Zero Hour's new album, and ProgPower 7 performance

The Shrike

Lord of Pain
Sep 14, 2002
Scottsdale, AZ
I had an extra double treat, along with the many wonderful moments at ProgPower 7.

I purchased Zero Hour's new album, Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond, while I was at the ProgPower 7 pre-show party. I was able to hear the album in bits and pieces on my iPOD during the weekend, before I saw the band play on Saturday night.

And I just heard it on the airplane, and again on the long drive from the PHL airport out to rural PA where I am on a project this week. I even went back to the rental car company to get a different car that had a better stereo (Hertz Gold President's Circle status sure helps ;-) so I could crank it for the road.

So I played it again in its entirety on the road, on the dark highway, mesmerized once again. And, I love it! I think it is their best effort to date. Of course, Towers of Avarice will always have a special place in my heart. Is it better than Towers? Yes, no, you be the judge. Just don't be afraid to come down from "The Towers." ;-)

I hear a band that has progressed, and is still making compelling statements through music. There is a lot to digest on the new album. Many tasty bits and some jaw dropping playing. I'll leave the exhaustive review to more capable reviewers but I'll comment on the tracks that show what this band is all about.

The new singer, Chris Salinas (ex of another great band, Power of Omens,) is fantastic. To hear his full range of capabilities check out tracks, 1, 2 and 6. He does full blown Tate-style operatic, whispers, mid range warmth, nearly spoken parts too. I think he fits the band very well, and adds a new dimension to their sound.

Track 1, Face the Fear, is a typical Zero Hour classic, like they are letting us know they are the same band... insane drumming, Morse code guitar, and real bass guitar magic. ;-) Chris establishes his vocal chops here.

Track 2, Falcon's Cry, is a beautiful piece of work. It starts heavy, then slows and changes at about 3 minutes in, with some amazing bass lines, and then finishes up heavy. And the lyrics - about an old man who takes a final trip up the mountain, and sees the vista and a falcon below - are very moving. It is a truly beautiful song!

Track 3, Embrace, is gentle acoustic/electric with some fine, distant singing from Chris.

Track 4, Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond, is back into heavy playing, wonderful stuff. Then Track 5, Zero Hour, starts with some tasty bass before launching into that style that sounds like Zero Hour.

Track 6, I Am Here … another chiming acoustic/electric … Chris singing mid range … spoken, near whispers … beautiful.

Track 7, Evidence of The Unseen … a didgeridoo at the beginning! A cool track with lots of tasty bits and great drumming. It takes them all over the map… ending with … a didgeridoo!!

The whole album is great music that is fresh and different.

Their performance at PP 7 was excellent. I was down in the pit and could hear the monitors, and it sounded great to me. I heard from some people that it didn't sound well mixed from up in the seats. So, I was glad I was on the floor. When they did Falcon's cry and went into the slow part, with Chris excellent singing, I looked up at Troy and thought, "this new song is so beautiful, and Troy is doing some amazing work on the bass!" ... with Jasun gently chiming in the background.

I was in awe, not fanboy awe, just pure appreciation for some great ART. And it was fun watching the faces of others in the audience with the same appreciation for the band.

Their set was a mix of new and old. Too bad it was only 40 minutes. But they rocked!

If you are new to the band, give them a chance to sink in. If you're into Frank Zappa, Tool, King Crimson, Cynic, Watchtower, etc. then you might like them. Is it metal? Prog rock? I don't know!

They are in that class of artist that doesn't follow trends but carve their own path amid a sea of musical mediocrity.

Rawk! \m/\m/

their PP performance was my first itme checking them out live. My bassist Ron has played a cd or two for me though. Anyway, I dug them when the songs kicked in, but I felt all of their noodlely intros sounded the same....

well done - just not my cup o tea ;)

SO is it better than Towers?

I personally was bothered by the high pitched vocals, and I personally like a lot of bands with that type of singing, I just don't think it fits the particular band sound.

The band that put the Prog back into Progpower! I can't wait to get into the new album. 100% original, 100% Mind blowing Musicianship, 100% killer set.

I guess I must get this album if its 300% good :lol: . I liked the riffs just not the singing, some people around me in the seats weren't impressed. I heard one guy said "I didn't hear one melody the entire set".

Anyway, I'll check out the new ZH.

I left during their first song, they were boring the shit out of me. sorry

Jeff I want to thank you so much for the awesome post and I'm just very happy you dig the new disc and enjoyed the ProgPower performance.

Man I just don't know what else to really say other than I'm really, really STOKED by this bro.

Specs took a ton of energy from us mentally and physically and this is very satisfying to read this. The thing we were trying to achieve with this disc is something the listener could listen to for a long time. It does take many listens sometimes to hear everything that's going on but this way you discover something new with every listen. Towers was that kind of CD as well and very proud of the work that was put into "The Towers of Avarice" and "Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond".

Thank you so much to everyone at ProgPower who made us feel so welcome. Glenn is awesome in bringing many great acts to the Fest and we're just happy to be part of it. Even the people who are not fans of Zero Hour at ProgPower it's awesome to see you supporting this great event and music and please keep continuing to suppot ProgPower....Because PROGPOWER RULES!!

Many, Many thank you's to our friends and fans who make us feel great in what we do. It's like being at a big party with a bunch of your good friends.

YOU ALL RULE!!

