5 Albums you couldnt live without....

Apocalyptic

New Metal Member
Mar 2, 2002
first door on left
www.deoxy.org
just wondering what your top 5 favorite albums of all time were. Yeah, i know thats impossible to say. so you can say your top 10 if youd like.
in no real order

Ulver - Perdition City
Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
King Crimson - Red
Opeth - Still Life
Napalm Death - ANY
Dvorak - 7th Symphony in D Minor
Gentle Giant - Octopus
Suffocation - Pierced from Within
Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale
Vivaldi and Bach Concertos (i love violins and harpsichords)

theres more i could say, but insted of filling the list with albums from the same 3 bands i just picked my current favorite from them. Edge of Sanity - Crimson could be going up there, but i got it a couple days ago so its hard to tell. Nightingale - The Closing Chronicle could be another future possiblity, since Dan Swanos singing voice is one of the nicest ive ever heard

hmm.... tough call.... I remember a thread similar to this a ways back that said something like "if your house was on fire which 5 cds would you grab as you ran for your life..." So I will go with these:

Dan Swano - Moontower
Edge of Sanity – Crimson
Fields of the Nephilim (my favorite band) – Elizium & Nefilim
Nightingale - I
Nightingale - Alive Again pre-master (?) cdr from Dan
Type O Negative - October Rust
My Dying Bride – The Dreadful Hours
Anathema – Silent Enigma
Morgion – Solinari
Tiamat – Wildhoney
Paradise Lost – Draconian Times
Emperor – Anthems to the Welken at Dusk
Opeth – Still Life

woah, thats 14.... oh well.

hmmmm...

ocean machine-biomech
samael-eternal
katatonia-last fair deal gone down
sentenced-frozen
nightingale-closing chronicles
in flames-jester race
dredg-el cielo
sunny day real estate-rising tide
anathema-judgement
pelvic meatloaf-the key
faith no more-angel dust
gardenian-sindustries

i over did it...oh well

Request_denieD

hmm
Nightingale - Closing Chronicles - I
Dan Swano - Moontower
Edge Of Sanity - Crimson
Bloodbath - Breeding Death
Gordian Knot - I and II
Viper - Theatre Of Fate
Unicorn - Ever Since
King Diamond - Abigail 1987 in Concert

hahaha there's lots more but i would live in a solitary island with those albums :)

Metallica - Master of Puppets
Metallica - And Justice For All
Opeth - Morningrise
In Flames - Whoracle
Opeth - Orchid

Bloodbath - Resurrection Through Carnage
Thyrfing - Urkraft
Children Of Bodom - Hate Crew Deathroll
Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
Dark Tranquillity - The Mind's I

can't live without them

Marillion - Seasons End
Spocks Beard - The Kindness of Strangers
Giant - Last of the runaways/Time To Burn
Genesis - Selling England by the Pound
Rush - Hold Your Fire

coming up...Dare - Out of the Silence

Originally posted by mattcira
hmm.... tough call.... I remember a thread similar to this a ways back that said something like "if your house was on fire which 5 cds would you grab as you ran for your life..." So I will go with these:
hmmm, does that mean that if you had some friends over, you could order them to salvage the rest of your cd collection? :lol: yeah, i admit it, i don´t do well with limitations of any kind, what a greedy git i am :)

well, i never really manage to fill out such topsomething lists properly..
but i would have to have something Swanö, something Opeth, something irish, something classical and something with a mix of various songs i adore. my 5 something top list would roughly be something close to that, i think. but i would like to throw in Diabolical Masquerade's Death's design in that list as well, just because i only just got it and it´s the perfect cd to drive to :)

Originally posted by Apocalyptic
Vivaldi and Bach Concertos (i love violins and harpsichords)
yeah, so do i! I´d have to borrow yours when my cds would get all burned down in that fire Matt threatened to start, leaving me with mere 5 ;)

Originally posted by mattcira
Tiamat – Wildhoney
oh, "Do you dream of me" is such a marvelous song, it always makes me smile and nod my head to it gently. yes, even though i´ve been told numerous times what a sad song it really is, i just can´t help it, it´s such an uplifting cheery song to me :lol:

