Damage Done Review !!!

MadnessDK

New Metal Member
Oct 15, 2001
Here is a review of damage done i saw at www.metal-guide.com

and they liked it very much as you can see.........

DARK TRANQUILLITY : DAMAGE DONE

To start talking about Dark Tranquillity, is like start talking about Swedish Metal itself. Surely the band wasn't one of those that started it all, but definitely is one of them and surely one of the most influential too. Following the successful recipe, and continuing in the same vein of Haven, the band delivers another fine piece of Swedish Death Metal. It's their sixth album so far, and all the good elements of their music can also be found here as well. This time the sound is not so electronic or melancholic, rather more straight forward Death Metal, blended with huge doses of Thrash, but definitely not a revisit to their older days. The songs are aggressive, with many melodies and excellent guitars, and the vocals of Mikael Stanne are very close to perfection. The song structures are rather complex but quite easy to get into, with many nice and interesting ideas, and very well worked arrangements. The band has wrote an instrumental song, their first ever, is also something noticeable, since the song is something really different, but yet 100% Dark Tranquillity. The production comes as a final, but vital part of this album, to complete the already good work that the band has done. If you are a fan of the band or Swedish Death, then this album will stay in your player for a long time.

10/10 10/10

MadnessDK

nice review but with one mistake:
ex nihilo isnt their first instrumental
the first one was:
the minds eye from the minds I
mine is the... from the gallery is more the splited intro of the whole song mine is the grandeur of melancholy,not quite an instrumental

Actually don't forget "Mine is the Grandeur..." on the Gallery. It also constitutes as an instrumental, and an amazing one at that.:D

for me its no real instrumental .its just the splited intro of the whole song
I dont know why they have done that,only to have 11 songs on the gallery?
I would like 10 songs and one with over 7 minutes(the last one;
the last song must be the longest on a good album IMO,but there are just a few bands doing that f.e. iced earth,sad but true)

Damn...I CAN'T WAIT!!
How bad must those of you feel who willl get it even more than a month later?! Life can be so evil sometimes...

Uranium reviewed Damage Done a short while back. Here's the link:

http://www.uraniummusic.com/music/reviews/dark_tranquillity.shtml

Release Date: August 20, 2002
Ever since the release of the experimental "Projector" in '99, Dark Tranquillity have done wonders to distance themselves from the critically acclaimed and yet highly restricting Gothenburg sound. "Damage Done" showcases a Dark Tranquillity that draws from both the goth/black metal melodies that characterized "Projector" and the thick, uplifting guitar riffs that characterized "Haven". While "Damage Done" is a relatively even mix between of "Projector" and "Haven", the album feels far more complete and well-rounded than the somewhat monotonous, unsure mix of tracks on "Haven".
Keyboardist Martin Brändström has always played a pivotal role in Dark Tranquillity's prevalent melodies. "Damage Done" is yet another fine performance on his part, often overshadowing the brilliant guitar shreds to round off the songs evenly. Bands looking to integrate keyboard melodies with metal riffs should pay close attention to Dark Tranquillitys's methods. Even more impressive are the awe-inspiring guitar riffs and solos. While other Swedish heavyweights such as In Flames write riffs to emphasize thrash-fundamentals and fast tempo, Dark Tranquillity will slow songs down to allow riffs to further develop. Artistic flair is ultimately what sets Dark Tranquillity apart from their thrash-inspired countrymen.
The album opening "Final Resistance" is a relatively bland opening track, sounding like something straight off of "Haven". Things begin to get interesting during "Hours Passed In Exile". The "Children-Of-Bodom-esque" verse riff leads into a well-coordinated chorus melody led by meloncoly keyboards. "Monochromatic Stains" sees Dark Tranquillity drawing influence from early Soilwork material, with pounding, stop-and-go verse guitar riffs. "The Treason Wall" is one of the most Gothenburg-sounding tracks on the album, boasting charging snare/bass drum hits and extremely vocal guitars. The title track, "Damage Done", starts out sounding more like a Haunted song than anything else. The song ventures through several catchy tempo changes, and has some nice choppy guitar hooks during bridges.
Dark Tranquillity was the very first Swedish metal band I ever heard, and they have always been among my favorites. While "Damage Done" may not have the impact of Soilwork's "Natural Born Chaos", it is by and far a step up from "Haven", and ultimately a step in the right direction. Fans of Swedish metal looking for something slightly more melody-oriented and progressive should not miss "Damage Done".

children of bodom-esque, soilworkish, the haunted alike? :dopey: I don't like this trend of comparing bands with (kinda) different styles, plus I don't think soilwork's NBC is better than DD.

Originally posted by Thanatos
children of bodom-esque, soilworkish, the haunted alike? :dopey: I don't like this trend of comparing bands with (kinda) different styles, plus I don't think soilwork's NBC is better than DD.

Ill second those remarks :err: Bad review....or rather bad comparisons...

I'll third that.

Compare NBC to DD? No way.

I've only heard 2 tracks of DD, but I can't imagine it sounding anything like NBC.

And children of bodom? gah. DT have a depth that's unreachable for them.

gonna merge this thread with the other. one every week seems enough to me. :)

rahvin.

edit: @smathers: at least look if there's already a thread with the same title before starting another one. thanks.

I got the album off my friend's FTP server like a month ago still don't know how he got it so early but I'm not complaining since I've already have it (in mp3 format :( ) and going to buy the album anyways. It's a good album. The first track Final Resistance is probabaly the worst track. It's kind of boring. Then everything aftwerwards is pretty good. Hours Passed in Exile , Melachromatic Stains, Treason Wall and Cathoderay Sunshine are the stand out tracks for me. 8/10 would have gotten a 9/10 if the first track wasn't so crappy.