Jasun/ZH

P.S. I would like to thank Ken Golden and crew at Sensory Records for all you do for us. (Jim thank you very much for your help at signing as well) Sensory has been an awesome label to Zero Hour and we just want Ken to know we appreciate everything he does. (Not to mention I learned Lauren is best person to ever have pack your shirts away....YOU RULE LAUREN!!)

BlindPanzer said:
I guess I must get this album if its 300% good :lol: . I liked the riffs just not the singing, some people around me in the seats weren't impressed. I heard one guy said "I didn't hear one melody the entire set".

Anyway, I'll check out the new ZH.

You simply cannot pass judgement on a band when the first time you hear them is live and not from a studio release. I have the new ZH disc and the overwhelming majority of the vocals are as melodic, smooth, and passionate as you will find (listen to "I Am Here" or "Falcons Cry"). The high-pitched vocals are minimal. Chris is a perfect match for ZH.

Festival perfomances simply don't give the musicians the best outlet to showcase their talents. You need to listen to their studio efforts where they control the variables if you want to make an informed decision. Passing judgement on a band's sound based solely on a single live set is simply naive if you have never heard the band before. :erk: I'm glad that you will give the studio relase a listen.

I love the ZH guys. While I can see how people can't dig their music, mainly cuz it's not sing-along stuff or containing any catchy hooks, I dig them because of their musical prowess and songwriting ability. I doubt anyone can just throw the disc in while they're running around shopping for groceries. But I think people can say they know every square inch of their instruments and are dedicated to getting better and better on them. That's where the satisfaction comes in listening to them and watching them perform. They're all absolute perfectionists. They're so satisfying on a much different level.

I don't really care if its melodic or not, but you are right that I shouldn't dismiss it purely because I got a first listen of it live. Seeing as how I really dig the past releases I guess I'll check this one out as well.

Bryan316 said:
I love the ZH guys. But I think people can say they know every square inch of their instruments and are dedicated to getting better and better on them. That's where the satisfaction comes in listening to them and watching them perform. They're all absolute perfectionists. They're so satisfying on a much different level.

Exactomundito!!!!

There was this part of the interview with Jasun in the Progpower Program that kind says it all.

"The best advice I could give anybody in music is just go with your vibe, what you feel. You know what you're coming up with. And always try progressing yourself.You can't just go by the number system. Like everybody plays in 4/4. If you can count you can do odd time signatures. I know it's tough, it doesn't feel natural, but that's the thing, you have to overcome it, you have to do it for years to make it feel natural. And then when it starts to feel natural then your on to something"

I would emplore all you Progpower attendees to OVERCOME IT! Then you will get it and you will find great pleasure in what Zero Hour does. (I Do!!) Because it is on a whole different level.
:OMG:
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

J,T,M,C Good luck!!!

Just heard the new album entirely and it's AMAZING. Look forward to see them in Brooklyn, especially now that I'm more familiarized with the songs!!

ThXinc said:
Sorry to disagree with some, Zero Hour was just about the only band who didnt' do anything for me.
Be careful, you might get hate PMs for that:Smug:

LOL, it's hard to get into them live as a first experience with the band. Check out their albums, I'm sure you'll end up enjoying their work.

A few points I can totally agree with here.

First, certainly, one has to hear their CD's to do the music justice. That's goes as well for almost any band. But especially in ZH case, as far as PP is concerned.

Secondly, I agree with the fact that there was so obvious a lack of vocal melody, chorus's that grab your attention and other elements that were far more obvious on their last CD (the vastly under-rated AFM) - which is the downfall of much prog metal in my opinion.

Thirdly, well, here's where I disagree with a post above, but there's a plethora - some would even say an over-abundance - of high-pitched vocals all over SoPBB. Sure, that's the lure for many people of the new ZH, but I find there's actually more of a dynamic interest, for me, in the actual MUSIC than the vocals, which is something a tad off-putting. The production is top-notch, though.

That said, ZH are incredible humble and grounded guys - from what I've seen and read, and even Chris Salinas seems like an enthusiastic cat (met him for a split second, but good vibes, and man, he's just smiling all the time, look at how much fun he was having during the Starz/Jorn lead encore?) They are incredibly dedicated and talented musicians, that's unarguable.

Musically, the new ZH is smokin'... one of the only prog bands who actually has significant dynamic changes (especially those clean tone breakdown parts) but the weakness with the new stuff - which was readilly apparent live - is exactly what was mentioned above: lack of melodic vocal patterns, chorus's and repeating and therefore, noticeable, strucutres. To what degree this is a weakness, if indeed a weakness at all, is a matter of personal perspective. In my case, it's fairly large one considering the new vocalist they have and his vocal prowess... and the fact that they've shown themselves capable of it.

Here's my thing: they should apply a stronger sense of composition on the next CD more closely with repeating vocal melodies, I think that would work wonders and probably more people would really find them digestable.

It's interesting, because out of ALL the band reviews, they seem to be the most polarizing band of the entire PP event. Not alot of middleground there. What else is evident here is that they've really built themselves a solid reputation in the underground, so expectations are high... but they've set the standard high with past releases, and despite my somewhat disappointment with SoPBB, continue to produce high quality music.

Anyhow, I hope my constructive criticism as well as compliments aren't taken the wrong way, but if they are, well... there's a few full cans of whoop ass on the shelf at Albertsons and they're just a SHOP skip and a jump away. I probably should invest in flame-retardant materials starting with this post! ;-)