Zero Hour's new album, and ProgPower 7 performance

Urayoan It's awesome to hear you never heard of us before the weekend and very STOKED the CD was worht you picking up. I heard about that Chris in regards to the PoS story, I think you posted that a long, long time ago on the PM Board.

Appreciate all the support guy's and we had a great time talking to everyone.

Jasun/ZH

sccaldwell said:
While I disagree with some of your points ("lack of melody in the vocals, "especially), you were polite about it and explained your view with some suggestions instead of just "this sucks". Having said that...:)... Really? I actually think Specs has the best vocal melodies of any ZH release, and not just because I think Chris has an amazing voice. Maybe you just need a couple more listens? If that doesn't do it, then I guess that's just the way of opinions... :loco: Craig

That's right, agreeing to disagree is fine, and keeping the whoop ass cans on the shelf until the expire is likewise, a good strategy, lol. I'll still have to disagree with your disagreeing with me though, haha. Indeed I DO plan to spend alot of time with this one. AFM was more an immediate listen - for Zero Hour - for me, and I find it's been unduly slandered around all the boards, but that's ok, I just don't see why though... it's not your typical expected ZH, indeed.

ZHJ&T said:
What's crazy is I haven't heard the mastering version of the CD and not one member in ZH has a copy of "Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond". (All of us must have been very tired and forgot to get our copies off Ken but we'll have them soon). I was told the mastered copy sounds very good so I'm very excited to hear the end result. If everyone who has listen to the disc thinks the end result sounds KILLER then I'm STOKED!!!!
Jasun/ZH

I hate when THAT happens... that is, when the FANS get the finished copy BEFORE the band, lol! That's the situation when your getting prepped for a huge ass metal fest with a brand new release weeks away though.

Several of you have asked the same questions, so here is my take:

1. Yes, the production is excellent. I think it is their best yet. It sounds warm and rich, yet crisp and clear. There is lots for the ear to single out, and the production allows for repeated listenings to pick up something new. :kickass:

2. Yes, it is better than Towers. And even if you still like Towers better, I believe most fans will at least acknowledge that the new one stands on its own as a brilliant work of art in the form of music. :worship:

3. Yes, Chris more than fills Erik's shoes. Chris has a lot of range and warmth. He has power and depth. And I admire his courage in following his heart by joining two bands (Power of Omens, and Zero Hour) that are unique in the genre of metal. He could have taken the safe route and been snapped up by any number of other power/prog metal bands that would love to have him contribute his talent. :headbang:

Rawk!

Jax said:
I have to say that it was sure nice to hear that voice again..I've missed it.

You're not kidding....I was listening to Power of Omens' "Eyes of the Oracle" (shortly before Chris joined ZH), and kept thinking..."Dammit, but I hope he finds another band to join...and not just 'another band,' but one actually worth of his talent, like PoO was."

Wishes CAN come true.

Thanks, guys!!

Craig

The Zero Hour performance was outstanding! Chris is truly an amazing fit with the band. I had a few moments where I thought "Erik who?" I absolutely LOVE Erik's vocals...so that just goes to show you how wonderful Chris sounds with the band.

My early favorite song from "Specs" is the title track...but that may change after I've had more time to properly digest this disc. At this point I'd say "Specs" is AT LEAST EQUAL to "ToA"....it could surpass "ToA" but it's still too early to tell. :loco:

Stacy
ZERO HOUR RULES!!! ;)

Virtual Scott said:
Secondly, I agree with the fact that there was so obvious a lack of vocal melody, chorus's that grab your attention and other elements that were far more obvious on their last CD (the vastly under-rated AFM) - which is the downfall of much prog metal in my opinion.

Downfall, you say? And in the rest of the post you continually harp on a lack of "repeating vocal melodies." I'll admit ZH is not a band that repeats themselves in a traditional sense. And that's a GOOD thing. That's a real aspect of PROGRESSIVE music - unusual and non-repetitive song structures, even in vocal parts. It's not supposed to be 'catchy,' it's supposed to make you think, force you to keep up with it. Challenging material simply doesn't consist of easy to recognize, easy to hum stuff. Of course there is a spectrum of how repetitive music is, from pop songs with endless choruses (GAG ACK YUCK) to free jazz and ultra-modern symphonic music (GAG ACK YUCK). In the middle is still a huge range, and Zero Hour just have picked a place that is less repetitive than most other metal bands choose. That doesn't make the material weaker or stronger, just DIFFERENT, as you acknowledge:

To what degree this is a weakness, if indeed a weakness at all, is a matter of personal perspective. In my case, it's fairly large one considering the new vocalist they have and his vocal prowess... and the fact that they've shown themselves capable of it.

