2007 in review aka opinions 07 -

I'm really surprised any one on this forum would know Dismantled, I just ordered his latest and supposedly last release "When I'm Dead" I'm hoping he will tour around my area, but I doubt it. It looks like he's trying to build up his other project Aerodrone.

Hey, nice surprise! :)

Yes, he goes on and on in the booklet about how all he's doing with Dismantled has become stale and everything. On the one side I think it shows integrity and intelligence to drop a project after four very good records instead of keeping releasing the same material under a different name. On the other, I'm a little sad Dismantled are over: I love Postnuclear and I think highly of all the other releases as well (you won't be disappointed by When I'm dead, I think).

Aside from Aerodrone, he's also involved in a project with a female singer: it's supposed to be called NNN, which stands for something I can't really remember right now, and while I'm not that fond of female vocals he's apparently going to be writing all of the music so it could be worth checking out. Unfortunately, aside from crappy places like the Apple iTunes Store, I can't really get a hold of any Aerodrone or NNN material. I was seriously thinking about writing to him directly asking if he could send me the records (for a price, that is).

I've seen Dismantled live in Washington D.C. at the now-defunct Nation. There were thirty people in the crowd, if that, but the performance was quite enjoyable.

I've seen Dismantled live in Washington D.C. at the now-defunct Nation. There were thirty people in the crowd, if that, but the performance was quite enjoyable.

Yeah, but one of the thirty was me, and this changes things entirely.

Speaking of another band who could have spared us their 2007 record, I'm marveled at how Clawfinger pioneered not only metalcore, but also the whole contemporary hip-hop scene with who's the real my pals vibe. :lol:

Speaking of another band who could have spared us their 2007 record, I'm marveled at how Clawfinger pioneered not only metalcore, but also the whole contemporary hip-hop scene with who's the real my pals vibe. :lol:

Yes, they were a little... out of place with their lines about how they had seen all the ghetto action ever. In Sweden? :confused:

Certainly their latest record sucks, I was listening to it yesterday and I know I won't do that again anytime soon.

Personally I could never stand Clawfinger and I'm amazed they are still around,
I guess at the end of the world it'll be them and cockroaches crawling in the
remains of their recordings going "man, this is some good shit".

And yes, Sweden has ghettoes too, I know, I used to live in one when I came
here... or course the rent was higher than what I pay now but the place was
really shitty. Of course the swedish ghetto is nothing like the US one, cos
after all everything is bigger and badder in the US ;)

Hey, nice surprise! :)

Yes, he goes on and on in the booklet about how all he's doing with Dismantled has become stale and everything. On the one side I think it shows integrity and intelligence to drop a project after four very good records instead of keeping releasing the same material under a different name. On the other, I'm a little sad Dismantled are over: I love Postnuclear and I think highly of all the other releases as well (you won't be disappointed by When I'm dead, I think).

Aside from Aerodrone, he's also involved in a project with a female singer: it's supposed to be called NNN, which stands for something I can't really remember right now, and while I'm not that fond of female vocals he's apparently going to be writing all of the music so it could be worth checking out. Unfortunately, aside from crappy places like the Apple iTunes Store, I can't really get a hold of any Aerodrone or NNN material. I was seriously thinking about writing to him directly asking if he could send me the records (for a price, that is).

Postnuclear is definitely my favorite album also, you can really feeling the emotion in that album. Im hoping When Im Dead is a little bit more serious than Standard Issue, which I enjoyed but it was pretty much just making fun of the scene.

NNN stands for No.Not.Never you can order the EP on their myspace
http://www.myspace.com/nonotnevertzazo

Damn! I'm jealous, good for you for seeing him live

Postnuclear is definitely my favorite album also, you can really feeling the emotion in that album. Im hoping When Im Dead is a little bit more serious than Standard Issue, which I enjoyed but it was pretty much just making fun of the scene.

The sound is a little more compact than on Standard Issue, although the focus on the harsh vocals is - as I'm sure you expected - gone, and the best tracks have the kind of hooks you could hear in a Madonna song. This is nothing bad per se, of course, but those intricated passages from Postnuclear are not back.

NNN stands for No.Not.Never you can order the EP on their myspace

Ah, yes, thank you! I was at the office and didn't have time to look it up.

Damn! I'm jealous, good for you for seeing him live

If I had known he was going to retire the band soon I would have tried to make more out of the experience. Instead I merely exchanged a few words with him after the show while I was buying a t-shirt. I probably didn't come across as very interested in Dismantled, although I have to say buying Postnuclear pretty much enlightened that year in music for me. Oh, well.

since you placed them 6th best album in 2007 and, unbelievably, best tour, i could ask you the same about Within Temptation :p (sorry guys it finally came out...couldnt help myself)

Well, that was a bit of a misquote: reading your quote of my message, one might think I am asking what is noteworthy about Gonzales. What I said is that I was a big fan of Gonzales, it was James Blackshaw that I had a problem with. Seemed monotonous and completely unmemorable (I've actually heard his album as well, and it did not help).

