$15 an hour for recording in a half assed sound treated BEDROOM

This is considerably more annoying honestly.

Bedroom warriors... :lol:

What bedroom warriors? The only time someone is a "threat" is when their work is good, gear and place of business aren't relevant.

I'm cheap, people that don't like it can pound dirt.

I've heard you're stuff and it's good. You have the right to charge whatever you want =)

I was just using the term "bedroom warrior" in the same (albeit jokingly) pejorative manner that many others do (non-jokingly) on this forum. Forgot to use quotations to hint at that. haha. What I mean is that there are "kids" on this forum who can wipe the floor with some of the guys in the real world with "real" studios as far as what actually comes out in the end. I agree, a lot of people think because you have a big and dedicated (and around here they are often mostly empty) space with a pane of glass between yourself and your live room that you are the better choice. Appearance is more important than results. I myself am not trying to do this mixy mix/enginerd thing as a job, it's currently just a passion and a hobby which helps me to make my own music. I don't consider myself good enough to do anything professionally because I'm just not. But still, this is an interesting phenomenon to see from where I sit.

For example, there is this new "professional" studio nearby... and the recordings are not of a professional caliber at all. The owner/operator tracked a single with some friends of mine with software monitoring on and plugins enabled all over the place while doing so. Guess how awesome the tracks sound because of that 15-20ms delay! You can clearly hear hesitation in all the instruments, drifting drums, the obvious drum edits, the goofy sounding sample-replaced kick/snare, etc. He also tracked everything through the same all-in-one Presonus preamp/mixer. I don't blame his gear necessarily, but is it really ideal to record the drums, bass, guitars, and vocals all through the same mics and pres? The tracks seem to fight each other for space. Buuuut, remember, he has a big "real" actual supertastical mega awesome studio! Inmyface!

It's irritating because I want to hear good local bands sound good, and not to sound like cardboard drums and guitars plugged into 56k modems. But in the end we have to realize that the bands *choose* to go to whatever studio. Likely a $ based decision. No one made them go even though we would feel so much better if that were the case. But I do think that these smaller little "bedroom" type studios are where things are heading. Many of them do fantastic work so I kind of like it when they "steal work" from a bigger studio. hehe.

I'm not quite bedroom anymore, but it's always been (at least in my head) bedroom = house.

Am I in a bedroom? No. Am I in a basement? Yes. :lol:

Do I give a single fuck about my "legitimacy?" No.

Do I give a single fuck about what others charge or what they think of what I charge? No.

Does any of that shit really matter? Hell no.

Further, I'm finding more and more that people that crack software generally suck at mixing and recording anyway.

Why?

Because they have 300 plugins and know how to use exactly none of them. They google around for producer X's presets and drag and drop that shit in.

People that buy their plugins, software etc... generally put in the time with them and know how to actually fucking mix with them. So the $15 bedroom guy is almost never a real issue.

Yeah, like having a whole shitload of plugins actually makes you a better mixer. I remember when I thought that was the case, lulz.

The local studio guy I mentioned has tons of cracked plugs (apparently he bragged about it to my friend). I think he has the lag because he thinks all of them need to be used while tracking to get the boom.

Yeah, like having a whole shitload of plugins actually makes you a better mixer. I remember when I thought that was the case, lulz.

The local studio guy I mentioned has tons of cracked plugs (apparently he bragged about it to my friend). I think he has the lag because he thinks all of them need to be used while tracking to get the boom.
oh wut?! I'm not supposed to put Ozone on all of my tracks while tracking? :confused:

al-pacino-devil-devils-advocate.jpg

mayan-calendar.jpg

I'm $150 for 10 hours and $30 per song for mixing and I'm in my apartment bedroom. I have permission to freelance out of a nice studio here at $25 an hour, to which I'd raise to $35 per hour to make it worth my time- but my portfolio is too small/old to show what I can do in a controlled environment rather than amp sims and all that.

It's frustrating when I don't have the portfolio for the clients and the clients for the portfolio.

idk I'm super critical of my stuff and still trust myself to make judgement if my ability can be better than the product of a pro- nowhere near where I want to be, but I'm doing the best with what I have... so I'm not sure I understand the hostility- weren't you in your garage not 12 months ago?

I feel like for the most part the "pros" don't even have the time to get on this website anyway

I experience this a lot Orlando especially because of a certain recording school nearby. Pretty much everyone with an Mbox and a Rode nt1a thinks they have a recording studio around here and most people will work for nothing just to get some sort of experience. In the Craigslist musician section there's usually a new "studio" popping up every week. I've more or less stopped recording because nobody wants to pay for what they can get for free around here. They don't care that the end product sounds like dick.

I think one of the worst offenses I've seen is the guy running the old Gridlock/Chango studio space. I think he took over the space on a whim with no recording experience at all, got an iMac with Logic 8 and every cracked plugin he can get his hands on. No idea how to use any of it and straight up told me he just uses presets another dude gave him. I'm pretty sure the first time he ever mic'd up anything was the night I went over while my friends were recording there (for free of course) I wound up resetting everything on the drums. Oh, and he's using the live room as a lounge and the shitty room that should be for storage to track drums. He's a nice enough guy, I guess, but he's like a 2 year old that was given the keys to a Ferrari.

Bedrooms warriors aren't a threat. I belive that if you are really good at what you do you will become successful but it takes time. Just like any other business it takes time to get your name out there. Im starting to get better and better clients but of course its tiring when people want you to do a whole record almost for free (atleast if you gonna pay taxes etc) but you need to keep on trying. And do you really want to be involved with someone that don't want to pay for quality?? Those clients usually gonna be a bitch and I for instance said that i would give my business atleast 5years before im thinking of doing anything else.