your top 5 scary movies

gabriel g.

Sep 7, 2006
Hamburg
www.myspace.com
Movies that made

your heart beat so fast......
you shit in your pans....
that fucked your head so bad that you had bad dreams....

So I start:

1. Blairwitch project (only at the first time)
2. Event horizon
3. Nightmare on Elmstreet (11 years ago, holy shit!!!)
4. Rec (the last movie in years that totaly scared me)
5. Seven (not a horror movie but Mr. Spacey was so frightening)

The same I way I never cry or get deeply touched by movies, I also never get scared. The last thing I remember being scared on tv was while playing Condemned 1 (the videogame).
It may sound silly, but one of the creepiest film that I can remember was "House on Haunted Hill" (1999 remake), which is pretty much a crappy 'teen terror' but it had some sick hospital sets.

Likewise, I don't find movies scary. I prefer to watch something that makes you feel uncomfortable whilst watching and the last movie that did it for me was Antichrist with Willem Dafoe.
But I do have favourites from the horror genre and in no particular order my five would be The Exorcist, The Omen, The Evil Dead, Rec and either Texas Chainsaw Massacre or the original Halloween.
Other notable mentions would be The Fly (the Cronenberg one), The Shining, Braindead (just so funny all out splatterfest), Saw and Ringu (the japanese Ring).
Horror has really nosedived in the last decade what with crap remakes and pointless sequels.

It may sound silly, but one of the creepiest film that I can remember was "House on Haunted Hill" (1999 remake), which is pretty much a crappy 'teen terror' but it had some sick hospital sets.

Yeah, saw that one at a cinema back when it came out and yes, the setting quite got me too.

1. Inland Empire (i'd recommend this to anyone and everyone from this forum, the only film thats ever genuinely terrified me and made me scared for my very existence. this WILL scare you, how much it scares you depends on your state of mind, but it will scare you on some level for fucking definate.)
2. Mulholland Drive/Suspiria tied. (although suspiria is too colourful to be really properly scary, watched it last friday and i was getting a total sensory overload and i started freaking out a bit, id class that as being scared *shrug*)
3. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (gotta love the black lodge)
4. Redneck Zombies (it's a fucking terrible movie but search for "redneck zombies tobacco man" and just ignore the horrible acting and horrible script and horrible photography and focus on the FEELING of it. it's dark stuff. get really stoned and it will take you on a huge spiritual journey, believe it.)
5. Donnie Darko (first time I saw it when I was 14, Frank got totally under my skin and every time I closed my eyes I saw that rabbit face and it utterly terrified me. Maybe that makes me a pussy, but whatevs haha, it's still up there as one the films that's really, truly scared me.)

Too me, scary isn't being made to jump or being made to feel sick by some nasty gore. Jumps are fun and stuff, sort of like a little intravenous shot of adrenaline, which is cool, but it's not scary.
Being made to feel sickened comes under the dictionary definition but anyone who doesn't make the distinction between stomach churning and head churning is a fool.
TRUE scariness comes from getting under your skin, filling your head with mental images that terrify you on a deep, subconscious level that you don't quite understand.
One thing that really scares me is Anthromorphology or however you spell it. I'm not sure why, but there you go. So any film with humanoid animal characters ends up fucking me up COMPLETELY. Within 5 minutes of Inland Empire starting there's a scene with 3 rabbits wearing suits in a living room stuck in a warped sitcom, speaking in fractured sentences with canned laughter bursting out at innapropriate moments and atmospheric synthy drone shit behind it.
First time I watched it I nearly burst into tears there and then.
THAT is what being scared is about.
I had NO fucking clue why it was scaring me so much, and it was obviously playing on some sort of deep seated fear I have somewhere in my subconscious.

Seriously, everyone should check out Inland Empire. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, and very few of you will probably really enjoy it, but it will scare the living fucking daylights out of you.

Rec was the last film that scared me. I thought it was awesome! I need to see Quarantine but its supposed to be shit compared to Rec.

Well, I've seen too many horror movies (and videos of real-life fucked up stuff, of which the two Russian youngsters torturing a drunk (?), homeless guy to death with a plumbing tool and a screwdriver takes the cake) to make them scary :p So I'll just post some of my favourites from the genre:

1) Hei tai yang 731 (mostly because the main subject of it is a true story from WW2)
2) À l'intérieur
3) The Thing (1982)
4) Imprint by Takashi Miike (Masters of Horror, Vol. 1)
5) Cigarette Burns by John Carpenter (Masters of Horror, Vol. 1)

And some extra mentions: Izô, Hellraiser, Alien

Rec was the last film that scared me. I thought it was awesome! I need to see Quarantine but its supposed to be shit compared to Rec.

I saw Quarantine not knowing it was based off Rec. Man do I regret that, worst movie ever.

I haven't really been scared by any movies lately, although I don't watch many horrors. Saw really scared me cos I was like 13. Fucking clown hovered over my bed for a week after that. Other than that, nothing really :/

Speaking of Saw...
Totally my one guilty pleasure when it comes to undeniably SHITTY movies.

I am awaiting Saw 6 eagerly :D:D
the saw series turns me into a kid on christmas morning

With horror movies these days, it's not fear or suspense that makes me uncomfortable watching them, it's the anticipation of some new extreme gore scene that I don't care to see.

Gore is so tasteless and disgusting in my opinion. A little bit of gore is cool, but not that kind that actively tries to turn your stomach.