To answer your question with slightly flippant precision, the bridges/third verses of Within Temptation's new album is what does it for me: they are phenomenally catchy and resolve themselves beautifully in anthemic choruses. They accomplish very successfully what they set out to do. The album is not as ambitious or substantial as most on my list--including Scarsick, Systematic Chaos and Paradise Lost, which I placed just below because they are quite a bit more uneven, for all the amazing moments that those albums have. The Within Temptation songs are not progressive or innovative, exactly, but they are written and performed with utmost confidence, professionalism, and genuine emotion, even at times when the lyrics do come off as a bit cliche; as a result the album feels like a very successful work.

Now for my question? :rolleyes:

Best band - Rammstein

Worst band - so many I would not know where to start

Best album - Fiction by Dark Tranquillity (it's turning into my all time favorite CD)

Worst album - so many I would not know where to start

Best song - Fake It - Seether

Worst song - who's the jackass asking all these negative questions

Best tour - TOOL

Best live act - ZZ Top

Most over hyped band - Led Zeppelin

Most underrated band - Dark Tranquillity

Band you miss the most - Jimi Hendrix Experience

Band you want to go away - Iron Maiden(have not had anything new to say musically in over 25 years)

Best movie - Persepolis

Best TV program - LOST

Best web site - AOL news

Best game - the one within relationships

Best drink - water

for bonus points ...

How many times have you seen Dark Tranquillity in concert

In kilometers/miles what is the shortest and longest distance you've traveled to see a Dark Tranquillity concert
in miles shortest, 50 ... longest 900

Name several forum members you'd like to hook up with to see a Dark Tranquillity concert
Monroe

Ever hear a Dark Tranquillity song on the radio(air waves, not internet), if so what song(s), where
Shadow Duet ... Pittsburgh, PA (USA) Carnegie Mellon University Radio (WRCT 88.3fm)

How many Dark Tranquillity shirts do you own

What are your three(3) favorite Dark Tranquillity songs
My Negation, The wonders at Your feet, White noise/Black silence

What will be the title of the next Dark Tranquillity
Göteborg or Gothenburg

Best band - This was a Dark Tranquillity year for me, so them. Behemoth would be second.

Worst band - I'm going to echo JFAC. I can't stand them.

Best album - My favorite album this year? That's too damn hard. Fiction, The Apostasy, Year Zero, Era Vulgaris, and Fear of a Blank Planet were all enormously good, BTBAM's Colors, Radiohead's In Rainbows, the new Foo Fighters - I listen to all of these albums a ton. Damn, I liked a lot of music this year.

Worst album - The worst album I bought was In Sorte Diaboli. Waste of money.

Best song - I could pick a song or two off of every one of those afforementioned albums, so I won't bother.

Worst song - No songs came out that I absolutely hate, but I do get annoyed by the plethora of crappy American rock on most American radio stations.

Best tour - 1st place goes to Dark Tranquillity's US tour in March, can't remember its name. 2nd place to Behemoth's Radio Rebellion tour with Gojira. Awesome shows.

Best live act - Three way tie for me, between Dark Tranquillity, Immortal, and Behemoth. Amazing shows.

Most over hyped band - JFAC without a doubt.

Most underrated band - Porcupine Tree, I think, they're such a great band.

Band you miss the most - Tough one. Maybe Immortal or old style In Flames (but at least Immortal has a shot at making another album that's good, unlike the latter band).

Band you want to go away - Baroness or Mastodon. They're just too damn overrated for me.

Best movie - I didn't see as many as I wanted, so I'll abstain. Probably the best movie I actually saw was Sweeney Todd or maybe Pirates 3 (Johnny Depp for the win) and I liked Across the Universe (though I didn't think it was the best). I missed Atonement, No Country for Old Men, Teeth, Grindhouse (I'm a big Tarantino fan), 3:10 to Yuma, and There Will Be Blood, just to name a few ( :p ) because my local theater is very shitty.

Best TV program - House, but I don't watch much TV. I am also a Metalocalypse fan.

Best web site - I don't know, the internet?

Best game - Call of Duty 4, Metroid Prime 3, and Bioshock were all varying levels of awesome, but the best game would have to be Super Mario Galaxy. Its ingenious, and consistently excellent.

Best drink - Hard liquor or beer?

for bonus points ...
How many times have you seen Dark Tranquillity in concert: Once, this past year.

In kilometers/miles what is the shortest and longest distance you've traveled to see a Dark Tranquillity concert: 20 miles/32 Km. Same for longest.

Name several forum members you'd like to hook up with to see a Dark Tranquillity concert: I'd like a private concert for all the board members. I think we've earned it :p. EDIT: DAMMIT RAMPAGE :D

Ever hear a Dark Tranquillity song on the radio(air waves, not internet), if so what song(s), where
No, I wish. My college radio station lacks a metal show (I am planning on changing that during my tenure here).

How many Dark Tranquillity shirts do you own

None, but I do own a flask and a belt buckle.

What are your three(3) favorite Dark Tranquillity songs

Fabric, The Lesser Faith (its very headbangable to me), Lethe, but not limited to merely three.

What will be the title of the next Dark Tranquillity: Album, I assume? Probably something short and evocative, I'll go out on a limb and say "Aethyr".

Wow, reading through this thread has reminded me how disconnected I've been from music the past couple of years..

All I would have to humbly add to this thread is that of the (not too many) new albums I heard this past year, the most impressive in my opinion has been "The Apostasy" by Behemoth. And I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks so.

I think I might use some of these posts as recommendations for next time too..