4x12 Cab Shootout

I track with a Mesa 1x12 recto with a V30. I mic with an Audix i5 into a Studio Projects VTB1 tube mic pre into my EMU 1820M.

I get stellar results with that single cabinet. I have mic'd up 4x12 cabs here, and honestly I do not see the need! Unless your cab has different speakers in it, and you are dual micing and blending, and also using an ldc a bit back to pick up room, it is pointless to me to own a 4x12 for this reason. My 1x12 has so much bass I had to build a special box to put it on, and I also use the high pass at 70hz.. You just dont NEED or even WANT to capture all that fucking big low end of a 4x12.

Most Zep stuff was done on a single little Supro amp - that is saying a lot.

Matt Smith said:
OK here ya go guys. Obviously this test is totally unscientific. I tried to match levels by ear and get the mic positioning as consistent as possible, but of course it's not going to be perfect. It's definitely good enough to hear the different sound/character of all these cabinets, though.

Hey Matt! :wave:

Dude...too easy!

The small Mesa simply DOMINATES here. It's the classic "scooped" sound. The full shred tone of the Krank is complimented by the tight and controlled back wave and chunky "pumping" produced by the mini Mesa.

The Krank cab. Closed in and boxey. The nasal "cupped hands" tone makes the riff sound muted and weak. Of course, this is a relative comparison done after listening to the balls out blazing sound produced by the little Mesa. So we've been biased right up front.

The "big" Mesa? Boxey sounding like the Krank cab, but less so. Still not even CLOSE to being a match for the mini though.

With the 5150 it's a slightly different story.

The mini Mesa and the large Mesa are clearly better sounding than the Krank here. But which of the two Mesas to choose depends entirely on what kind of tone you are looking for.

The small Mesa sings with an open quality that truly creates a "wall of sound" effect. It's phenomenal sounding to be honest and would be overwhelming all by itself as a primary rhythm track.

But the "big" Mesa tightens up the bottom end a LOT and imparts a punch to the sound that the small Mesa just doesn't have.

With careful mike placement and attention to phasing, the 5150 through both the small and large Mesa cabs would make for a KILLER blended rhythm sound.

I'm curious bro. What mike was used here and at what distance? And is the signal processed in ANY way or is it just the dry miked signal direct to the recorder?

Here's my thoughts...

I definitely want to get a Mesa Traditional cab for my 5150. Your clip proves why. By far the best of the bunch. I'm currently using a Line 6 Vetta cabinet with my 5150 (odd, I know.)

I think the Krank head and cabinet are both pretty lame sounding compared to the 5150 and the Mesa cabinets. The Mesa Standard cab is just too much thunder for anyone. Not my bag, but not terrible either.

Matt Smith said:
Yeah, I definitely took the grille off immediately before miking.

OK here ya go guys. Obviously this test is totally unscientific. I tried to match levels by ear and get the mic positioning as consistent as possible, but of course it's not going to be perfect. It's definitely good enough to hear the different sound/character of all these cabinets, though.
Forgive me for the sloppy performance of this Nevermore riff; again, I didn't have the time to get everything perfect. Both Mesa cabs sound pretty good (though I prefer the smaller one), but I still think the Krank cab sounds terrible on these clips.

Krank Revolution:
Mesa Traditional (Smaller)

Krank Cabinet

Mesa Standard (Oversized)

Peavey 5150:

Krank Cabinet

Holy shit does that Krank cabinet sound like total dog shit with both heads. That's exactly how those pieces of shit sounded at Ozzfest this weekend, every band that played them sounded horrible, like a swarm of bees. So harsh and brittle. These amps need to just go away, they're ruining metal. I liked the oversized Mesa cab clips the best, but that 5150 sounds nothing like a 5150 IMO. I think you have too much treble and presence in all of those clips.

