nick comes from one of my friends forgetting my real name :D (stefan) when he was going to tell me something
and just said the first thing on his mind which was "spaffe" :)

Originally posted by ilyc
A couple of years ago, let's say, 4 years, I met this girl named Yuanky Cheung (she was obviously Chinese, although I never asked...) I really liked her and kind of fell in love with her...but it all soon ended, after a month or 2. But in the period I fell in love with her, I also came in contact with the medium called 'internet', and since I loved her, you get the line 'I Love Yuanky Cheung'...I.L.Y.C....geddit? :p

*Ghasps* !!! Someone with a deep meaning
behind their nick!! hehe... :eek:) Cute :eek:)

*bump*

Man, it's been a while for this thread. Brought over from "the happiest thing..."

Pontus.B said:
yo, I don't like ppl who take names from heroes and other persons that exists in books or films, because you can't live up to them and that disgrace the name! so please don't take a name you ain't worth.
And I don't belive you are a spear maiden are you ?

My 2 cents: Actually, I rather like when people use such names, as was evident from my complement to FDM. While I understand your problem that people can't live up to it, I see it quite differently. I see the net as a place where many people can project a different side of themselves. Not always vastly different, and it also need not be anti-thetical to their IRL personality, but just different. And choices of avatars, usernames, signatures, and all that are insights and an extension of this online personality. Having something like "Far Dareis Mai" tells me more about her than Pontus.B tells me about you. We ALL know she's not a maiden of the spear, but I figure some part of her identifies with them, and, to a certain extent, may even idealize them. Of course, the only way to know what she's actually like is through communication which is the entire point of boards like this one.

OK, that felt a little to preachy... sorry.

For for the newer folk on the forum, feel free to answer the question posed at the base of this thread.

carry on.

Now Playing: Opeth -- Blackwater Park -- Harvest
/* random quote */
"He's just not the sharpest knife in the drawer. But that's what we get when Democrats run awful campaigns. Really, Democratic candidates should be more mindful of their responsibility to protect this country from their opponents."
-Michael Kimmitt

The Nomad said:
*bump*

Man, it's been a while for this thread. Brought over from "the happiest thing..."

My 2 cents: Actually, I rather like when people use such names, as was evident from my complement to FDM. While I understand your problem that people can't live up to it, I see it quite differently. I see the net as a place where many people can project a different side of themselves. Not always vastly different, and it also need not be anti-thetical to their IRL personality, but just different. And choices of avatars, usernames, signatures, and all that are insights and an extension of this online personality. Having something like "Far Dareis Mai" tells me more about her than Pontus.B tells me about you. We ALL know she's not a maiden of the spear, but I figure some part of her identifies with them, and, to a certain extent, may even idealize them. Of course, the only way to know what she's actually like is through communication which is the entire point of boards like this one.

Have to agree with you The Nomad :)

yeah, but I am a big fan of Robert Jordan and I have read many of his books and I feel that I know the ppl in the books, I am deep when I read books...

I don't like when ppl use thier names as nick cuz it gives the person using it a false picture, because no one can become a person from the books, it gives ZERO information about the real person accept that he/she read WoT and like the spear maidens. If you really want to be like a (group) or person that exists in the books remember that you can't be someone else you can only be yourselfe!
If you want to act like a member of a group act like them exactly or just don't bother. You can't get anywhere by cheating.

I know you don't think or feel the same, I do care so I can't ignore it totaly I have to try and explain it. For me this is very important I can't explain more right now so this have to do it for now.

btw, I think my nick shows that I dare to be myself and I am VERY proud of it! And that I take things serious and stands for all my actions.

enjoy!

/Pontus Bergsten

Some of us despise our names...and I would never pick 'Tracy' for a handle (though my last name is Warning, which is pretty damn cool).

I don't really feel like going into the details again so here is the post in which I did explain.

I didn't pick this name to become a spear maiden. I picked it because I identify with them. You also shouldn't let me ruin your perception of Far Dareis Mai. Most people are able to grasp the difference.

Also, a handle can't define who you are. My real name 'Tracy Warning' doesn't do that at all. But humans like to name things so we're all stuck being stereotyped and labeled. Deal with it.

My post about what a nick say about a person was NOT directed to you FDM it was for The Nomad.

FDM:

This is not personal so if you feel that it is I am very sorry for that. I do always tell ppl that use this kind of nick. I did only write what I think so that you might understand how I think and thus not be so angry cuz I don't like your nick.

I know that you are defending yourselfe but you don't have to because I have not attacked you I did only say I don't like that ppl use nicks from books and stuff. Don't say I have to understand other ppl when they don't understand me!

hehe, if you don't understand something just ask me and I am going to explain it to you.

Yeah, you two are talking past each other a bit. Deep breaths... deep breaths. I understand what both of you are saying, but to a certain extent, I think the tone of your posts are irritating each other. A little softer, perhaps?

(I never was a good mediator...)

OK, I'm off to dinner.

Now Playing: Sumo wrestling on a japanese channel
/* random quote */
"I wait and I wait and what I really hate
is the panic that stops me from breathing"

My name was indeed taken from a book...guess which one! (; But, I was not the one to choose it, it was another person who was a fan of that book who said, well, since you cry so much, I think that nickname would suit you... So, I kepty it....it's been 3 years I'm called that mostly everywhere on the net...I even made a selfportrait that applies to the nick as well as looks like me, and..err...I didn't think of it while I made it...I just let my hands float, and there it was

My nick is Arch.
My real name is Arch.

The reason I call myself Draugen, is because it's one of my favourite songs with Otyg. And draugen was, according to nordic folklore, a sea-being. And yes, I really like the sea/ocean/lake-thing...

"Lagopus" is an animal or a bird that has fur or feather over the whole body down to the toes or claws- Buteo Lagopus

Anima/Animus- spirit of some kind