2013: CONSTRUCT

\m/O\m/
What is so great about this song is that I have listened to it probably 10 times by now and it hasn't really started to sink in yet. It will grow even more on me and not get worn out.
Whereas the new Amon Amarth song is awesome and all but I feel that I will grow tired of it somewhere down the line.

I feel like I got tired of the new Amon Amarth track before it was done playing the first time. AA is a great band, they're probably the kings of traditional melodeath. But I can't help but feel like they've been releasing the same great album over and over. There's always a few good songs, but no one really counts on AA to show up and take us places we've never been before.

DT, on the other hand, exists to show us what's possible.

Break the path and let's get going
To the place where nobody ever goes

For Broken Words is an intricate song: there's a lot going on, and it definitely takes a few listens to absorb. But I'm extremely satisfied and more excited than ever for Construct's release.

I'm relieved that the keyboards are being used for subtle texture again, as opposed to full-on leads like on WATV (which seemed to relegate the guitars to a support instrument with simplified riffs). The clean guitars are refreshing and very evocative, especially the chorusy-effect at 3:08. After exploring the Damage Done/Character/Fiction sound for so long, this is a bold leap into new territory.

And even though For Broken Words is definitely experimental and a bit 'weird', the tracks in the teaser video sound a lot faster and heavier, and more straightforward by DT's standards. So I'd advise people not to freak out too much yet.

"It's one hell of a weird album and I didn't understand anything the first 3-4-5 times I heard it. As a fan of Projector it's growing on me because it has many aspects in common with it. It's not as technical as Character and Fiction and it's much more atmospheric than We Are the Void. Also slower and kind of stripped down to the core, more simplistic so that keys are in the spotlight rather than guitars. Not sure I can even speak of riffs, actually. Mikael's cleans are hypnotizing. All in all, quite difficult to get into it and it certainly takes a lot of time. That's why I listen to it like crazy - at home, at work, wherever, It just clicked on me recently."

There are some heavier tracks but it's really not what the album is all about. It doesn't matter as long as they make it diverse - I've had my share of aggressive sound in the last albums and for me, DT is mostly about sound evolution regardless of the chosen direction. That's why this worked, maybe.
Awesome! I'm really looking forward to this. :)

I just heard the new song. There's another thirteen (apparently) songs I haven't heard yet and it's impossible to judge an entire album from a single track, but if the rest of the album is like this song then I'll be a very happy fan. I hadn't been too happy with the Character/Fiction era, to be honest, but then WATV came along and replaced The mind's I as my favourite album; judging from this song, Construct may well do the same thing. I agree with the Last.fm girl about it sounding weird as shit, but it's good weird. This song is incredibly complex, and it sounds like DT is once again evolving into the unknown (for us fans). It's everything I had hoped for. I hope the rest of the album is like that.

I feel like I got tired of the new Amon Amarth track before it was done playing the first time. AA is a great band, they're probably the kings of traditional melodeath. But I can't help but feel like they've been releasing the same great album over and over. There's always a few good songs, but no one really counts on AA to show up and take us places we've never been before.

DT, on the other hand, exists to show us what's possible.

That's exactly the difference between Amon Amarth and Dark Tranquillity. AA is a bit like Pizza. There are slight variations in the topping but all in all it's always a pizza.
I really like them as much as I like pizza but sometimes you need something more variable to eat, then it's time for DT ;)
Both count into my most favourite bands, each for their own good sides.

