PP4 pre party

:hotjump:

I think everyones going to have a blast with the three bands Shane has picked to play the Pre-Party this year, seeing how last years went so well. :)

Here are some links to the bands performing at this years Pre-party for ProgPower IV for those that are interested:

Prymary from L.A
Stride from Houston
Katagory V from Salt Lake City.

Shane Dubose (pre-party promoter) had posted some more info on this on the perpetual motion message board (where both Demonspell and I found this info). Click here if you want to read more about it...

fork_off.gif

Sheri
a.k.a. Worldchanger - Appropraite Apocalypse webzine

Very cool. Based on the samples at each site I will enjoy them all very much. Thanks for the links BTW. There is an obvious Dream Theater influence in Prymary and Stride but that isn't really a bad thing. And how many newer prog bands don't have a DT influance.....?

Mephistopheles said:
Very cool. Based on the samples at each site I will enjoy them all very much. Thanks for the links BTW. There is an obvious Dream Theater influence in Prymary and Stride but that isn't really a bad thing. And how many newer prog bands don't have a DT influance.....?

I think Katagory V is going to be the odd band on this bill as they don't have a noticable DT influnce, especially if they play a majority of the new material. They have a more tech-metal style with no keyboards, Athough most people compare them to No Exit-era Fates Warning due to their first album, the new stuff is like Nevermore colliding with Zero Hour. From what I've been told, their new album will be out in time for ProgPower. :D

fork_off.gif
Sheri

Nevermore meets Zero Hour? Holy shit. On a wholly unrelated note, heard some more stuff from the new Secret Sphere today...I think this band is very confused about their new direction...the eight-minute plus Life sounds like a band trying way too hard to show off their diversity...and it still sounds pretty good. :)

ProgMetalFan said:
Nevermore and Zero Hour!?!?!?!?!? OMG!!!!!!!!!! !:headbang:

:tickled:
wwwweeeellllll...... that might be an exateration.....
some of the songs defaintly would fall under that discription, but not all of them. ;)

There is no doubt that the Zero Hour influnce is appearant on the new album... they're our bay area brothas and also a very large influnce on us for playing prog without keyboards. :)

\m/
Dustin

I want the coolest bands at the pre-show party available, but I also want to hear the best that Atlanta has to offer if just as an opener. Even if it's a different style metal than prog or power, it's always the right thing to do to offer the best local band within the genre at a show. You never know how good they are and they should get some preference on their own "turf."

Bryant

Bryant, surely you wouldn't want to risk what happened at the PP 2.0 party again, would you? :)

Besides, it doesn't seem like Atlanta has shit to offer in the way of local rock bands of any genre. :/ Someone correct me if I'm wrong--I'd love to be!

It seems like we'll be getting some real quality bands... more like a mini-PP, with unsigned acts. Nothing to complain about there.

Shaye

lady_space said:
Besides, it doesn't seem like Atlanta has shit to offer in the way of local rock bands of any genre. :/ Someone correct me if I'm wrong--I'd love to be!

There are a variety of good local rock bands to be found in Atlanta. I don't think any of them would work well at a PP pre-show gig, but there are some good tunes to be found among the crap that is our local scene.

--Mike

well when my band gets to goin really good im sure we would be in the top 10(not trying to brag)....and we would most love to play a gig like that....at least we would have something to offer in the future

Weeeellll, when I saw Opeth last week, a local band named Lilitu opened and they were really good. Minus a few technical problems I attribute to their seemingly being a last minute addition, I thought they were better than Yakuza which was on a "national" tour with Opeth. Lilitu even had to ask for more local support. If I lived in Atlanta, I would try and see them occasionally when they played.

I just checked out the samples provided in the links above (thanks whoever posted them).

Katagory V... I'm impressed, can't wait to see them.
Stride sounded pretty cool, although I'm not really into the instrumental thing that much (Warmen I love, but vocals on some tracks).
Prymary was a little too proggy for me but it sounded good. I'm not a prog fan in general, but ya never know when one could grab my attention.

I'm looking forward to meeting cool people and having a blast at the pre-show on through the whole weekend.

This year Junnie, we gotta meet and say "hi", that way I can convince you to smuggle me overseas in your suitcase so I can get my hands on some cool Japanese metal albums. :( I miss my Loudness, Vow Wow, EZO and Sabre Tiger -showing my age here hehehhe -

My time table has changed, and now I'll be able to hit up the pre party. Kategory V and Prymary both seem pretty good, and Stride seems very solid, so I'm pumped to check them out. Two questions: is there a cover charge to get in? And will one of you hook me up with some beer?

97reb said:
Weeeellll, when I saw Opeth last week, a local band named Lilitu opened and they were really good. Minus a few technical problems I attribute to their seemingly being a last minute addition, I thought they were better than Yakuza which was on a "national" tour with Opeth. Lilitu even had to ask for more local support. If I lived in Atlanta, I would try and see them occasionally when they played.

Hell yea, i was there too, Lilitu rocked out. Yakuza did suck and i am thankful that that was the last night on the tour for them, so that other cities didn't have to suffer the saxophone wielding cannibal corpse. As for Opeth, they were amazing, i went to see them, but i think Lacuna Coil stole the show. I got christina's autograph after the show. As for opeth though, they are comming to Athens, Georgia on July 11th, the the 40 watt club. It won't be able to hold them, i'm from athens and that club is small as hell, opeth will blow it up.

Metalmilita2000 said:
Hell yea, i was there too, Lilitu rocked out. Yakuza did suck and i am thankful that that was the last night on the tour for them, so that other cities didn't have to suffer the saxophone wielding cannibal corpse. As for Opeth, they were amazing, i went to see them, but i think Lacuna Coil stole the show. I got christina's autograph after the show. As for opeth though, they are comming to Athens, Georgia on July 11th, the the 40 watt club. It won't be able to hold them, i'm from athens and that club is small as hell, opeth will blow it up.

Are Opeth playing in Athens? What I saw said it would be a Porcupine Tree only gig. Either way, I'll be there, but I'd appreciate any help with verification.

Shaye

lady_space said:
Are Opeth playing in Athens? What I saw said it would be a Porcupine Tree only gig. Either way, I'll be there, but I'd appreciate any help with verification.

Shaye

From what I've read, it's a PT warm-up gig for the Opeth tour. Sucks that we can't see both, but at least we get one. :)

--Mike

lady_space said:

Shaye

OOOOOOO, i don't know, i need to find this out, my friend and i were planning on going, i will go either way. But it would be nice to have opeth in athens as they would be one of the biggest bands to ever set foot in The Classic City.