Outside of that, I can't think of a movie that has gotten to me since I was a little kid. Some have a creepy vibe, but I don't really consider them scary.

I find myself not being scared from movies and I like watching movies with creepy atmosphere that makes you feel uncomfortable,as Tarbh666 also said. Seven is a must because of its plot and Spacey of course (The Horsemen with D.Quaid had potential,but failed),The Exorcist is an all time classic and I think that,regarding when it was made and the fact that it was a good movie and not just a splatter low-budget film,it has some of the most disturbing scenes. Salo is one the most disturbing movies ever,though not a horror-thriller movie.

I have mixed feelings about Rec,though the last scene of the movie is really top class! I liked the original Last House on the Left (I haven't seen the remake yet),Jacob's Ladder with T.Robbins (if you like Silent Hill games you have to see it),the first Ringu (with the last scene to be one of the creepiest),the Alien series (though the last one is more action than atmospheric),I enjoy Saw series (some more some less) and wait the next movie like a child as Gareth mentioned. Masters of Horror 1 had good moment (I haven't seen 2 yet.)

The last 6-8 years I find myself to enjoy asian thriller-horror movies,although I think nowadays it's more of a hype (after The Ring,The Eye,The Grudge,Dark Water,Pulse)remakes. These people really know to create creepy atmosphere without too much graphic violence. Ringu,Ju-On,Kairo,Gin Gwai are a good start. Men Behind The Sun is pretty sick because of true story.

I want to watch The Antichrist because of Daffoe,Von Trier and those extreme opinions I've read (either too good or too bad).

There's a movie though that it's not horror-thriller or anything like that,but brings me the chills every time I see it. It is Oldboy (and the next movie of that trilogy,Sympathy for Mrs.Vengeance is also very good). Unfortunately,a remake is planned,directed by Spielberg and Will Smith as the lead actor.... If you have watched Oldboy then answer me,how can the Prince of Bell Air play the role of Dae-su????? Fucking remakes....

I need to buy Inland Empire very soon, now that I have money that I don't have to actually spend on new guitar strings or guitar pickups or that shit.
For the most part, horrors don't really scare me and mind you I'm the sort of person who can get very emotional during movies.
A lot of movies I watch with lots of gore and shit tend to mix the genres around, like the Troma Entertainment productions.
For example, the film is ridiculously funny at some points and totally smacks of a lack of seriousness, but there is one particular scene which is down right disturbing and actually made me very squeamish.
I watched Sorority Row last month at the cinemas. I had to hold my friends hand during the movie, so she could squeeze my hand every time there was a jumpy moment.
And good lord, she give my hand a serious workout, it was so sore and sweaty by the end. I really should not be so nice and hold girl's hands in the movies.
It wasn't scary at all, it was in fact really bad.
But I'd watch it over and over again, because it was just fucking entertaining and had some great, witty one liners.

I haven't seen Eraserhead for 3 years (I was 17 when I last saw it), but just thinking about it scares the shit out of me.
That film doesn't leave you once you see it, seriously, you'll always remember parts of it.

There's this South Korean film called A Tale of Two Sisters, which was on TV where I am a few months ago.
And as I said I normally don't get scared by horrors, but this one scared the living fucking daylights out of me. After it ended I was just shaking and couldn't get it out of my head at all.
It really demands your attention (it's not the kind of movie you watch in a group, you just watch it by yourself late at night in a dark un-light room), but it's quite an incredible experience in my opinion.

Ringu was really good too, shame about the shitty American remake. It really lost the subtleties that made the Jap version so good.

I saw SAW 1 in the theater and it was great!!! I loved the scene with the camera..... but all other sequels are shit, and I hate them all!!!!!

But the director of the first one did some other amazing movies:
Death sentence with kevin bacon und dead silence (this one was a creepy one with puppets)

And Gareth I´m sorry but Inland Empire was the first and only David Lynch film I dont like. I hate the digi-cam look and the movie was too long and with no direction IMHO

Loved Lost Highway, blue velvet, twin peaks......

I saw the "the grudge" in the theater and this one was sooooo HARDCORE!!!!
I was so frightened when this voice starts to burp just right before some shock-effects!!!!Damn all my nachos fall on the ground....

Also I realy liked
-Strangers
-Mirrors

Better new ones....

Yeah, first SAW is kinda good, but it got old VERY quickly after the first one in the series.

I'm completely unaffected by scary/gore movies. I enjoy some of them. Now Bug with Ashley Judd really disturbed me. For me, it was a really hard movie to watch.

I'm completely unaffected by scary/gore movies.

Same here, I think the more brutal it gets the more inclined I am to start laughing, I must be a bit disturbed. :erk:

Gareth, I must have seen Donnie Darko about the same age, that rabbit thing (Frank?) made me burst out laughing, because it looked so utterly ridiculous to me. :p

With horror movies these days, it's not fear or suspense that makes me uncomfortable watching them, it's the anticipation of some new extreme gore scene that I don't care to see.

Gore is so tasteless and disgusting in my opinion. A little bit of gore is cool, but not that kind that actively tries to turn your stomach...

I couldn't agree with you more, Will. There are few modern "horror" movies that I like. Halloween is one of my favorite times of the year (as if that wasn't obvious) and you'll always find me watching more of the classic movies than modern ones.

My all time favorite, that I have watched almost every year around Halloween since I was a kid (and still gives me chills): The Legend Of Hell House (1970).