New Amon Amarth sticks inside your head after listenig once or twice, and is really a good one in my opinion.
Will take me a lot longer again to get into the new DT album I think. But time will show me that it's worth listening over and over for sure :)

When I first listened to WATV is was deeply disappointed, now it's one of my mostplayed albums ever. It's good that I stumbled over DT after Character and Fiction and not WATV. Otherwise I might not really listen to them :D

New song did not touch me yet after listening to it three times. There's nothing really standing out to me so far. I mean it's not bad at all, it just doesn't give me the goosebumps by now. The previews of the other songs in the Trailer make me look positive to the full effort though.
And I never liked the first two tracks off WATV either so another not so good opener won't bring me off the path ;)

Looking very much forward to maybe hear a few more clean vocal parts on this effort :)

I haven't felt this excited about a new DT song since i don't know when... I have heard the song and it is unbelievable, i really thought that they can't progress any further but this is amazing and i really hope that the album will have this general mood. Great job guys, i didn't expect this and i am so grateful :)

Yes, yes
After several listens, must say I have smiles from ear to ear.
If this is any indication of the rest of Construct,
it will be my disc of choice for the Summer of 2013
YEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAA -

And here are the U.S. pre-orders through CM Distro.

Upsides: decent prices, reasonable shipping for U.S. addresses, different shirt than the European preorders, and both red and grey LPs available. Also a CD+Shirt+Poster combo.

Downside: both LPs appear to come with a bonus disc (probably the two bonus tracks) rather than a bonus 7". It's a small thing, but I personally like it less than a 7".

EDIT: It's actually not clear at all what's on the bonus disc. The ad says "bonus live tracks", but there's no tracklisting. I'm not sure if the American LP packages even come with bonus tracks; no mention of a 7" or the actual contents of the disc.

And here are the U.S. pre-orders through CM Distro.

Upsides: decent prices, reasonable shipping for U.S. addresses, different shirt than the European preorders, and both red and grey LPs available. Also a CD+Shirt+Poster combo.

Downside: both LPs appear to come with a bonus disc (probably the two bonus tracks) rather than a bonus 7". It's a small thing, but I personally like it less than a 7".

EDIT: It's actually not clear at all what's on the bonus disc. The ad says "bonus live tracks", but there's no tracklisting. I'm not sure if the American LP packages even come with bonus tracks; no mention of a 7" or the actual contents of the disc.

I'm in

Is there anything I missed for the different issues of Construct?

LP ... white, grey, red
CD ... box set(Germany), USA issue with bonus disc/tracks
a regular issue(no extra tracks), Japanese issue -

Isn't there also a black European vinyl? I think it's black and white through EMP and NB, and red and gray in the U.S. Plus the is basic CD release in Europe, and Europe and the U.S. both get the box set.

AA are one of my favourite bands, but I think your assessment is correct ;)
AA have been doing the same thing since Versus the World basically, adding some melodies, finetuning and stuff, but it's basically the same concept every time. I find myself listening to older stuff more and more, especially The Crusher, but the new stuff is pretty solid imo. They dont claim to reinvent metal and they dont. You know what to expect when listening to AA and with the right expectations, they dont disappoint ;)

So far I dont really know what to make of the new DT song. I tend to agree with anita's "Not feeling it". The lyrics are great but for some reason the song just doesnt feel as "intense".
Then again, all DT albums have taken their time to grow on me, so my opinion is probably not final ;)

Yeah, I'm not going to lie, this may be my new favorite DT song. Anders' drumming is incredible throughout. The harmony is weird as hell; it's almost "pop" in how bright and dramatic it is, but at the same time it get's really dark. The synths are pretty weird. I also like how it has one of those DT "non-solos" where it's like a solo but more musical than virtuoso. Also the way the vocals play with the weird, accelerating harmonic rhythm in the chorus. It's a great song, top to bottom.

Wow! I knew there would be more to this album than shown on For Broken Words ;) (Still not really getting into this one :/)

Impressive from start to end, especially a nice bridge/solo section :)

Damn I fucking love this song. 2:20-2:45 part especially, the tremolo riff is pure oldschool gothenburg melodeath sounding.

Both songs are quite impressive!!!

Man if they bring out some acoustic guitars on this album then it'll be my favorite DT album ever.

^ It's funny because even if there are only two songs out, some people are predicting that this just might be DT's best, even more than TG, Projector or DD. I'll have to wait but lo, the riffs on TSoN are just amazing; they really feel like a breath of fresh air, in metal in general and within DT.