5.1 mix of reveries

Seikojin

Delver of time
Nov 11, 2005
I was wondering if this will open discussion for other albums to be re-released in 5.1. It would be nice to get 5.1 versions of their songs before ghost reveries.

Has anyone seen/found anything about it?

I'm currently studying sound-engineering and acoustics and such. We have had some discussion weither 5.1 really adds anything to music. To games and movies, sure, it adds atmosphere, but the only thing to really put in rear speakes when it comes to music would be a sort of room sound. Having the solo or floor-tom pop up behind your back really is nothing but goofy.

..and I know nothing 'bout a Reveries 5.1

L0bster said:
I'm currently studying sound-engineering and acoustics and such. We have had some discussion weither 5.1 really adds anything to music. To games and movies, sure, it adds atmosphere, but the only thing to really put in rear speakes when it comes to music would be a sort of room sound. Having the solo or floor-tom pop up behind your back really is nothing but goofy.

Yeh its sort of liek when Stereo first came out i guess but i think with so many layers of guitars on SL that it would be good if they when in the right direction with it. There is lots of things you can do for a 5.1 mix for music especially music like Opeth and music that is in depth.

The effect of any surround is totally lost if you don't have your speakers angled properly and you don't sit in the hot spot.

I see so many people bitch and complain that it's no better than stereo, meanwhile their speakers are set up totally wrong and they're not even sitting in the proper position. Stupid!

My apologies if that doesn't apply to you. I just felt the terrible urge to say it.

I like being enveloped in a sound environment. That is easier to achieve with 5.1. I really don't understand the detractors of 5.1... i mean if you're going to go as far as saying directionality is silly in music, why have we wasted any time with stereo? what advantage does stereo have? This is a legitimate question. I can't see how, if stereo has an advantage over mono, then why 5.1 doesn't have an advantage over stereo.

Because it's so goddamn hard to even find place for two speakers instead to even have fucking five or six speakers. Quality of speakers is far more important than number of speakers! You got that?

Mumblefood said:
I like being enveloped in a sound environment. That is easier to achieve with 5.1. I really don't understand the detractors of 5.1... i mean if you're going to go as far as saying directionality is silly in music, why have we wasted any time with stereo? what advantage does stereo have? This is a legitimate question. I can't see how, if stereo has an advantage over mono, then why 5.1 doesn't have an advantage over stereo.
well put

leprecon said:
Because it's so goddamn hard to even find place for two speakers instead to even have fucking five or six speakers. Quality of speakers is far more important than number of speakers! You got that?

Well, i'm sorry your house is small :)

I've done both, and i have money. I've spent time doing different things with stereo and 5.1, and even 7.1. I could be a complete moron, but i much prefer the sound of 5.1 because the sound changes from being simply "sound comming from speakers" to actually creating a very immersive sound environment. Of course, that may not be important for some kinds of music, but i promise you if you heard certain things where creation of a mood and a feeling of being somewhere else in a 5.1 environment versus a stereo, you'd be sold on it. It just so happens Opeth has some of these "atmospheric" elements, and thus i think a 5.1 mix of their albums is something that WOULD be well worth hearing.

Besides that, i agree with you. Quality is more important. But if i had a choice of spending 10000 bucks on 2 speakers, or 10000 bucks on a 5.1 setup, it'd go for the latter (and in fact, i did just that). much more rewarding.

L0bster said:

Well I think that's kinda dumb. In that case room ambiance doesn't mean anything either. Who cares if something is perceived as coming from behind you anyways? I mean we only hear what's in front of us right?....:rolleyes:

biggsy said:
The deluxe edition is in 5.1.

Well, just for accuracy...Actually it is both...
The cd (disc 1) is GR in Stereo.
The dvd (disc 2) is GR in 5.1)

I mean, you don't HAVE to have a 5.1 system to enjoy the new edition, and that is a good thing, imo.

a really cool thing, is that it'll sound alot clearer than the stereo version.

i imagine the 5.1 mix will be in 96khz, it'll sound afucklot better. And if it's mixed properly it'll sound monstrous.
It'll be like being INSIDE the music! maybe. mikaels growls coming from all around you instead of your right in front.

but i've heard some really bad 5.1 mixes aswell, so let's hope it's done right.