Zero Hour's new album, and ProgPower 7 performance

The Shrike

Lord of Pain
Sep 14, 2002
Scottsdale, AZ
I had an extra double treat, along with the many wonderful moments at ProgPower 7. :headbang:

I purchased Zero Hour's new album, Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond, while I was at the ProgPower 7 pre-show party. I was able to hear the album in bits and pieces on my iPOD during the weekend, before I saw the band play on Saturday night.

And I just heard it on the airplane, and again on the long drive from the PHL airport out to rural PA where I am on a project this week. I even went back to the rental car company to get a different car that had a better stereo (Hertz Gold President's Circle status sure helps ;-) so I could crank it for the road.

So I played it again in its entirety on the road, on the dark highway, mesmerized once again. And, I love it! I think it is their best effort to date. Of course, Towers of Avarice will always have a special place in my heart. Is it better than Towers? Yes, no, you be the judge. Just don't be afraid to come down from "The Towers." ;-)

I hear a band that has progressed, and is still making compelling statements through music. There is a lot to digest on the new album. Many tasty bits and some jaw dropping playing. I'll leave the exhaustive review to more capable reviewers but I'll comment on the tracks that show what this band is all about.

The new singer, Chris Salinas (ex of another great band, Power of Omens,) is fantastic. To hear his full range of capabilities check out tracks, 1, 2 and 6. He does full blown Tate-style operatic, whispers, mid range warmth, nearly spoken parts too. I think he fits the band very well, and adds a new dimension to their sound.

Track 1, Face the Fear, is a typical Zero Hour classic, like they are letting us know they are the same band... insane drumming, Morse code guitar, and real bass guitar magic. ;-) Chris establishes his vocal chops here.

Track 2, Falcon's Cry, is a beautiful piece of work. It starts heavy, then slows and changes at about 3 minutes in, with some amazing bass lines, and then finishes up heavy. And the lyrics - about an old man who takes a final trip up the mountain, and sees the vista and a falcon below - are very moving. It is a truly beautiful song!

Track 3, Embrace, is gentle acoustic/electric with some fine, distant singing from Chris.

Track 4, Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond, is back into heavy playing, wonderful stuff. Then Track 5, Zero Hour, starts with some tasty bass before launching into that style that sounds like Zero Hour.

Track 6, I Am Here … another chiming acoustic/electric … Chris singing mid range … spoken, near whispers … beautiful.

Track 7, Evidence of The Unseen … a didgeridoo at the beginning! A cool track with lots of tasty bits and great drumming. It takes them all over the map… ending with … a didgeridoo!!

The whole album is great music that is fresh and different.

Their performance at PP 7 was excellent. I was down in the pit and could hear the monitors, and it sounded great to me. I heard from some people that it didn't sound well mixed from up in the seats. So, I was glad I was on the floor. When they did Falcon's cry and went into the slow part, with Chris excellent singing, I looked up at Troy and thought, "this new song is so beautiful, and Troy is doing some amazing work on the bass!" ... with Jasun gently chiming in the background.

I was in awe, not fanboy awe, just pure appreciation for some great ART. And it was fun watching the faces of others in the audience with the same appreciation for the band.

Their set was a mix of new and old. Too bad it was only 40 minutes. But they rocked!

If you are new to the band, give them a chance to sink in. If you're into Frank Zappa, Tool, King Crimson, Cynic, Watchtower, etc. then you might like them. Is it metal? Prog rock? I don't know!

They are in that class of artist that doesn't follow trends but carve their own path amid a sea of musical mediocrity.

Rawk! \m/\m/

Jeff I want to thank you so much for the awesome post and I'm just very happy you dig the new disc and enjoyed the ProgPower performance.
Man I just don't know what else to really say other than I'm really, really STOKED by this bro.

Specs took a ton of energy from us mentally and physically and this is very satisfying to read this. The thing we were trying to achieve with this disc is something the listener could listen to for a long time. It does take many listens sometimes to hear everything that's going on but this way you discover something new with every listen. Towers was that kind of CD as well and very proud of the work that was put into "The Towers of Avarice" and "Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond".

Thank you so much to everyone at ProgPower who made us feel so welcome. Glenn is awesome in bringing many great acts to the Fest and we're just happy to be part of it. Even the people who are not fans of Zero Hour at ProgPower it's awesome to see you supporting this great event and music and please keep continuing to suppot ProgPower....Because PROGPOWER RULES!!

