2014 Grammy Nominees - Best metal performance

That is a good point. Like many awards, seems like it comes down to a popularity contest rather than a true evaluation of head to head products. Best Metal nominations and winners are well represented by the readily identifiable (Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer). Even Sabbath is a past winner. The under-representation of these same bands is notable from the “Best” type lists we post and consider here in Prog Power land. But I understand. Just think if we tried to pick an actual “Best Metal” project from our perspective. I’m not sure I am capable of picking a single favorite by, basically, saying “These other 50 in the given genre aren’t as good”. Are you kidding me? So, instead of watching the Grammys or the Oscars, I just dig on the next list someone posts here and learn. Life is good.

I know most metal people don't really care about the Grammy's, but congrats to Black Sabbath all the same. Iommi deserves it.

No Jeff Hanneman tribute ...
"One" turned up to super speed for some reason...
Black Sabbath wins an award that wasnt even televised... At least I didnt see it?

I guess I didnt expect much.

Ozzy legit did not seem aware that he won an award.

While I can sort of understand Sabbath taking the Grammy for best metal performance (even if it wasn't, by a longshot, the best metal performance), the sole fact that Led Zeppelin won a grammy for an album that came out in 2013, is a travesty.

While I can sort of understand Sabbath taking the Grammy for best metal performance (even if it wasn't, by a longshot, the best metal performance), the sole fact that Led Zeppelin won a grammy for an album that came out in 2013, is a travesty.

Sorry man, but nothing Grammy related is important enough to be called a travesty.

I think the only travesty is that folks who claim to be "in the know" about heavy metal in general would give a rat's ass about who got nominated for, let alone who won, a Grammy......

No surprise Sabbath won at all for very obvious reasons.
Would have been my pick too, given the nominees.

Heck, even most online underground sites top 10 list is filled with "safe" choices........

As much as I love Iommi, a Rick Rubin produced autotuned pile of shit that people call "Black Sabbath" in 2014 by happenstance shouldn't win anything.

As much as I love Iommi, a Rick Rubin produced autotuned pile of shit that people call "Black Sabbath" in 2014 by happenstance shouldn't win anything.

Do you have proof that Ozzy's vocals are autotuned?

Either way, as a big fan, I still enjoy "13". Sure, it's no Sabbath Bloody Sabbath or Sabotage, but still solid enough for this lineup of the band in the year 2013.

I think I said this on Facebook to one of Nina's comments.
Why even get upset or surpriseD?

The biggest slap in the face to me metal wise, was when Motorhead won the grammy for their cover of Whiplash. The suits were like, "Great kill two birds with one stone! We get to honor a rock n roll staple in Lemmy, and at the same time give a nod to Metallica" The travesty to me is that Motorhead released INFERNO that year which was their best in years at that time (IMHO).

As a big Sabbath fan, as a sidenote, I think a LOT of people are crapping on Ozzy more than ever since Dio's passing. Of course Dio is a better singer / vocalist / songwriter. That being said, Dio fronted Sabbath is a completely different band than with Ozzy. Period. Same goes with Born Again and all the Tony Martin albums. They all kick serious amounts of ass.

I am not saying that is the case on this forum with the discontent over Sabbath's victory. Just a side comment in general about the discontent over Ozzy in general, esp given the amount of Dio worshippers here.

It does kill me when people say that "the only two Sabbath albums that matter are Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules" that's fine if that's the ones you only like. It just means you are not a Sabbath fan at all. It means you are a DIO fan.

Anyone could see Sabbath was going to win. The award is meaningless.

The only thing I think is a travesty that I heard is that Hannenman wasn't in the "In Memoriam" especially considering he's part of a Grammy winning band.

Anyone could see Sabbath was going to win. The award is meaningless.

The only thing I think is a travesty that I heard is that Hannenman wasn't in the "In Memoriam" especially considering he's part of a Grammy winning band.

Yeah, the academy defends the recently departed ommissions every year.
With literally hundreds who pass away each year (unfortunately) its hard to capture them all. But no doubt a performing artist who has won a Grammy should take precedence over some who they do air whose role in "music" is questionable to begin with. (IE - DJs, sure they are important, but they do not aid in the creation of music. Just shoving it down your throat!!!)

None of this really suprised me. Heavy metal is only given the barest of lip service in the U.S. by the major labels - why would any U.S. based awards program really care?

Not saying its beyond the realm of possibility.
Just curious if this was ever truly stated anywhere that his vocals were auto tuned on "13"

Well, I will take a Sabbath show over a power metal show where there are more piped in tracks than live tracks on the soundboard!

Haha well that's kind of a false dichotomy there because those piped in shows are just as bad as autotuned Ozzy. It's for another thread for sure, but metal is a very "dubious" genre because it pretends to be about authentic musicianship when so many of it is fake. There was an article in the Wall St Journal about this very topic about a month ago!

And dude Ozzy has been autotuned for YEARS. He can't sing and hasn't been able to for a while. In fact, on the last Sabbath tour in 2005 Ozzy infamously toured lip synching to a backtrack.