1666 things you've noticed about a dt forum member -

*claps*
I agree on many levels with your post marduk, I just think it's sad it has to come to this.

What do I think about all of it?

Well, hyena, let's say you go to an elementary school and point out all of the things that seem obvious to you, simply because you've already gone through it. For example, let's say you said: "That kid walking over there has no friends, but is just trying to look like he has something to do" What have you accomplished by saying that? Probably the only thing is lowering the kid's self-esteem further

Now, I'm not saying Undo is that kid with no friends :D, but perhaps it would be best for him to live life the way he chooses and not have your advice imposed over it. Sure, you're older and have experienced his age years ago, but did you have someone telling what your imperfections are, or did you figure them out for yourself? If I had found something that had made me happy (like UC) and you came by to denounce it, I would feel like shit and would be blind to the advice you were trying to give me. So please, if your sick of Undo's "cute" talk, ignore him, don't try and obliterate it.

Personally, I'm glad Undo's found someone he's happy with. While I find it puzzling that he is in love with her without meeting her, who am I to decide whether he is or isn't? Undo is a great friend to me, helps me out with tons of things and why would I ruin a great friendship over small details that I shouldn't even be talking about considering I haven't even experienced them?

hey, i'm not about ruining friendship or relationships or people's digestions.
to quote i-spy, our silly band caused a discussion and that's a good thing.

the post that marduk quoted (i'm saying this even if he's ignored me now and won't read the reply) had absolutely nothing to do with this forum. it had to do with a very specific event which had come to pass during the day, and i had a very specific person in mind who is not a forum member. by the way, the reason why i sort of attacked him - it was more of an outburst than an attack - had nothing to do with making him better, since he knows quite well how to do that himself. i was just angry with the world for a precise work-related reason and he ended up being caught in the cross-fire. so we're far off the mark here.

as for the whole incident, i think incendo summed the whole thing up with "besides all the discussions, this seems to me as an example of the psychological point of love; instincts of 'protecting someone' and 'being protected by someone'."

now, i'm all for people being free to engage in whichever relationships they want. but to me the idea of the big strong man protecting the hapless girl stays sexist, especially when the man is nowhere near big or strong or whatever other standard of manliness one may have in mind, but only relatively good with words. i won't try to prevent people from choosing sexist lifestyles. but i want them to be aware of that and admit that, so as to cut back on the number of lies that poison the world in this specific field.

say what you will. i think it's natural to want to be helped out and in a couple it should be reciprocal. on the other hand, i condemn stereotypical gender roles. it's not that i don't like guys with balls. on the contrary, i love them.

but i see many men looking for traditional equilibria only because they are insecure, and this should not entitle them to protect anyone. not to mention that these very men often declare themselves against sexism and macho culture. yeah, right, until you have to pick a partner.

So this is about Undo's quest for manliness? Perhaps you should get to know him better.

Zack said:
So this is about Undo's quest for manliness? Perhaps you should get to know him better.

This is about hidden sexism, mainly. And the reason why i felt i needed to make it clear is that it was, in fact, hidden. Which is proven by your reaction.

This sounds very contradictory to me. Many people (including you) say that Undo is stupid for saying he is love via the internet, yet you say you can detect subtle sexism through the internet. That baffles me.

On a lighter note, I just read the funniest/meanest/I don't know what to think of it thing in my life. See the chat thread

Zack said:
This sounds very contradictory to me. Many people (including you) say that Undo is stupid for saying he is love via the internet, yet you say you can detect subtle sexism through the internet. That baffles me.

i never said he's stupid for saying he is in love via the internet. i said he's insecure for being attracted to someone whose only traits he knows - or the first he was bound to notice - are worse than the corresponding traits of his. i also said that insecure men being attracted to women who don't express themselves as well as them is a mark of sexism.

oh, and the joke made by erik is no longer valid, master rahvin is single.

Why doesn't he break up with Rince and go out with Tritonus, then?

@ Erik- Ah, well he just wrote it a few minutes ago so...

O well he said you had "bad" grammar. So if he truly wanted to be with people who were "inferior" to him...
No worries, just an example :)

Zack said:
@ Erik- Ah, well he just wrote it a few minutes ago so...

he's never been what you'd call the sharpest knife in the drawer.

as for the discussion that prompted a lot of replies on here, i have to say that marduk's replies are way too emotional to be taken seriously (also, kind of hard to read in places). if he has such a big problem with controversial posts on the internet, this is something that should be a concern for him, not the rest of the users. having part of your day ruined by some comment made by strangers about strangers is a little unbalanced. there's probably room to look for the revolving spike in one's own eye before scouting for the needles in hyena's.

also, i don't know much about undo and rincewind, but i don't care. chalk me up with the cynical people who are indifferent to their plight, if there is any. as long as they don't make this place a powerhouse of sugar, they can make babies like rabbits for all i care. also, i'll meet them in july and i'm kind of looking forward to it, so i hope they don't e-break-up their e-relationship before then.

Tritonus said:
Ok...Are they really going to meet? Seriously?

who?

me, i'm going to meet whoever is at the evolution festival in july. seeing as how i don't exactly come equipped with a girlfriend as of now, it's unlikely that my plans will be thwarted by the cruel wheel of unlove.

as for undo and rincewind, i sure hope they are. otherwise i see no welsh-turned-mexican during my trip to the festival, and that would suck because i kind of like him a tiny teeny bit.

335. Hyena likes Voldemort
336. Undo's love life is a popular topic on the phorum
337. Plintus thought Zack was a girl.
338. Rahvin is triangular.
339. Warwick has a very tasteful avatar.
340. So does Plinypoo.
341. I have no inpression at all of Cuthalion, neither good or bad, except that he is either black or white.
342. QRV lives in a mug.

Ask him about it Tritonus, I'm sure he'd be delighted to tell you. I'd tell you but I don't want to submit personal information without asking him :)

rahvin said:
as for the discussion that prompted a lot of replies on here, i have to say that marduk's replies are way too emotional to be taken seriously (also, kind of hard to read in places). if he has such a big problem with controversial posts on the internet, this is something that should be a concern for him, not the rest of the users. having part of your day ruined by some comment made by strangers about strangers is a little unbalanced.

Yeah, you are right. Believe me, I have tried really hard to numb myself and be cool like the rest of you, I sometimes just cant help it. I dont see it as a flaw though. Im fucked in the heart, so to speak. :)

marduk1507 said:
Yeah, you are right. Believe me, I have tried really hard to numb myself and be cool like the rest of you, I sometimes just cant help it. I dont see it as a flaw though. Im fucked in the heart, so to speak. :)

i don't see it as being cool. considering the time i assume you must have spent online (you're my age and your job involves about as much technology as mine), it just seems weird that you're not numb enough to separate opinion from, say, blunt object wound to the cranium. it's not exactly a flaw, but it's like having a house in beverly hills and no panic room.