Your TOP 6 Metal/Music Idols!

1. MIKAEL AKERFELDT (Opeth)
2. Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree)
3. Jack Owen (Cannibal Corpse)
4. Jimi hendrix
5. Devin Townshend
6. James Hetfield

fat bastard said:
damn rights i meant warrel dane and tagtren, and by tom i meant the singer/guitarist from evergrey.

On a personal note, as much as I appreciate Tägtgrens work as a composer and a studio wiz, I have to say he should leave writing lyrics to someone more able. Most of his texts end up being pretty naive.

@forestofmyths: That story on your sig actually went down? That's hilarious! Åkerfeldt seems to have a good sense of humor, and most of the viewers probably didn't in that case, so he was right on the money. Damn, I want a videorip of that...

Argyle said:
On a personal note, as much as I appreciate Tägtgrens work as a composer and a studio wiz, I have to say he should leave writing lyrics to someone more able. Most of his texts end up being pretty naive.

i think i agree with you for the most part but sometimes i find simpler lyrics can be more effective in getting the point of a song across. to be honest it took a while before i truly began to appreciate his vocal talents since i sometimes found the way he recorded them to be a little muddy or just a little hard to make out due to some of the effects he would record them with but i found them to be amazing on the arrival and even better on the bloodbath cd( for sure the best death cd this year, nile bows before the talent displayed on that record). and musically i totally dig his style as far as his ability to blend more brutal parts with accessible parts maintaining a good sense of melody in both. i also enjoy how he mixes up different styles of metal riffs to create variety on songs.

Cerulean said:
Why him? He has hardly written any songs for them... If it's for the vocals, allright then.

for sure... DAnny writes the best lyrics

hmmm....this is totally off the top of my head without much thought but here goes....(I might change it later....)

1. Anders and the crew of course......
2. Mark Kozelek
3. Carl-Michael Eide----Bjørn Dencker----Yusef Parvez-----shit....basically everyone involved in Ved Buens Ende and dodhiemsgard.....and related bands....
4. Jeff buckley
5. Paul Masvidal and crew from CYNIC
6. AND GARY JULES.....the most underrated musician in his genre....if he has a genre....

1. Bill Steer (Carcass)
2. Michael Amott (everything in the pre-Gossow era)
3. Jeff Loomis (Nevermore)
4. Chuck Schuldiner
5. Nicke Andersson (ex-Entombed, some solos on Dismember's debut CD - killer!!)
6. of course, Dan Swanö... and, if I could replace one, this one would be replaced by Lee Dorian (Cathedral)

all six choices I've made are either because of their technical skills and way of playing their instruments or their way of arranging killer songs...

Michael Amott, everything pre-Gossow era?!

Have you heard new Arch Enemy?! It's fucking awesome! The riffs are just fucking unbelievable! I love the earlier shit too but the new shit is even better! I listen to the Doomsday Machine every day since I bought it! One of the best new albums I've heard in months! It's so fucking good! Check it out!

And Nicke Andersson rules. One of my favorite bands are The Hellacopters. Entombed has been almost lost without him. Did you know he sang vocals on Clandestine? He's not credited. But he did.

I've always wondered if his name was pronounced Nick or Nicky. Hmmm, I wonder...

-Vince

Jonas
Blakkheim
Neil Young (next to katatonia he makes the music that touches me more than no other)
Leonard Cohen (v under-rated lyricist in my opinion, particularly his 70's output)
Tony Iommi

Btw whats with that Opeth advert, 'hottest new metal sensation since slipknot'. Roadrunner trying to make them stars?

Dan Swano (all his projects)
Renkse & Blakkheim & Norrman ( o_O )
Mikael Akerfeldt
Alexander Balanescu (The Balanescu Quartet)
Stevie Ray Vaughan (in spite of his premature death :worship: )
Daniel Gildenlow
John Petrucci
Cavanagh Bros. (recently, they performed in 2004 in Romania an excellent acoustic live)
Peter Tagtren (all his projects)
Johan Edlund
Messiah Marcolin ( :Smokedev: )
Ralf & Florian (Kraftwerk)
Tori Amos (this woman drives me crazy :oops: )
Keith Jarrett (greatest piano master in the world)

This is not a ierarchical order, it's just how they came into my mind...

I'll keep it to six:

1. Jonas
2. Anders
3. Danny Cavanagh
4. Jon Nodtveidt
5. Fenriz
6. Liv Kristine

This is a pretty random list, I'll admit, but with so many to choose from I took a name from here and a name from there. I could list six from each genre I enjoy quite easily.

Argyle said:
Taneli Jarwa (Ex-Sentenced, The Black League)

Wrote some of the best lyrics ever, and also some of the best song on the first Black League album & Amok. This is the shit that got me playing and writing.

Tenkula & Lopakka (Sentenced)

Mainly Tenkula, as he has wrote most of the songs. The lyrics by Lopakka sometimes hit it, sometimes don't...
I'd say Lopakka's lyrics easily hit 9 out of 10 times. Up until the Funeral Album (which, I'll admit, I have yet to hear in full ... still a bit hesitant to buy it, as I feel it could only go downhill after Down/Frozen/Crimson. TCWL was good, but not quite great) there was only one song of his (the River) I didn't find deeply disturbing, touching or depressing.

Jarva kicked ass, and Ville L is decent too, but after Poisonblack I felt he was too, er, modest to write using anything other than misery as inspiration.

1. Daniel Liljekvist
2. Ville Valo (HIM)
3. Matthew Bellamy (Muse)
4. Mikko "Linde" Lindström (HIM)
5. Mika "Gas" Karppinen (HIM)
6. Mikko "Mige" Paananen (HIM)

Khayman666 said:
I'd say Lopakka's lyrics easily hit 9 out of 10 times. Up until the Funeral Album (which, I'll admit, I have yet to hear in full ... still a bit hesitant to buy it, as I feel it could only go downhill after Down/Frozen/Crimson. TCWL was good, but not quite great) there was only one song of his (the River) I didn't find deeply disturbing, touching or depressing.

Jarva kicked ass, and Ville L is decent too, but after Poisonblack I felt he was too, er, modest to write using anything other than misery as inspiration.

Lopakka is an awesome writer for sure, but in my opinion he has done too many cheesy lovesongs. Stuff like Killing me Killing you, Drown together and You are the one just aren't somethings I appreciate. But it's also a matter of personal taste of course. And what comes to The River, damn I love that song. The feeling of a depressed hang-over morning put into a song perfectly.

The Funeral Album didn't hit it as good as it could have, in my opinion TCWL is better. TFA has its moments, but there are few mediocre songs, which is always a dissapointment from a band like Sentenced...

Aside from Katatonia.....

Matthew Good for being a kickass Canadian
Trent Reznor (NIN) for soothing so many temper tantrums....and starting some
Neil Pearts (Rush) for his historic drum kit and abilities
All of Dream Theater because of Change of Seasons
Maynard James Keenan

I know most of these guys are mainstream, but I can't help but love em for their abilities. There are so many more I am not mentioning, it feels like I'm giving an Oscar speech or something.