Many, Many thank you's to our friends and fans who make us feel great in what we do. It's like being at a big party with a bunch of your good friends.

YOU ALL RULE!!

Jasun/ZH

P.S. I would like to thank Ken Golden and crew at Sensory Records for all you do for us. (Jim thank you very much for your help at signing..YOU RULE KAT!!) Sensory has been an awesome label to Zero Hour and we just want Ken to know we appreciate everything he does. (Not to mention I learned Lauren is best person to ever have pack your shirts away....YOU RULE LAUREN!!)

Fuck... I posted this elsewhere, but what the hell, I minus well post it hear for another perspective on the ZH PP showcase.

Prog Power performance: Music was great, vocals... well, I'm still trying to adjust to the vocal stylings of Mr. Salinas with the band. As I've mentioned many times here I wasn't sure how I was going to dig the new CD (see below) as I'm not a big fan of his vocal style. He's got a great voice, but sometimes it's just a little overblow and over-the-top. Let's just say I was more impressed with the musicianship.

I do have to go on record with saying I was disappointed - but not surprised - nothing from AFM was performed. Considering this is their most accessible and refined (and, yeah, slandered) CD, I would've loved to hear a few tracks from this one live. I think There For Me would've rocked the joint and made a few new fans for the band... a Zero Hour song in the traditional sense.

Anyhow, the guys are always supercool, though (didn't get the chance to chat 'em up this time) and probably the most down to earth group of guys (and yeah, Chris Salinas - who I met real quickly - is a super cool cat as well) at the show. Truly humble and gracious.

New CD: An obligatory purchase. Definitely requires repeated listening... so I have to reserve judgement. Musically, though, I think it's going to be killer... vocallly, well... we'll see, but automatic bonus points for shredding didgideridoo!

Right on Scott and I can't believe I didn't see you at the show man. Thanks so much for picking up the CD man and wish I could have chatted it up with you at PP.

METAL!!

Jasun

Great performance. The guys have clearly taken a step forward in terms of stage presence and energy since I saw them perform at PPIII. It also seems like they're enjoying themselves more (on stage) with Chris, than they did with Erik. Of course, that could just be my perception.

As you would suspect, the guys were exceptionally tight. Watching them do what they do live is such a treat. Chris fits with the band better than I suspected. When they performed "Vestige" (the only song they played from Towers:cry:), Chris handled Erik's material flawlessly. I just wish I would have had a chance to familairize myself with the CD prior to the set. Well, at least I'll have a chance to do so prior to the NJ and NY shows.

Zod

We will be doing all of Demise and Vestige in the East Coast and a few others to add what we did at ProgPower. Should be really cool man and we're looking forward finally be playing the East Coast.

METAL!!!

Jasun

General Zod said:
Great performance. The guys have clearly taken a step forward in terms of stage presence and energy since I saw them perform at PPIII. It also seems like they're enjoying themselves more (on stage) with Chris, than they did with Erik. Of course, that could just be my perception.

As you would suspect, the guys were exceptionally tight. Watching them do what they do live is such a treat. Chris fits with the band better than I suspected. When they performed "Vestige" (the only song they played from Towers:cry:), Chris handled Erik's material flawlessly. I just wish I would have had a chance to familairize myself with the CD prior to the set. Well, at least I'll have a chance to do so prior to the NJ and NY shows.

Zod
First of all, it was great finally meeting you and getting a chance to talk!

Second, I couldn't agree more! I have loved them EVERY time I've seen them (this being #3), but the raw intensity and mind boggling musicianship was AWESOME!!!! I had only listened to Specs once before the set (except for Evidence - I heard way more), so I wasn't all that familiar with the new stuff either. It didn't matter!!! These guys tore up that stage and left it smoking by the time they were done. Chris is such a perfect match too! Talent AND personality! I was really curious to how he would approach Eric's material and when they played Eyes of Denial and Vestige - I got my answer! HOLY SHIT!! Chris tore it up!! Let it be known that I was huge fan of Eric's vocals and stage performance from way back to PP1, but I'm telling ya, they have found their perfect match! For all of those who are having a difficult time with the transition, all I can say is listen to the CD a bunch of times and MOST IMPORTANTLY -- see them live!!! That is the best way to experience them! See them more than once! There is so much going on, it takes multiple live shows to even begin to take in the amount of talent up there.