I acually think that the Mesa Standard sounded the best on both amps,it sounds heavy and clear,the Mesa traditional sounded to bright for my taste, but still great compeared to the Krank cabbinet, i don't like the sound of that cabbinet on any of those clips.I think you also should have recorded a Marshall cabbinet, but i guess that's to late now.

Weird, I thought that 5150 clip was quite present in the mids myself (especially through the traditional cab). Reminded me a lot of Evergrey's "In Search of Truth" tone.

Don: wassup!!
I agree totally with your assessment. ;)
Nope, no processing at all, just a 57 as usual. Can't beat it.

Cool clips, Matt. The traditional Mesa definitely takes the cake. The Krank cab sounds pretty cool to me. I, too, agree that the two together would probably sound huge for recording. Also, the Revolution head sounded better than the 5150.

Matt Smith said:
Weird, I thought that 5150 clip was quite present in the mids myself (especially through the traditional cab). Reminded me a lot of Evergrey's "In Search of Truth" tone.

Absolutely dude. That tone just SLAYS! Try mixing that with the Krank through the same cab. Layer the two takes. Then double track it. MONSTER rhythm sound!

Don: wassup!! I agree totally with your assessment. ;) Nope, no processing at all, just a 57 as usual. Can't beat it.

No WAY bro! Just an SM-57? Excellent! Just THINK what it would sound like through THIS!

Can't WAIT to hear the new disc bro! HURRY! :D

Matt Smith said:

Forgive me for the sloppy performance of this Nevermore riff; again, I didn't have the time to get everything perfect. Both Mesa cabs sound pretty good (though I prefer the smaller one), but I still think the Krank cab sounds terrible on these clips.

Krank Revolution:

Krank Cabinet

Peavey 5150:

Krank Cabinet

Wow, how did you get that character from the 5150? I just bought one some months ago and i don't seem to get the sound i want. What kind of tubes are you using? I also seem to hav ea problem, the volume increases from time to time on the amp when i play, but only sometimes. Is it my tubes that are fading on me or what. I would appreciate the help! I´m using a 4x12 Laney cabinet with celestions by the way with SM57's.

Matt Smith said:

Don: wassup!!
I agree totally with your assessment. ;)
Nope, no processing at all, just a 57 as usual. Can't beat it.

Dude, nice tone, but i think that you'd be a bit closer to the Evergrey tone with a little bit less pressence, a tiny bit less highs and and equally small amount more mids...not that i own the amp/cab or anything.

Evergrey and this forum are gona make me poor when i get a 5150...whenever that is.

Daniel\m/

my favourite is the revolution thru the smaller mesa cab, sounds fanstastic :headbang:

oh- maybe the krank cabs aren't the best compared to the mesa's but man krank dissing is old :erk:

nice work matt, very interesting.

Matt Smith said:

Krank Revolution:

Krank Cabinet

Peavey 5150:

Krank Cabinet

Wow, to me the Mesa oversized sounded the best of the lot in these clips. The smaller cabinet just sounded buzzy and harsh. It's more of a chainsaw type sound whereas the oversized cab seemed to have a bit more girth behind it.

The Krank cab on the other hand, blows.

I agree with the others who think the oversized Mesa sounds the best on both clips.Btw you did a great job recording those clips!

I think the oversized Mesa would add a nice depth to a mix, but the deal with the slant cab is that the guitars have enough presence to be heard above everything, so I think in the end for thrashy/melo-death stuff it'd be my choice.

Yeah I agree, the traditional cab sounded closer to what I would end up filtering it to sound like in a mix anyway--controlled low end, nice presence, etc. Maybe a tad too much high end/presence on some of those clips, but you have to understand how fast I did it--I'm talking probably 30 seconds of setup time on each.

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. And thanks for the Harmony Central link--that place is always great for a laugh! It's like being back in 6th grade again...

Hmm, to me the oversized cab sounded way best - not so fizzy... Someone said it before me....I would definately buy the oversized mesa...wait, I've already done that...phew I'm glad I "blindtested" this one!!!!!