2011 Releases

HELL YEAH! This year seems like an amazing year for metal!

I'm looking forward to:

Wintersun
Arkona
Vintersorg
Burzum
Moonsorrow
Nightwish
Falkenbach
Hopefully Ensiferum

There were more, but I forgot :rofl:

This seems to be a great year for Folk! Really, I haven't seen so many major folk releases in one year in a long time. Even Wintersun is releasing an album (hopefully, it's about time). I can't wait to listen to new Symphony X either, I wonder if they'll be able to overcome Paradise Lost (which is my favourite).

Who knows, maybe The Gathering will release something :p .

Am I the only one excited about a new Turisas album?
Ok, so the song they released, Stand Up And Fight, didn't catch me as much as some of the stuff off of The Varangian Way at first, but I'm still sure there will be plenty of good stuff on the album.

Oh no idea, I'm just quoting other people. I think it was someone on the Dark Tranquillity forum that mentioned that the name was going to be "time" or something like that, but it's nothing official I think.

The album title, Time, and the track list has been confirmed for going on 5 years now. Hopefully Jari will be able get the thing out this year but I recommend not holding your breath on it.

Posted May 2nd 2006:

Wintersun has started "Time" album recordings

We entered the studios today. The day went setting up the drums, changing the drumheads, miking the drums, making the basic drumsound and Kai playing too fast all day long (and driving Nino crazy). Jiiiihhaaaaa! Tomorrow we will start the actual recordings.
In this studio session we will be recording only the drums, rhythm guitars and bass. I will continue recording the vocals, solos and synths/samples at my home "studio"/rehearsal place during the summer. The melody/acoustic guitars I will be recording with Teemu. The mixing will take place in autumn and the release is scheduled for the end of this year.

The album will be called "Time" and the track titles are:
1. Sons of Winter and Stars
2. Land of Snow and Sorrow
3. Time
4. Fire
5. One with the Shadows
6. Storm
7. Silver Leaves

Seven epic songs and quite long ones, over 65 minutes of material. It´s a theme album. The music has some new dimensions, but has also the recognizable "Wintersun style". So hopefully you will stay patient, the wait will be worth it!
- Jari

Am I the only one excited about a new Turisas album?
Ok, so the song they released, Stand Up And Fight, didn't catch me as much as some of the stuff off of The Varangian Way at first, but I'm still sure there will be plenty of good stuff on the album.

No sir. The record isn't as good as The Varangian Way but it has grown on me very nicely after my initial disappointment.

Obviously I'm excited for that record and the new Vintersorg :)rock:), but also I'm looking forward to a new Symphony X record, Rhapsody of Fire as well, Moonsorrow of course, Opeth. Hm, there's gotta be more.

The album title, Time, and the track list has been confirmed for going on 5 years now. Hopefully Jari will be able get the thing out this year but I recommend not holding your breath on it.

Yeah I've been holding my breath for five years *dies* :p .

Hopefully this'll be the year in which it's released.

Can't wait for new RoF, I wonder if they'll release something better than the last one. Difficult, but achievable.

@ Angry Metal Guy:

Completely agree with your review, new Falkenbach is a disappointment. I needed two listens to like it, but haven't heard it since then. It's too generic, and a huge let down after Heralding.

Actually, that was Kris' review, but still I totally agree with him. He gave it a higher score then I would've. I think it was bland and boring, I may have even given it a 2/5. Certainly not worthy of their previous material.

Thus far this Thomas Giles CD has gotten the highest rating I've given this year.

Actually, that was Kris' review, but still I totally agree with him. He gave it a higher score then I would've. I think it was bland and boring, I may have even given it a 2/5. Certainly not worthy of their previous material.

Thus far this Thomas Giles CD has gotten the highest rating I've given this year.

I think 3 is a fair score, but yeah it might as well get a 2 when compared to the previous material. And it's so short! It definitely feels more like an EP than an album, and not a very good one, mind you.

Downloading Thomas Giles. I hate BtBaM, but since this is "indie electronica" I'll give it a try; thanks for posting.

Djöfull;9625334 said:
Turisas are clowns with overblown keyboard effects.:loco:

Hmm.. reliable source?

Well, considering from Jari's comments on facebok, he finished recording the orchestrations in december so it's very likely that he's already mixing the album.

But well, at least we're going to listen to a new song in metalcamp or something, so that's definetely better than waiting without any samples or anything :p

Djöfull;9625334 said:
Turisas are clowns with overblown keyboard effects.:loco:

Hmm.. reliable source?

From wintersun's official site:

News update

Hi everyone! It´s been a while.

I´ve been working very hard with the synths&orchestrations and I can finally say that I´m feeling very positive about finishing this long and gruesome task by christmas. So hopefully around the end of December I can finally start mixing the album. I still have a few vocal parts unfinished, but I will be singing them meanwhile I´m mixing.

The only problem about the mixing is that my current computer gear simply cannot handle these insanely huge projects. And the other problem is that I have no money for new gear. So we have discussed about this problem with our label&management and they have agreed to help us with an advance to buy new and more powerful computer gear, but only if we agree to play a few shows and show people that Wintersun is still alive. So after carefully weighting all the different possibilies, we think we need to play these shows to help the completion of the album.

The shows will be for now:

Metalfest (3 shows)
Metalcamp (1 show)

There´s lot of work and preparation to do for these shows, ´cause we have to update our live gear as well, sort out technical difficulties and of course rehearse the songs. This will most likely affect negatively with the mixing schedule, so I can´t give any predictions with that yet. I also need to try out the new computer gear first and see how it handles these projects. The software is still not 64-bit, so the "infamous 4GB RAM limit" might also be a problem with the mixing, since these projects already eat about 3GB without any plugins. But I will do my best to overcome this challenge the fastest way I can.

And no worries, these shows will definitely not be cancelled. So we are looking forward to you guys, see you at the gigs! Who knows, we might even play a one new riff... I mean a song! ;)

Jari, Kai, Teemu & Jukkis