Will the Pre-Party be on the main stage again next year?

Whoah did I miss a good thread this weekend. Dragonforce and Gigantour kept me far too occupied.

Okay. Now that I know Vision Divine used a different sound guy, it makes sense that their guitars were a little funny. I've only ONCE ran a board for another band as they played a show and I've done the board for our own band for our block party each year. If you have time to set up, setting the knobs and doing quick tweaks will always sound better. But taking a band-by-band approach to running sound all night? That's a brave endeavour. I'd like to think that I know what sounds good and what sounds bad, but to be able to comprehend all that with 16+ microphones on stage all at once? No hellin' way. Far too many brain cells required. I ain't got em. I drank those away already.

Ernst deserves a shitload of credit, regardless of my gripes and bitchings about whatever miniscule problem I heard. And in comparison to the Big Picture, that's all they are! Miniscule problems!

As for the Pre-Party...

B stands for Bring Back the Badass Bands!

Mosquito said:
I don't think anyone will remember any band from ProgPower II's party.

I choose to remember them as Crap, and Crap Redux. If there was a third band (I honestly don't remember), then they must have been Crap Revisited.

I do very much remember that System of a Down was playing upstairs though, and wishing that I was up there watching them. Not that seeing Evergrey's keyboard player pass out in the parking lot wasn't entertaining, but still....

Michael TEOF said:
Option B... for GOD DAMN sheezy Glenn.

And people need to stop bitching about lack of time for socializing. I hosted a kick ass lunch this year at Front Page News on Friday afternoon that was a great pre-party and time to socialize for the 25-30 that showed up. Maybe more of you should show up next year.

The Pre-Party was perfect.... the bands went on at 6:30pm giving plenty of time to socialize. If you wanted to socialize, there was actually more space in the outer circle of the venue than there was upstairs. Plus, you could actually carry on a conversation in that outer circle, whereas it was incredibly difficult at the pre-party. Plus, the bar is open for a full 2 hours after the show is over. There's plenty of time to socialzie then.

And I hate to say this... but the sound crew produced a clearer sound than the actual festival (i.e. for Vision Divine I couldn't even hear the guitars). Circle II Circle and Circus Maximus, especially, sounded the best out of any bands I've ever heard at that festival, period. Shane's crew needs to work for Glenn next year.

The only thing we should do next year to make things better is find a place that serves alcohol until 4am in Atlanta Saturday night/Sunday morning -- in other words, some kind of post-party on Saturday night after the last band ends. This would seriously stem some of the depression that sets in on the walk home... hoping to find some kind of party to prolong that feeling of greatness.

If someone has a home in Atlanta near the venue that could invite people (if I lived in Atlanta I would do it in a heart beat)... that would be great. That person could simply ask for donations from sponsors willing to shell up dollars for setup of the party. I'd certainly help out with the setup for that party too.

There are many things we can do to socialize/party. Let's let Glenn and Shane work on bringing in the great music. Let's make the party our responsibility. This festival just keeps getting better and better.... rock on Glenn/Shane!

The Michael

:Smokin: What The Micheal said. EVERY WORD. BTW, my friend and I just showed up at the Front Page news at the same time u guyz did by dumb-ass luck. I was hung over and HUNGRY!! It was good to meet all of you and see Gonzo again!! Let's do it again next year!!!!

Chris :headbang:

mitchgx said:
I choose to remember them as Crap, and Crap Redux. If there was a third band (I honestly don't remember), then they must have been Crap Revisited.

Yeah, that was the year that Tim booked the bands.

I note that hasn't happened since, either. :)

I do very much remember that System of a Down was playing upstairs though, and wishing that I was up there watching them.

At least one of the PP performing bands who were there at the pre-party were wishing the same thing. :headbang:

I agree with option B, but with some hesitation.

I think the best type of pre-show party was the one which took place last year. Not just normal performances by bands, but some special performances.

-Orphaned Land Acoustic. Fucking Awesome, how often can you see that?
-And DC Cooper playing with fucking Tore Otesby(sp?) AND several fans of progpower who were lucky enough to play with them.

Again, I would love to see Vision Divine, or another such band next year at the pre-show party. But I'd also like some kind of "special" appearances like we had last year.

I like option B, now that I've put more thought into it...but I still think that you should buy the tickets seperately...not just make it a 3 day festival...wouldn't it technically be cheaper that way, ticket wise?

The Fiddler said:
Off the top of your head, list any of the pre-party bands that played at PPII, PPIII, PPIV, or PPV. You've got one minute. :loco::lol:

Ha!!!! Halcyon Way (V)!!!! I wonder how I remember that???

You can bet that with the record finally dropping 1st of the year that we'll be lobbying Shane hard for a slot in 07!!!!

a

Option B all the way!

I like the idea of having a band that totally slays in a mid to lower slot earn the chance to come back for an encore performance at the pre-party.

The special peformances like the DC Cooper set and the Orphaned Land acoustic set and seeing a cool old school metal band like Leatherwolf helps give the pre-party it's own identity, separate from the main festival but just as fun.

If you have the encore band and another "big" band that still leaves the bottom 2 slots for unsigned bands.

As for the people who want to socialize more, the main hallway in Center Stage has all those couches and places to sit and hang out. The Loft only had that small room with very limited room to sit and talk. You've got the 2 bars, more places to sit and chat and you can still hear the music - what more could you want?

With option B everybody wins!

The Fiddler said:
Off the top of your head, list any of the pre-party bands that played at PPII, PPIII, PPIV, or PPV. You've got one minute. :loco::lol:

thought I'd give it shot.. just to see how good my memory is. :saint:

PP III
Cea Serin
Magistral
Persaphones Dream

PP IV
Katagory V
Stride
Pryamry

PP V
Halycon Way
Magistral
Prototype
Enertia

PP VI
Outworld
Dreamscape
D.C. Cooper's jam band
???
Orphand land acoustic jam

Am I close? ...do I get a gold star or anything? Yes indeed, look at all those crappy bands. :lol: :rolleyes:

Kinda facinating to look back to the first one shane put together up till' now, and the bands that have played, and where their careers have went since they played the show... it's no question why any lesser known act (sign or unsigned) wouldn't be crawling up Shanes ass to get a slot - it's a shot at an audiance most bands never get a chance to play in front of! A great opportunity and an unforgetable, excellent crowd!

:kickass:

Harvester said:
I'll ask a single, hypothetical question and I don't want an explanation from anyone. Just choose an option:

B. We return to Center Stage and you get to watch someone like Vision Divine or Freak Kitchen perform a longer set along with at least one other big name. You come in a night earlier and socialize at the karoke party on Wed night. Shane is rewarded justly for his work.

There you go. I WANT VISION DIVINE BACK!!!!!!!!! :OMG:

Steve

I honestly cannot think of a better headliner for the pre-party than Symphony X. Or. Nevermore.