2012 North American tour thread *SPOILERS INSIDE!*

I don't know whether to laugh or cry :D what the fuck is that?

Songs from

LS/Sub, TJR, Whoracle, Colony: 1 (and it's the same song they've been playing forever)
Clayman: 1
R2R: 2
STYE: 1
CC: 2
ASOP: 3 (wtf)
SOAPF: 6

Sorry but that is absolutely tragic :D 9/16 songs from ASOP/SOAPF ffs. I remember when their setlists used to be 19/20 songs, was under the impression this was a headline tour for them so why is the setlist only 16 songs?

As I said earlier, due to holiday seasons and such they probably haven't had time to change up the setlist or they just didn't want too, but it's the same as the last fall/winter tour.

Really hope they change it up before the mini club tour in Scandinavia.

I don't think they have any interest in playing anything other than "the hits". Easier, pulls in decent crowds, why change?

I don't even mind them having a lot of SOAPF stuff in the set. It's their new album and to be honest it's pretty good.

As for having 3 ASOP songs... fuck off. Shit album, they should drop it live like they basically dropped STYE (which is actually a better album). They tend to only play TQP off STYE now, even MSS has been bumped from the set recently.

Hopefully soon ASOP will be reduced to one song too, or zero if possible.

While I like SOAPF as an album, I feel with the amount of songs they have overall, 6 is a bit much (especially since they tend to play the ones I do not like that much). The whole three songs of ASOP is a bit depressing as well. They played colony material within the last couple months (Colony, Insipid 2000)... why not fit in one from those instead of leaving an entire album unrepresented?

6 out of 16 songs being from one album does seem OTT. It's essentially 40% of the set devoted to a single album :confused:

I'm assuming they'll extend the set on future dates to 18/19 songs. Assuming it reaches 18 they should balance it as below:

TJR: 1
Whoracle: 1
Colony: 1
Clayman: 2
ASOP: 3
SOAPF: 5

Keep in mind I despise ASOP, I'd still be happy to go to a show with that balance. The new albums get decent representation, whilst the older ones also get a fair share of the set. As an "older" fan I'm not demanding they play an entire set based on 1996 - 2000, I know that's unrealistic, but a little balance wouldn't go amiss.

1. Sounds of a Playground Fading
2. Deliver Us
3. The Mirror's Truth
4. Fear Is The Weakness
5. Where The Dead Ships Dwell
6. The Jester Race
7. Episode 666
8. Colony
9. The Quiet Place
10. Delight and Angers
11. Ropes
12. Trigger
13. Alias
14. Pinball Map
15. Only For The Weak
16. Cloud Connected
17. Come Clarity
18. Take This Life

Keep in mind isn't the set I would personally want, but a set I'd realistically expect them to play that I'd actually be interested in. All albums from their history are represented in some form, the majority of the hits are in there (the ones left out can be switched around during the tour, for example System for Trigger or My Sweet Shadow for The Quiet Place). The latest album is well represented and most of the new songs come early on, which most bands tend to do. Then go from the new to the old, tell the crowd you're going to teach them the history of In Flames (hopefully convert a few to go into your back catalogue) ... might as well get all three out of the way at once. it'll only take up around ten minutes of the show, then if the crowd's looking a little dead because they're too gay to recognise the awesomeness of the older era get back to "tha hitz" for the remainder of the set.

Maybe I should apply to be tour manager.

6 out of 16 songs being from one album does seem OTT. It's essentially 40% of the set devoted to a single album :confused:

I'm assuming they'll extend the set on future dates to 18/19 songs. Assuming it reaches 18 they should balance it as below:

TJR: 1
Whoracle: 1
Colony: 1
Clayman: 2
ASOP: 3
SOAPF: 5

Keep in mind I despise ASOP, I'd still be happy to go to a show with that balance. The new albums get decent representation, whilst the older ones also get a fair share of the set. As an "older" fan I'm not demanding they play an entire set based on 1996 - 2000, I know that's unrealistic, but a little balance wouldn't go amiss.

1. Sounds of a Playground Fading
2. Deliver Us
3. The Mirror's Truth
4. Fear Is The Weakness
5. Where The Dead Ships Dwell
6. The Jester Race
7. Episode 666
8. Colony
9. The Quiet Place
10. Delight and Angers
11. Ropes
12. Trigger
13. Alias
14. Pinball Map
15. Only For The Weak
16. Cloud Connected
17. Come Clarity
18. Take This Life

Keep in mind isn't the set I would personally want, but a set I'd realistically expect them to play that I'd actually be interested in. All albums from their history are represented in some form, the majority of the hits are in there (the ones left out can be switched around during the tour, for example System for Trigger or My Sweet Shadow for The Quiet Place). The latest album is well represented and most of the new songs come early on, which most bands tend to do. Then go from the new to the old, tell the crowd you're going to teach them the history of In Flames (hopefully convert a few to go into your back catalogue) ... might as well get all three out of the way at once. it'll only take up around ten minutes of the show, then if the crowd's looking a little dead because they're too gay to recognise the awesomeness of the older era get back to "tha hitz" for the remainder of the set.

