Touring Discussion (part 2)

Along with everything that everyone else has been saying, and I think this has been mentioned already too, it's not all that easy to hear about tours in the first place. The extreme tours get a pretty big publicity push, but the more prog/power focused stuff really doesn't. The best thing to happen in this regard lately is Enter The Vault. I don't know how many tours came near me that I missed simply because I never heard that they were coming. I know I missed a Dio/Hammerfall matchup once a long time ago. At least I think that was the package. I generally read BW&BK's site and get ticket alerts from Live Nation/Ticketmaster, but that doesn't cut the mustard for getting the word out.

That is a good point. I know sometimes I don't know about certain tours either, like when Baroness was on tour for the Red album, I found out the week before they came to Chicago because I randomly saw an ad in Revolver. But yeah, not every metalhead has the time to go on sites such as this, BW/BK and Blabbermouth to see what tours are going on, especially with just how many tours seem to be going on all the time.

They definitely do well on tours. The question though is how well will they do on the next tour. I think the two legs they had here for DPP were a lot of people curious to see how they did with Annette, so it'll be interesting to see if people come back. I'm not trying to make this an Annette bashing thread, but I honestly don't know if I would go see them again after the performance I saw. I think a major part of this is the female fronted genre gets some crossover of males and females. From what I've heard Epica on the previous tour definitely upped their attendance as well (though I'm not sure about the current tour).

I think they'll do just fine. The fact that they were able to hit the U.S. 4 separate times and have near sellouts each leg should be enough evidence. They hit Phoenix 2 times and it was pretty much sold out each time. If people didn't like Annette the first time Nightwish appeared they wouldn't have kept buying tickets for the subsequent legs of the tour.

I think they'll do just fine. The fact that they were able to hit the U.S. 4 separate times and have near sellouts each leg should be enough evidence. They hit Phoenix 2 times and it was pretty much sold out each time. If people didn't like Annette the first time Nightwish appeared they wouldn't have kept buying tickets for the subsequent legs of the tour.

I had no clue they had that many legs. I do think they'll do well, I think it's just a matter of if they will do as well. Though, while I don't like Annette as much, she does have more of a mainstream voice than Tarja did.

I had no clue they had that many legs.

ha, what? J-Man reported that very thing, and YOU EVEN QUOTED HIM! :lol:

I think Nightwish is a band that can stand to lose any people who went to see them just because they were mildly curious. Those people are vastly outnumbered by those who love love love Nightwish, to the point where their absence wouldn't even be noticed.

I'm not sure what metric Jason is using to conclude that the Helloween/Gamma Ray tour was "piss poor". In terms of crowd size, the only things to compare it to are the Helloween show at the Vic (with Jag Panzer and.....Beyond the Embrace!) 5 years earlier, and the upcoming Gamma Ray show, at Reggie's. It's pretty much impossible from that data to say how the combined package affected the turnout. I thought it was a good-sized crowd. But of course we have no idea how the finances turned out. However, Gamma Ray changing strategy, coming to the much smaller Reggie's, this time with no other announced acts, indicates that the combined tour may have been neither a short-term nor a long-term winner for them.

Neil