100 greatest prog metal bands...

Note that it is a combined list of prog rock and prog metal, which I think is an odd choice when you have The Flower Kings and Psychotic Waltz right next to each other in the list...

Anubis Gate above Dream Theater?

This has got to be one of the stupidest lists I've ever seen in my life. Whoever put this together clearly doesn't know that much...

It reads a lot like someone's collection rather than an order of greatness.
But I learned about soy products, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

When you're compiling a list of the Top Prog Metal bands, and you leave Queensryche and Dream Theater out of the Top 50, you should go ahead and feel free to consider yourself someone who has no business creating such a list.

Looks more like a list of the top 100 prog bands, and then someone just hit the "randomize" button. Circus Maximus at 12? Spastic Ink ahead of Watchtower?

Clueless. Now there's two minutes of my life gone that I'll never get back.

Riverside at 99??? LOL there are all kinds of things wrong with this list...

When you're compiling a list of the Top Prog Metal bands, and you leave Queensryche and Dream Theater out of the Top 50, you should go ahead and feel free to consider yourself someone who has no business creating such a list.

As someone who loves Operation Mindcrime and Rage For Order - even a fan of Empire - can you tell me what's at all "prog" about Queensryche? I'm actually serious, because I've heard alot of people consider QR to be a "prog metal" band and I never got it. To my ears, their songs are no different than Maiden's in terms of composition and riffs. If you listen to Dream Theater or Watchtower and how they would go into crazy Rush-inspired jam sections all the time, it's pretty obvious where their influences are. QR though to me was always a straight up heavy metal band to my ears. Of course, this is semantics and genre stuff can get really stupid really fast, so don't mistake me for someone that really cares at the end of the day! Just curious haha.

Don't see what the big deal is, this is probably just a list of his favorites. Dude's got Lemur Voice in his top 25, he probably knows his stuff.

As someone who loves Operation Mindcrime and Rage For Order - even a fan of Empire - can you tell me what's at all "prog" about Queensryche? I'm actually serious, because I've heard alot of people consider QR to be a "prog metal" band and I never got it.
It's a fair question.

I think we tend to think of Prog Metal as being well played, well executed music with lots of time changes, etc. But QR was progressive in the truest sense of the word; they pushed the genre forward. Very few bands do that, in any genre. As Glenn said, nothing sounded like Rage or Mindcrime.

I'm perfectly OK with the view that QR is not Prog Metal. However, once you categorize them as such (as the writer of this article did), then they need to go to the top. I say that for two reasons:

1. Rage and Mindcrime >>> everything by everyone on that list... or for that matter, on any list, ever

2. A good number of bands on that list wouldn't be the same without QR

The first reason is completely subjective. The second reason, less so.

As pointed out, this is just someone's personal list of favorites. Nothing wrong there, and taken as a whole, this guy clearly is into the stuff. There is an understandable presumption that the list is a ranking, but it seems more likely to me that it's just his list of a hundred bands that he likes in the order that they came to his mind when he was typing.

I just didn't expect to see a death metal band on the list (there could be others on there, but none that I recognised). I do think of Cynic as progressive, but no more do than Death or Pestilence.

Wow, Watchtower so far down (#94). :( Without them you wouldn't even have most of the progressive metal around today. So much for being innovators of a genre. haha.

and yeah, what is up with RUSH?!?!?!?! c'mon.