2014 Grammy Nominees - Best metal performance

Haha well that's kind of a false dichotomy there because those piped in shows are just as bad as autotuned Ozzy. It's for another thread for sure, but metal is a very "dubious" genre because it pretends to be about authentic musicianship when so many of it is fake. There was an article in the Wall St Journal about this very topic about a month ago!

And dude Ozzy has been autotuned for YEARS. He can't sing and hasn't been able to for a while. In fact, on the last Sabbath tour in 2005 Ozzy infamously toured lip synching to a backtrack.

I haven't heard a full Ozzy solo album in many years, so "13" is the first studio album I have heard with Ozzy in a long time. As I said, its not that I would be surprised or doubt it. Just wondering if it was ever truly stated as fact as opposed to what may seem obvious.....

Anyhow, yeah, the whole "piped in" thing really drives me nuts, esp with many of the bigger power metal bands. I won't name any names, but there are many obvious ones that go overboard! Background effects run through a laptop is one thing, but when they literally out number the amount of live instruments in channels on the board, then that's getting ridiculous!

But yea, that would be a totally different thread topic.

anyhow, have I mentioned that I really dig "13"??? :devil:

Autotune is done in so much music these days...its like the industries dirty little secret.

Its so easy to do once you put your voice in a digital recording. And the thing is, you can basically do it from like .00001-100. You can do it to the point of it being an effect (Like T-Pain or where you sound like a robot) or you can clean up your voice to sound great using autotune and 100 percent not be able to tell.

I'd say "vocal cleaning" is done in MOST music these days, to varying degrees. Its not like they're in the production room and its a real moral decision to go or no-go on autotune. I'm sure Ozzy has not that much to do with production/mastering now anyways right?

If anyone has seen Ozzy live, you know he does not sound like he does on the albums any more.
Here's a link with a video.

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2013/08/11/ozzy-osbourne-black-sabbath-andrew-wk-review-philadelphia/

Back on topic....
Most of us said it earlier in the thread:
If you genuinely think "God Is Dead" or "TNT" are the best songs in the category, you havent given the others a fair shake.

Also, why not best metal album of the year? What the heck is metal performance?

Its not like they're in the production room and its a real moral decision to go or no-go on autotune.

I don't really agree with that. I've read interviews with a number of bands where they made the decision to have no autotune. Soilwork and Periphery immediately come to mind.

If you have 2 ears in ok working condition the autotune is evident. That said, 13 was the best of the nominated bunch.

Yeah, it's very clear that Ozzy is autotuned in 13.

I'll tell you what, I thought 13 was good, but to me (and it's just my personal taste), it wasn't the best of the bunch. Not the worst at all, but fell short in comparison to Dream Theater and Volbeat. I was hoping that the award would stay within these 3, so no complaints here. :)

its like, band goes into studio to and decides to do raw vocals. People complain because its not perfect

Band goes into studio and gets touched up like everyone else. People complain because it was autotuned.

just thought it was funny! I wish KSE won but hey, kudos to legends still winning!

Maybe next year they should do albums instead of just listing songs. I could agree with "13" being the best of the nominees, but I'm not sure I'd pick "God Is Dead?'.

Maybe next year they should do albums instead of just listing songs. I could agree with "13" being the best of the nominees, but I'm not sure I'd pick "God Is Dead?'.

It's surely not one of the best songs... It would be better if you'd cut 2 or 3 minutes to start with.