I need a new 4x12 cab, wich one?

blackcom

Oct 5, 2003
So, I guess I need to get new 4x12 cab.
I like those with an agressive "sizzle" on top, don't like dark/muddy sounding ones, like Mesa, Engl...

Any starter tips? Marshall, Marshall Vintage, Randall, Peavey...?

Marshall are a pretty good deal if you can get a used one, i think $749 is A LOT to pay for a new one with gt-75's (and it's like $100-150 more if you want vintage 30's!) they're generally $300-400 used (i scored mine for $250 with a bad speaker that cost me $75 to replace...so i still came out alright)

Mesa are as top notch as they come, but again $849 new is pretty steep...but their construction is far superior to marshall's so you do get a better cab for the cash...sometimes you can find them used in the $500-600 range

I really like the new randall cabs with vintage 30's, the XL cab i tried with my cobra really sounded good...they've recently upped their prices as well, but if you shop you can find some killer used deals; these are very similar in sound and quality to the mesa cabs

might wanna check out splawn cabs too ( www.splawnguitars.com ) $699 for a new cab with your choice of eminence, $799 for your choice of celestions...your choice of tolex, and grille cloth...they're not cheap, but they're built like tanks and sound killer (i chose mine over a bogner uberkab, partially due to the price, but i don't regret it a bit)

Rivera, Orange, and Bogner have some really great sounding cabs (i think pretty much anyone would agree) but they are pricey

So what's the basic deal with the Vintage 30 watts as opposed to 75/80 watts speakers?

How do they differ in bottom, mid and top? I really like a tight crispy messhuggah-distortion...

the vintage 30 (which is a 60w speaker btw) is a nice and thick sounding speaker, with a lot of mids, a good low end grind, and pretty warm sounding (the eminence governer sounds very simlar @ 75w)

the gt75 (75w of course) is slightly thinner sounding, not a whole lot of midrange, but it's tight and perhaps "crispy" sounding lows, and a pretty bright high end (the eminence equal here is the 75w manowar)

some people (like myself) prefer two of each, so you can get a fairly thick/warm and tight/clear sound...this comes in extra handy when recording, because you can mic either speaker on it's own, or both speakers together

So the V30 is a littel moore "dark" you say? I saw on the Randall Website that all Randall cabs have v30, and as Pantera allways had a super-bright guitars sound i'm getting a littel confused here....they EQ well or something?

blackcom said:
So the V30 is a littel moore "dark" you say? I saw on the Randall Website that all Randall cabs have v30, and as Pantera allways had a super-bright guitars sound i'm getting a littel confused here....they EQ well or something?

Dimebag with pantera used a solidstate amp, so that's why his tone was bright. Vintage 30's can't make a solidstate amp sound as a tube one.

Maurizio

blackcom said:

randall (to my knowledge) didn't really start using v30's untill here kinda recently...i know that near the end of his time with randall, dime was using stock randall warhead cabs (don't remember exactly what's in them) and i'm really not certain what cab he used prior to that

blackcom said:
So what's the basic deal with the Vintage 30 watts as opposed to 75/80 watts speakers?

How do they differ in bottom, mid and top? I really like a tight crispy messhuggah-distortion...

V30s have a lot of midrange, which is generally good for metal, but for the sound it sounds like you want, the T75s would be the way to go. Meshuggah (before they started using Line6 gear) generally played Mesa amps through Marshall 1960 cabs, which were loaded with T75s.

Ever heard of the Celestion C12 Element. It's on a lot of JCM 800 Lead Cabinets, they sound really good, but they getting old.....