your top five death metal bands

These are in no particular order, and they change weekly. So, this week it would be:

1). Prostitute Disfigurement
2). Deicide (These end up in every week's list)
3). Six Feet Under
4). Torture Killer
5). Bloodbath

These days...i am listening to...

ressurection - embalmed existence
Disincarnate - Dreams Of The Carrion Kind
obituary - cause of death
morbid angel - covenant
death - individual thought patterns

I'll be going with these;

1. Amon Amarth
2. Bloodbath
3. At The Gates
4. Carcass
5. Cephalic Carnage

Ex-cally-boo said:
Opeth are NOT Death metal. They are Progressive metal, and have very few death metal elements aside from the vocals and occasional death metal riff.

Goddamn you are annoyingly naive. If every memeber of the band says they are death metal, then they are death metal. There is no arguement.

Amarantus said:
Goddamn you are annoyingly naive. If every memeber of the band says they are death metal, then they are death metal. There is no arguement.

And if everyone else in the entire fucking world says they aren't? just because they're in the band doesn't mean they know something about how to classify the music that the rest of the world doesn't. I think when you're writing and playing music it's hard to not become jaded. I don't doubt that they consider themselves a death metal band, but taking their word as truth regardless of what they sound like is just blind faith, and pretty stupid. Avril Lavinge says she's punk. She isn't. It's just that simple. While Opeth is more complicated to place in a genre, I think that for most people who know anything about metal, they wouldn't be very quick to classify them as death metal. Some real death metal bands are Cannibal Corpse, Nile, Origin, Entombed, BLOODFUCKINGBATH, whatever. Surely you can see how vastly different these bands are from Opeth, and why most people (if not the band themselves,) wouldn't classify them as Death Metal. The biggest mistake you're making, is assuming that for some reason Opeth know what they're music should be classified as more then anyone else.

That said, who fucking cares what genre they are? :lol:

Sinister Mephisto said:
That said, who fucking cares what genre they are? :lol:

True. Most bands play with elements of so many different genres that you can't really classify them. You end up with Progressive Death Metal, or Neo-Classic Progressive Battle Metal with Ethnic Undertones. Might as well just call it metal and be happy.