2016 Presidential Election

Yeah, he ran on a populist ticket in 2016, but he was never a populist candidate. He’s always put his business interests firsts and has used the office to expand his wallet at the cost of blue collar workers. But he knows exactly how to play his base, getting them riled up about “critical race theory” to distract them from the fact that he cares nothing about helping them financially.

Agreed. He's a world-class con-artist, little more. I think he has a genuine ideology on trade and immigration, but otherwise is just going with the motions. However, you would think he would at least do one populist bill before the election, if for no other reason than to maintain power.

I really can't keep up at this point.

Trump doesn't want to win.
Trump doesn't want to be president.
Trump wanted to win so bad he cheated + used Russian help to be president.
Trump doesn't care about his base.
Trump is senile.
Trump caters to his base, which is white nationalist.
Trump doesn't care about his base but knows devious psych stuff on how to rile them up.
Trump wants to be out of the white house.
Trump is ready to barricade himself in the white house.
Trump is a fascist person ready to use the military (which is fascist and white supremacist!) on US Citizens.
Trump hates the military and denigrates them!

Trump Derangement Syndrome. Can't even keep a story straight for 2 weeks at a time in some cases.

https://www.commondreams.org/views/...excited-about-rick-snyder-endorsing-joe-biden

Welp, Biden probably just threw Michigan in the trash by promoting the endorsement of former governor Rick Snyder, the criminal who poisoned the people of Flint, giving their kids brain damage and permanent damage that can be passed down to their offspring. He also destroyed their property value, by destroying all their pipes and making their houses impossible to sell. This also calls back to one of the most disgraceful moments of the Obama era, when he went to Flint and gaslit the people by pretending to drink the water, all to cover for Snyder.

anigif_enhanced-23340-1462395496-11.gif

Clinton lost Michigan by 10,000 votes and Biden seems determined to make sure that voters in Michigan are even more discouraged to come out in 2020.

Reactions: Dak and CiG
One of the best ways to draw attention away from your own fuck-ups and terrible disposition is to point at someone disliked by even more people than you and hope to go by unnoticed. I can't fault him for the tactic, but Biden should call him out instead of making himself look terrible all for the prize of losing Michigan.

Weird move. If you just blindly build a coalition based on opposing Trump, you will acquire some terrible bedfellows.

One of the best ways to draw attention away from your own fuck-ups and terrible disposition is to point at someone disliked by even more people than you and hope to go by unnoticed. I can't fault him for the tactic, but Biden should call him out instead of making himself look terrible all for the prize of losing Michigan.

Weird move. If you just blindly build a coalition based on opposing Trump, you will acquire some terrible bedfellows.

Neoliberals are obsessed with moderate Republicans and are willing to turn off as much of their base as possible to get them, math be damned.

Reactions: CiG
The other thing is, neoliberals and moderates appeal to older voters and by and large those are the ones who go out and vote. America has a real issue with voting, it's one of the few benefits we have here with our mandatory voting system, it more or less means what we get in results is representative of the population's desires.

Reactions: crimsonfloyd
Neoliberals are moderate Republicans. As far as visible politics go, America has no “radical left.” We barely even have a left. We have Sanders and AOC saying big businesses should pay more taxes; that’s left, but it ain’t radical.

Are you addressing something I said with that latter half?

I agree that moderate Republicans are neoliberals, but not all neoliberals are moderate Republicans.

Nah, I’m just chiming in. But I don’t think I get how you guys are defining your terms, and I feel like maybe this has come up before...?

When I hear “neoliberalism” I think of Reaganomics and apolitical markets, which tend to be features of Republican platforms.

If I did, it must have been out of confusion re. terminology. Obama, the Clintons, Biden, etc. are definitely neoliberals. But in this case, the "-liberal" quality doesn't describe what's typically meant when conservatives casually refer to "liberals"--by which they basically mean social progressives. The "-liberalism" of neoliberalism refers more specifically to the philosophical tradition of liberalism going back to thinkers like Locke, Hobbes, etc. I'm saying that, if we measure Obama, the Clintons, Biden, etc. according to a global/historical spectrum of political variation, they would qualify as moderate republicans, more or less.

It's only within America's skewed perception of politics that they're significantly left-ward of "moderate republican." That's what I meant when I said that neoliberals are moderate republicans.