I have no idea how long they worked with Chris on vocals. Maybe it was rushed. I really like what I hear on the CD, though, and I don't hear anything 'missing.' The last CD was totally LACKING in what I look for from the vocal component of ZH: INTERESTING melodies, compelling lyrics, and a lack of dull repetition. I think they themselves recognized that the vocal style didn't really work the way they wanted; they certainly could have encouraged Chris to sing choruses over and over again, but they didn't.

I probably should invest in flame-retardant materials starting with this post! ;-)

Nah. You want ZH to be something they aren't, more like old Queensryche or Dream Theater or something. Instead, they go a way that is less well-travelled, regardless of how the majority of people might want. Those are the most memorable artists in the end: the ones that go their own way and sound unique. As Shrike mentioned, there are great parallels to iconoclastic acts like King Crimson and Tool in the music of ZH, but in general they don't even sound like those bands - they just take a similar approach to writing and making music.

I thought they were AMAZING on Saturday, despite some problems with the guitar sound, and I can't wait for next month to see them headline in Houston!
lmjh

I wanted to like them....I really did. There was no question the talent and the chops were there, I just didn't get it. It just seemed like the same riff over and over. So...I left for awhile. But, after reading through this thread, I will not write them off. Somebody name me a disc to start with and I'll give them another shot...

I was so happy that Zero Hour was a part of the fest this weekend. What a brute of a band, haha! I kept telling my friend who had never even heard them how he was going to get his ass kicked, and then you hear "ARE YOU READY TO GET YOUR ASS KICKED?" haha. And boy did they. Can't wait to see this band come around here in November. Cheers!!

KingsGene said:
I wanted to like them....I really did. There was no question the talent and the chops were there, I just didn't get it. It just seemed like the same riff over and over. So...I left for awhile. But, after reading through this thread, I will not write them off. Somebody name me a disc to start with and I'll give them another shot...
I'd suggest checking out the samples available online then you can choose which cd to start with. :)
http://www.zerohourweb.com/pages/media/mp3.htm
or
http://www.myspace.com/zerohourband

I'm interested to hear your thoughts! :)

Stacy

KingsGene said:

Start with the new one. Then listen to the tracks in this order and see what you think: 3, 6, 2, 7, 1, 5. I know that's weird but I think you'll be able to assimilate that.

If you like that, then get these two for sure:

Towers of Avarice (their classic)
Metamorphisis (this is a remake of their great debut plus additional tracks.)

Rawk!

I cant get into them. Definately talented bunch of guys though thats for sure.

I love high falsetto singing, but that style just makes me cringe even more than Jim Gillette did with Nitro.

I have to say that Specs is an incredible disc. I don't really consider myself a hardcore "Prog" fan, aside from my love of Rush and Dream Theater, but after hearing the sample for "Evidence" on the site, I was really looking forward to catching ZH. I actually thought their live set was amazing (not having heard a single thing of their studio work), and the album has been on play several times since I brought it home.

Also, the guys in the band were cool to me the entire weekend. It was also hilarous to constantly overhear "Man, that's Awesome...Thank you SOOOO MUCH!", when they were talking to fans. :kickass:

biggs0072000 said:
Also, the guys in the band were cool to me the entire weekend. It was also hilarous to constantly overhear "Man, that's Awesome...Thank you SOOOO MUCH!", when they were talking to fans. :kickass:
Yes, they are definitely a nice group of guys, and VERY grateful to their fans. They are so giving of their time.

The Shrike said:
Start with the new one.

If you like that, then get these two for sure:

Towers of Avarice (their classic)
Metamorphisis (this is a remake of their great debut plus additional tracks.)

Rawk!

Agreed, as the new one is the only with Chris Salinas, and it rocks, it's a good place to start.
Towers is one of my top 5 all-time CD's.:worship:

NP: Mindflow-Mind Over Body