Your Top 5 hardcore/metalcore Bands

LuminousAether said:
Anti-Everything... half those aren't even hardcore / metalcore. Living Sacrifice, The Red Chord, and Lamb of God are not metalcore or hardcore.
Actually, The Red Chord are hardcore. More so than most of the fucking garbage listed in this topic. Being 'hardcore' is as much scene posturing as it is musical sound. For example, why are Darkest Hour hardcore but Shadows Fall not? The Red Chord have members who have all been in great hardcore bands(their drummer was in HASSAN I SABBAH for christs sake!), they play $5 house shows, tour with hardcore bands and are even on a hardcore label. Their sound is very much a death-metal/grindcore hybrid, yes but if a band like Between The Buried And Me is hardcore, then The Red Chord definitely are.

When I saw them tour they were shocked and surprised that they were barriers at the gig, because they're so used to playing hardcore shows.

Anyway, my top 10 because 5 is too hard:

1. City of Caterpillar (R.I.P)
2. Envy
3. Converge
4. Pg.99 (R.I.P)
5. Orchid (R.I.P)
6. Discordance Axis (R.I.P)
7. The Dillinger Escape Plan
8. Indian Summer (R.I.P)
9. The Red Chord
10. 5ive's Continuum Research Project

Darkest Hour aren't hardcore. Shadows Fall are far more metalcore (not hardcore simp) than Darkest Hour, who are pretty much 99% melodic death.

BTBAM aren't purely metalcore either, but they are MUCH more metalcore than The Red Chord. BTBAM also has indie rock in their sound (about 20% of their music) which sets them even further from the pack.

If you define musical styles by lyrical content and attitude, you have just made the stupidest mistake imaginable. That is quite simply retarded, to tell the truth. One of the only reasons genres exist are to help people know what a band will roughly sound like before they try them out. The Red Chord sounds more like Nasum than they do Minor Threat (hardcore) or even Poison the Well (metalcore), they are death / grind with sprinkles of hardcore, not metalcore. Musical genres are completely based upon the musical style, not the lyrical content or attitudes.

Why can't The Red Chord be called Metalcore? They have Death Metal, Grindcore, and Hardcore elements, which is kind of redundant. Grindcore is a mixutre of Death Metal and Hardcore in itself. Basically, they are Metal and Hardcore. Now doesn't that give you Metalcore?

I liked Lamb of God, but a magazine publication I read had them under death metal, so I started calling them death metal until I came across a website that mentioned them as metalcore, so once again I considered them a fave of mine in metalcore, until I heard some more of their material and realized most of their music is indeed death metal, so once again they were a favorite death metal band of mine until I came across this metalcore thread and saw them mentioned as metalcore, making it official until an argument broke out whereas one of you brought up the fact that a magazine publication referred to them as death metal.

GLAD EVERYTHING'S CLEARED THE FUCK UP

I've heard Lamb of God called thrash sometimes, I dont really know what to call them so I will just call them metalcore to make it easier. :loco:

The hardcore that I like would be stuff thats more like melodic death (Darkest Hour, The Black Dahlia Murder, Hamartia, Shadows Fall, God Forbid, Asherah, Faust Again, Himsa, If Hope Dies, All That Remains, Between the Buried and Me, As I Lay Dying ect...). I dont really know if all those bands even are metalcore/hardcore but they seem like it to me.
The Red Chord are pretty cool. Isis and Disfear rule, but a lot of the bands mentioned on this thread I have never heard of.

For a favorite, I would like to mention Burst...Not 100% hardcore or anything like that, generally unclassifiable, but they do have some hardcore elements, or something.

...Also, it look like 2004 is off to an excellent start.

Swarm Of The Lotus - When White Becomes Black

WOW, I am thouroughly impressed. Agressive, pissed off Metalcore that destroys all. I love it.

Because they seem to have completely forgot about such things as dynamics, a coherent sound, and production even reasonably approaching good. When I want stuff that heavy and chaotic, it better actually have bass in the sound. Too bad they stuck so far in the high end, there's no "oomph" to their music. It's loud and fast sure, but it's like As I Lay Dying in that the production just fucking kills it. Also, there are bands out there doing similar shit so much better. Like Dripping (who also need some seriously rehauled production) and The Red Chord.

I actually really enjoy Ion Dissonance. But after a while all these "tech metal" bands with a thousand different time changes a song get boring and all start to blur together. They are all bascially trying to "out-Dillinger" each other.

HOLY SHIT! Has anyone heard of Ananda?! Even the brutalist of Death Metal bands can't even imagine being this evil and this hateful. WOW! It's bands like this that really make people who put down Metalcore look like idiots. This is about as nasty as it gets. I think I found my new favorite band!

Fuck yeah.

Hardcore:
-Sick Of It All
-Madball
-American Nightmare
-Holding On
-Trial

Fuck, that doesn't even begin to cover it... Ten Yard Fight, With Honor, A Chorus of Disapproval...

Metalcore:
-Unearth
-Converge
-Cave In
-Shai Hulud
-One King Down ('Bloodlust' era with Fusco)