Your top 5 WW2-movies

Tranquillian

Svartmetallist
Oct 10, 2001
I'm sitting here at work watching the dvd for "Where eagles dare" which is a true classic world war 2 movie. That made me think of all the possibly great WW2 movies I haven't seen yet. Please list your top 5 WW2 movies.

1. Band of brothers (it's a tv-series but it counts)
2. Saving private Ryan
3. Where eagles dare
4. A bridge too far
5. The longest day

only one that comes to mind is Saving Private Ryan. I'll need to wait till others list theirs, as I haven't sen any of those others you listed.

was Thin Red Line WWII? If so, that movie wouldn't make my top 100. awful, awful film.

does Indiana Joes and the Last crusade count? Hitler was in it, you know.

was Memphis Belle WWII?

Patton (EASILY the best)
Das Boot
Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence
The Thin Red Line (arthouse > hollywood)
The Bridge on the River Kwai

Worthy of mention:

Guns of Navarone
The Great Escape
Schindler's List
The Heroes of Telemark
U-571 (although entirely inaccurate, but great submarine scenes)
Saving Private Ryan (for the first 20 minutes, the rest is atrocious - Vin Diesel? Tom Hanks? Ted fucking Danson?)
Where Eagles Dare
1941 :tickled:

Lawrence of Arabia is the greatest war movie of all time though, which everyone should recognize, but it's WWI.

Jesus christ this is fucking pathetic. I haven't seen ANY films mentioned so far, except stinkin' Indiana Jones. I need to go to Blockbuster god dammit.

I've seen lots of Vietnam movies, please don't call me bad names! *hides*

Best Vietnam movies!!

Platoon
The Deer Hunter
Born on the Fourth of July
Full. Metal. Motherfucking. Jacket.
Apocalypse Now

And no Rambo does not count since he's a gay cunt with a droopy lip.

I've seen all of the movies you've listed so far except 1941 (which is a comedy) and Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence (which doesn't sound like a hardboiled war movie).

The problem with WW2 movies is that they're all pro-America. That's why the world should fucking salute people like Oliver Stone, and others like Michael Bay should be thrown down a well for crap like Pearl Harbor. Ben Affleck needs to have his head kicked in too.

So my question is, which WW2 movies show things from the other perspective? Any nazi war films? And no, I don't mean, Ilsa....

ilsacover.jpg

Tranquillian said:
Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence (which doesn't sound like a hardboiled war movie).
No, it's more a prison movie I suppose, set in Japan and starring David Bowie. Great, great soundtrack by the way. Not many war films set in Asia Pacific, even though there was a lot happening out there too. I suppose there's "Men Behind the Sun" but I suppose that's more gore/exploitation...

menbehindthesundvdth.jpg

hahaha two zings on me tonight mufucka! Truth be told you can pin it on my pops, since he fought in Vietnam watching all the movies was just part of my education as a wee lad. You think my mistrust of the government is something new? :Spin:

I've only seen half of The Guns Of Navaronne but that was still amazing. The £20 pricetag on the DVD still seems worthwhile (but I could get the Cowboy Bebop film or New Dominion Tank Police series for the same....)

I'm reading Sven Hassel as well! :D Read Reign Of Hell the other month, plodding through SS General right now. They seem more black comedy than much else. Great stuff. Strange how Reign Of Hell was supposed to be about razing Warsaw to the ground and they didn't actually get round to it til the last few chapters, looks like SS General's going that way too...ah well, that's his style I guess.

Those Sven Hassel novels kick a serious amount of arse. How many of those are biographic and how many are mere fiction (From someone who really was there, though)? Two of da real stufs or maybe I'm just horribly misinformed?