The wildest thing I witnessed about their set was my girlfriend's reaction to them. She was WAY unfamiliar with the material, she is WAY not into super-technical stuff, but their performance actually moved her so much emotionally, that it brought tears to her eyes!!! I'm not shitting you one bit either! Even later when talking about the performance, she reacted. She said it was her favorite of the ENTIRE weekend!

The craziest was when we put the CD in the truck on the LONG drive home. She was sitting in the back talking to Nicki (Matt's wife) and I didn't tell her. I look back a little into the first song and there she is getting teary eyed again! She asked me what was playing and I told her! Her favorite singer is (or at least was) Geoff Tate so I thought it was Chris' voice. I played her some PoO when we got home and it did nothing for her. I figured out that it is the combination of bone crunching heaviness along with Chris' awesome voice that did her in! Guys, you have a new fan! And she's one of the last people I ever expected to dig the set that much.

Thanks again guys for such a great performance! Thanks also for being THE coolest kats out there in the scene! You guys f**king RULE!!!!!

Rick Pierpont said:
First of all, it was great finally meeting you and getting a chance to talk!
Right back 'atcha.

Rick Pierpont said:
The wildest thing I witnessed about their set was my girlfriend's reaction to them. She was WAY unfamiliar with the material, she is WAY not into super-technical stuff, but their performance actually moved her so much emotionally, that it brought tears to her eyes!!! I'm not shitting you one bit either!
That's interesting. My wife (who is a Zero Hour fan), but who is not generally into overly technical music, said that there were moments during "The Falcon's Cry" that were "truly transcendent".

Here's to great songwriting and chicks with great taste...:kickass:

Zod

I wish I had been able to familiarize myself with the new album prior to their performance as ZH is certainly not the easiest band to digest if you're unfamiliar with their tunes, but they put on an excellent performance. I picked up the new album and I'm looking forward to giving it some real attention. As always, it's a pleasure hanging out with Jasun & Christina, and it was awesome finally meeting Troy and the rest of the guys! I'll post our pictures soon. I look forward to seeing you guys in November, at which point I'll know Specs. :headbang:

Right on MEg and totally could understand that. Specs is a disc that will need a few listens and was put together that way (Like Towers) so the more you listen to it the more parts and features expand out to make it a fresh listen for the listener.

YOU RULE MEG and thanks for always supporting us and look forward to the pics.

Jasun

So great reading all those positive reviews; sounds like Zero Hour just totally ripped it up live. Man I wish I could go to those shows; but plan to take my Holidays around when Zero Hour come over to Europe

ZHJ&T said:
Right on Scott and I can't believe I didn't see you at the show man. Thanks so much for picking up the CD man and wish I could have chatted it up with you at PP. METAL!!
Jasun

Hey dude... yeah I saw you a few times, but you were in the midst of signings, photo ops, and what not. I tend to be a little more discreet and insconspicuous. Plus, I actually watched most of the show so I was seated for much of the event. Didn't hit the parties, either... But next time I'll hit you guys up for some rapid ascending and descending arpeggio tips. Being something of a introvert-to-average shy dude, my self-promotion of my OWN CD was non-existent, although Chris-F5 was supposed to be my wingman.

Anyhow, yeah, man, no problem, glad to hear you enjoy the constructive criticism, and believe me you guys are great, and very personable which is a definite plus in world of music. I'll be sonically devouring SoPBB all week, man... I'm just sorry to hear I got my copy before YOU did, lol!

I expect you better be doing some San Diego shows, as you are FINALLY hitting the East Coast weeks after I split from the area for the left coast. Bastards! ;-)

*My brain is still fried from the weekend so here's a "cut and paste" from elsewhere...

The Zero Hour performance was outstanding! Chris is truly an amazing fit with the band. I had a few moments where I thought "Erik who?" I absolutely LOVE Erik's vocals...so that just goes to show you how wonderful Chris sounds with the band.

My early favorite song from "Specs" is the title track...but that may change after I've had more time to properly digest this disc. At this point I'd say "Specs" is AT LEAST EQUAL to "ToA"....it could surpass "ToA" but it's still too early to tell. :loco:

Stacy
ZERO HOUR RULES!!

******I'm soooo looking forward to the show in Houston!!! :headbang:

Here are a couple of pics with the guys from the weekend:

ZHMegsmaller.jpg

ChristinaZHMegsmaller.jpg

ChristinaMegJasunsmaller.jpg

I miss you guys already. :( Looking forward to November!