YouTube gems

This looks incredible! I've always loved Priest, but a concept album? progressive? With Halford still on vocals? WOW!

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=wq1sL7yBGhc[/ame]

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=A59C1NzWoQQ[/ame]

This looks incredible! I've always loved Priest, but a concept album? progressive? With Halford still on vocals? WOW!

Well...I want to like it. I think I'll hold my opinion until I hear the whole thing.

I will say that there is WAY too much slow stuff for my taste.

As I've stated numerous times, I'm not a prog fan (generally speaking), so this seems far too theatrical and soundtrack'ish to me.

I will buy it when it comes out though. Cuz, I loves me some Priest!! :headbang:

SS

This is what broke up the original Styx , Preast is about balls out heavy metal not Theater production , Halford may have lost it.

Well, I was going to buy it. They're charging $13.99 for the download. I'll go ahead and spend the $15.00 and get the disc.

I've done 99% of my buying from Itunes and Amazon (download), over the last couple of years. Most bands sell the MP3 version for $9.99.

This new disc is about 72 minutes long. I guess they think that makes it worth more.

Hmmm...the new A Prelude To Tragedy disc is 77 minutes long. AND IT'S DAMN GOOD!!! Our record is a frikkin bargain! What a deal! :lol:

SS

"I Met The Walrus"

The animation is cool...

That is really cool. You're right; the animation is awesome. It's hard to believe that John spent that much time talking to a kid who had just sneaked into his room. That says a lot about the man.

It's tragic that men of peace, so often meet such violent ends. Very sad.

SS

Inspired by Jax's Utopia video in the other thread, I found one of my all time favorite Utopia songs. It's a concept about four "brave adventurers" traveling to the four corners of the earth to find the four keys that will unlock the chest holding the "glass guitar"....um...yeah, anyway.....each adventurer has to fight a different element and is represented by a different instrument...first the drums (water), then the bass (wind), the keys (fire), and then finally Todd Rundgren's guitar (earth). These guys are incredible musicians but this is obviously a tough one to pull off live as there are a few mistakes (especially in Todd's guitar solo at the end), and some of the vocals are almost impossible to nail while playing. This is done in three parts. Hope you enjoy some of these solos (the bass player kicks ass! and the keyboardist is weird but really knows how to use the analog boards). Oh, and the videos seem to be off from the audio by an entire second. Here is Singring and the Glass Guitar:

Part One
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmoE3A04tc8&feature=related[/ame]

Part Two
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz76Mxb2kEw&feature=related[/ame]

Part Three
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk0H46EqGyU&feature=related[/ame]

Here's and interesting tidbit on the keyboardist Roger Powell:
For Utopia's live shows, Powell created the Powell Probe; the first remote, hand-held polyphonic synthesizer controller, which featured a custom-made shell used to access a complex stack of sequencers and other peripherals offstage. He was also the protege of Robert Moog (who created the Moog synthesizer), the composer and player of several solo albums, a touring musician with David Bowie and others, and an author who wrote a Keyboard Magazine column on synthesizer technique.

Very Cool!!

I was into a lot of early Rundgren CDs. I don't think he's met an instrument he couldn' play....
And Powell was cool... all that keyboard action got me thinking about my favorite keyboard dominated album...

Rick Wakeman's No Earthly Connection...

It took forever for this one to finally hit CD... I don't think it was available on CD until 2000 or so. and it's still hard to find...
I had no idea if I could find any songs off of it but there they were!! I love Youtube...

Of course the live doesn't do it justice, but still too cool, I literally played the grooves off this LP...

Last edited by a moderator:
How did I miss those Wakeman vids? I loved No eartly Connection. I had it playin on the old record player earlier this week! Great stuff.

Cool! Somebody who even knows No Earthly Connection is just plain awesome!:kickass::kickass:

You quite possible might be the only one of my friends who even knows it exists...:lol:

What a great album...

Do you have all of the original stuff that came with the LP like the cylindrical mirror to look at the front and back cover? I miss records!

I was going to ask you the same thing. Obviously I lost the mirror thing during my many moves....but I'm sure I could recreate it, LOL. I mean, it's just a picture of Rick Wakeman with his arms wrapped around the world. I think when I bought the album I took it out, taped it together, looked at it once, laughed, then never did it again, LOL. I will also agree with you about "having to get used to it". King Arthur was so like-able after the first listen, and so was Journey to the Center of the earth (although it was live), that No Earthly Connection was just weird. I think it was after reading the lyrics and figuring out the concept (much like 2112 actually) that it really hit me. Now it's just awesome...even thirty years later.

I remember lying on my living room floor when I was about 16, and listening to King Arthur with the quadraphonic surround system perfectly spaced around me. The keyboard solos in "The Black Knight" would shoot from one speaker to the next. It was unreal. Rick was so young in those vids you posted it made me realize just what a genius he is.

What have you done Brett? I'm on my fourth listen to Unearthly Connection today. Ahhhh...the memories

Don't worry Steve, you're doing your music soul some serious good!! :D

Let me guide your journey long
Leave them while they mourn
We will journey back in time
And you will be reborn
From you I shall take your music
Place it back on earth
You shall witness long it's voyage
A music soul rebirth

Here's one for Sorrell, since he's such a huge Dragonforce fan and all :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: