$15 an hour for recording in a half assed sound treated BEDROOM

the $15/hr studios have their place in the world, just like walmart and just like kia. in the end you get what you pay for.

Bust your ass to make shit sound as good as you can and let your work speak for itself.

+1 Why do you care? You could think your whole life about what other people are doing and it would not help you out in any way at all. Keep doing what works for you and it's all good.

Just work with euro band's they bitch 10 times less then american band's and actually want to pay for quality. :) we have about 20 bedroom warrior studios in our town and it really has not affected us at all. Other then weeding out all the garbage local bands that we would rather not work with anyways. Just keep pushing your name out there and put out a product that attracts bands to you. If you have a sound they are looking for they will pay for your work.

You realize that Wal-Mart systematically undercuts competitors to force them out of business? You're not helping your case by citing them as an example.
Yep, Walmart's not exactly a great example/analogy/whatever. It sells the same products as it's smaller competitors, whilst the bedroom warriors are not offering the same product as possibly more experienced engineers working out of reasonable sized studios.

I could probably be classed as a 'bedroom warrior', but the difference is, I'm not trying to peddle my services for ridiculously low prices because I have a huge amount of respect for the experienced guys on this forum that have been a HUGE help to me and countless others.

Just work with euro band's they bitch 10 times less then american band's and actually want to pay for quality. :) we have about 20 bedroom warrior studios in our town and it really has not affected us at all. Other then weeding out all the garbage local bands that we would rather not work with anyways. Just keep pushing your name out there and put out a product that attracts bands to you. If you have a sound they are looking for they will pay for your work.

Pretty much this, they are the bottom feeders they will end up recording the bands you don't want to bother with anyway. The bedroom warriors have their own niche in the market.

And call me an optimist but a handful of the bedroom warriors might end up working in a real studio someday, gotta start somewhere!

Competition is competition. Whether they have over 100k in equipment or have only spent 500$ on equipment and plugins. The ear is the only real gear that is important.

Times have changed - it's no longer required that a band seek out what was once considered a professional studio (think of what was considered a studio from even 20 years ago) to get music recorded, but then again having your music published no longer requires the backing of a record label either. With the advent of cheap digital technology (constantly increasing it quality with each release) and the ability to self publish music to the internet, it's unrealistic to expect that what was once expected as compensation would still hold true.

Even if you disregard the technological side of the equation or the number of unremarkable bands with the capability to record their music these days in a cheap, yet with somewhat quality end results, just look at the sheer number of people that not only come to this forum, but also the multitude of forums. dedicated to an art that once required skills handed down through long internships, the right connections, ... and you begin to draw the conclusion that it's just plain easier and cheaper to get music created and out there for people to hear.

Think about the vast amount of knowledge that is freely shared and readily available with a simple internet search - information that was once considered trade secrets, the information that separated your so called "pro" level engineer from your "bedroom warrior" and ask yourself why a no name band would not seek out the $15 dollar / hour deal thinking they would be getting similar results of all the other no named bands out their publishing their music all the while thinking they are somehow equal in talent to those bands that have seemed to garnered popularity in this internet driven age of high quantity low quality consumption.

Trust me - as a hobbyist in this world of music I love the access to the what was once thought of as dark arts of recording techniques and skill. I love the fact that I can buy the makings of workable home studio for very little investment. Even given those things I'm also thankful I had an alternative career already in place before I discovered this capability otherwise I very well might have been tempted to chase this rabbit down it's hole. If you do it and your successful - good for you and you deserve all the rewards, but don't kid yourself, unlike the past, you are now competing with a bargain basement market, in terms of providers and clientele. If your seriously worried about the $15 / hour competition impacting your desired place in this world, the world has indeed changed, but your thinking it's the same as it once was when a band, with the backing of a label, was shelling out big money to studios with reputations for turning out quality product (this now sadly seems to the the exception to the rule in many cases).

I'm sure some here will, and have, built up a reputation and garnered the interest of bands capable of a larger investment in their music - but the truth is there are a lot more people thinking they can do it for less with results just as good as people calling themselves professionals; their willing to put up an advertisement for a service thinking someone will pay them to do it (all the while undercutting prices to make ends meet while they "build their reputation").

The funny thing is - times have changed for many industries, not just music. Technology and the information age have made many a man wealthy while making many more obsolete.

This was not meant as a direct response, just an observation on the whole subject of doing this for a living - it looks like fun, it looks interesting, but the times have changed and it really is adapt or die for many seeking music as a profession. Always have a backup plan in place.

As always - all just personal opinion, nothing more nothing less - not intended as an insult to anyone who dreams big or those that have (or will) make it in any career. Just be realistic and understand your environment.

You realize that Wal-Mart systematically undercuts competitors to force them out of business? You're not helping your case by citing them as an example.

fine. walmart is a bad example. my point is that cheap mass produced goods/services have their place in any market. it is the responsibility of the high end/quality segment of the market to justify their higher cost to customers and avoid being undercut by the competition.

hey guru, maeby theres something wrong with you? I dont see joey around, why are you still bitching?

Is anyone bothered by local "studios" which were started by people with too much money and too little recording knowledge? There are bedroom warriors here who make them sound like complete noobs. It sucks when your friends go to these "studios" when there are much better places to go. Oh, well.

This is considerably more annoying honestly.

Bedroom warriors... :lol:

What bedroom warriors? The only time someone is a "threat" is when their work is good, gear and place of business aren't relevant.

I'm cheap, people that don't like it can pound dirt.

i dont think your impressive amp collection makes you any more of a professional than any bedroom warrior. although i can agree with cracked plugins being frustrating.

Even then, I don't see why it's the engineers that get pissed about cracked plugins. It aint your wages that are going down the pan, it's mine!! :p

Working with euro bands??? really???
I think is really the same, eropeans americans, what's the difference? you're just fortunate to find Europeans that want quality.
Over here is the same as in the states: bedroom warriors are winning.
Not complaining a bit about this, if there's someone better than me I can't fucking really do nothing even if it's a bedroom warrior.

A lot of you guys have got this whole deal a bit backwards. No, the bedroom warriors are not a "threat" (holy shit I hate that word, it sounds like you should be afraid of some 15-year-old emo kid calling out on your great hoax), but the market is absolutely saturated with low-ballers, which unfortunately has a way of bringing the overall pricing down in order for the competition to stay realistic. I know for a fact that quite a few people on this forum work with or have worked with some of the bigger names (even though they never make a big deal out of it, because these guys are the bread and butter of the industry - hard working, humble professionals), and those people know what the real rates of the bigger league dudes can be these days. I had a huge eye-opener in this matter when I actually had to cut my rates in order to compete with an awesome engineer who originally was one of my idols when I started out. And you guys don't even want to know how much my hourly pay was after taxes, insurance and all that.

Think of it this way: There are five major, "real" tire businesses in your town. If there's a couple of shady, cheap businesses as well, it's not a problem. The cheapskates with crap cars will use the shady shops and the rest will choose the good shops. Now, if there are in fact three dozen shady, cheap businesses in town, chances are a couple of them are actually pretty decent, and people start wondering why the major shops are charging so much without realising they have expensive equipment, good staff, a great coffee machine in the waiting room and so on. Sooner or later the major shops will have to adjust their rates in order to keep the business going, which means longer hours and less pay for the staff and so on. The whole market gets twisted in the end.

This shit is old and tired. Personally, I couldn't care less what someone is using or where they're recording out of if their results blow... They could have a gigantic studio with rooms full of gear, a decent amount of carefully selected pieces of equipment, or a POD and some headphones. It all comes down to what the person can do with what they have and what they know.

There are quite a few extremely nice studios out there housing seriously untalented mixers/engineers, and there are equally as many guys out there who use fairly modest setups with excellent results.