Maybe I should apply to be tour manager.

I'm really surprised they haven't played Jotun or Episode instead of the Hive. That song has been in the setlists for so long. Jotun even has a music video (mo for da hitz lol)

I'm pretty sure Swim isn't going to move though, they seem determined to bring that song back even if it means dropping Pinball Map or Only for the weak.

If you look at In Flames setlists over the years they kind of have form for playing the same songs over and over again. They're either quite boring people or lazy - I'd suggest it's most likely to be the latter.

But it's not their choice of songs that really bothers me, it's their overall album representation in their sets. I can understand when the setlists are shorter that albums aren't going to be represented fairly, but with a setlist between 16-20 songs it's inexcusable that they can't balance the albums properly. There's no way the set should be dominated by ASOP and SOAPF, and I very much hope they'll do the right thing and spread their album distribution out a little better if their setlist size increases a little.

Every album should be represented by at least one song (yes...even ASOP).

Maybe it's time they start doing "Old IF" and "New IF" shows...

That way I don't have to pay them money to have the privilege of listening Anders whiny mid-life crisis lyrics/singing, and poor emo/core kids can sing along and feel like shit without being frightened by that pesky ol' melodeath.

Every album should be represented by at least one song (yes...even ASOP).

Maybe it's time they start doing "Old IF" and "New IF" shows...

That way I don't have to pay them money to have the privilege of listening Anders whiny mid-life crisis lyrics/singing, and poor emo/core kids can sing along and feel like shit without being frightened by that pesky ol' melodeath.

This , or start making a big ass melody like Between the Buried and Me did recently.

Why i dont understand is why in fucks name they keep playing the same songs from the new albums. When was the last time we heard minus, drifter, superhero, vacuum, crawl through knives?...And they cant throw around that stupid excuse that those songs are hard to replicate live, since all the new albums are meant for a live setting or so they said. Really how many times do we have to hear cloud fucking connected or take this life?

IMO it's down to two reasons:

A) they're lazy. evidenced in studio diaries and the comments of producers who've worked with them.

B) they consider those songs "the hits" that everyone has come to see. as an example, one of my friends went to a show recently and one of his txts to me said "man, I really hope they play cloud connected and take this life!!" similarly I was at a festival a couple of years back that In Flames were headlining and a kid next to me said "I'll be happy as long as they play the quiet place!" I mentioned TJR and got a blank look in return. He didn't know the album :D

IMO, it would be really nice if they threw in some unexpected songs as a reward for people who turn up for the show. They're doing the same stuff again and again. Just lazy.

IMO it's down to two reasons:

A) they're lazy. evidenced in studio diaries and the comments of producers who've worked with them.

B) they consider those songs "the hits" that everyone has come to see. as an example, one of my friends went to a show recently and one of his txts to me said "man, I really hope they play cloud connected and take this life!!" similarly I was at a festival a couple of years back that In Flames were headlining and a kid next to me said "I'll be happy as long as they play the quiet place!" I mentioned TJR and got a blank look in return. He didn't know the album :D

Dear jesus fuck I had the same thing happen at Mayhem while I was in the line to get my clayman album signed.

f6b62ef385283bb66f554cacabfdc7d9.png

Dear jesus fuck I had the same thing happen at Mayhem while I was in the line to get my clayman album signed.

f6b62ef385283bb66f554cacabfdc7d9.png

People think I'm exaggerating when I say the new fans don't know what TJR or Whoracle are.... but I'm not, most of them do not have a fucking clue these albums exist :D and In Flames have themselves to blame, for not paying enough attention to these albums in their setlists post 2004.

Why i dont understand is why in fucks name they keep playing the same songs from the new albums. When was the last time we heard minus, drifter, superhero, vacuum, crawl through knives?...And they cant throw around that stupid excuse that those songs are hard to replicate live, since all the new albums are meant for a live setting or so they said. Really how many times do we have to hear cloud fucking connected or take this life?

They actually played Drifter when I saw them in '09. I love Cloud Connected and Take This Life, but it would be fucking sweet to see/hear them play Vacuum, Minus, Crawl Through Knives, or Our Infinite Struggle, etc. I know it would be ideal for them to play more from the pre-2004 albums, but I think a lot more people would be happy if they played even just a wider variety of their new songs.