Originally posted by Dan Swanö
Spocks Beard - The Kindness of Strangers

..that reminds me of that playthingie.. "A streetcar named desire" i think. Well, it *actually* reminds me of a simpson's show where marge plays a part in that playthingie. I wonder if it's the same song :p (ok, i don´t really, since it's a cd.. but.. it could be the title song)

hehe, yeah, it´s simplest to ignore me, i´m hellishly sleepy and in that ol' babble moodie :lol:

heh i saw some interesting answers. Syndrome, is the new COB album really that good? COB used to be my all time favorite band a couple years ago with Hatebreeder, but im not as much into them now. Dan, have you heard about Neal Morse of SB quiting all of his musical projects to dedicate his life to god or something? heh i found that rather interesting. But yeah i forgot to add Flower Kings - Flower Power. thats a damn good cd, and its usually only about $13 and its a 2 cd, and each cd is 70 minutes long, so its a very good deal. Theres tons of cds i forgot about actually. Yes-Relayer, Blind Guardian - Nightfall..., and tons of 70s progrock bands. anyone know of Birth Control?!?! go get their cd Backdoor Possiblities. id say its in the group of "the best cds youve never heard". Gleemonex, heh sure man you can borrow my cds. Bach's harpsichord concerto BWV 1062 (in C minor) is one of my favorites of all, especially the 3rd movement. And of course i also forgot King Diamond! I supposed id say Abigail, but Fatal Portrait or Them would do also. FP was my first KD album i got years and years ago so i have a passion for that one. Its strange how The Lake originaly wasnt going to be on it, and thats one of my favorite KD tracks. Abigail Live is good to, though his voice in Come to the Sabbath is a little shakey in the beginnging. anyways, yeah, peace!

Originally posted by Apocalyptic
heh i saw some interesting answers. Syndrome, is the new COB album really that good? COB used to be my all time favorite band a couple years ago with Hatebreeder, but im not as much into them now.

I am not Syndrome, but anyhow ;) I think HCDR is extremely good! But I can`t describe it in detail yet, since I "only" listen to it for kinda one week now, and that is not enough... In any case it is a heavier and faster album than "Follow The Reaper". In the beginning, you can hear new stuff, but the latter tracks contain good old singalong - choirs and guitar-duels :)

And my favours (at the moment - sorry, that changes every few months a little bit, so I can`t make a forever valid list - read: the true list would contain some 50 names ;)

Dan Swanö - Moontower
Charon - Tearstained
Children Of Bodom - Hate Crew Deathroll
Nightwish - Wishmaster
Dave Lindholm - Lähes 50
In Flames - Reroute To Remain
oomph! - Plastik
Kent - Vapen & Ammunition
Ensiferum - Ensiferum
Sentenced - The Cold White Light
Velcra - Consequences Of Disobedience

Edge Of Sanity- Crimson
Edge Of Sanity- Pugatory Afterglow
Nightingale-Breathing Shadow
Nightingale-Alive Again
Bloodbath- Resurrection Through Carnage
Bloodbath- Breeding Death
Amorphis- Tuonela
Opeth-My Arms, Your Hearse
Opeth-Orchid

Wow, that was over five,but those are my favorites....

I can´t count either so here´s more than five :)

Genesis - The lamb lies down on brodway
Deep Purple - Burn
10 CC - Sheet Music
Godley & Creme - L
Rainbow - Rising
Gentle Giant - Octopus
Kansas - Leftoverture
Zappa -Overnite sensation
Black Sabbath - Sabotage
Styx - Equinox

As of right now...

Nightingale - Alive Again
Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse
Edge Of Sanity - Crimson
Bloodbath - Resurrection Through Carnage
Ocean Machine - Biomech
Hypocrisy - Into The Abyss
Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down
Darkthrone - A Blaze In The Northern Sky
Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
Dark Funeral - Dark Funeral EP
The Cure - Bloodflowers
2 Skinnee J's - Supermercado
Avantasia - The Metal Opera parts I/II
Immortal - Sons of Northern Darkness

(dammit, I knew I would go over the limit!)

...If you'd have asked me 15 years ago....

Bad Brains - I Against I
Minor Threat - Out Of Step EP
Exploited - Troops Of Tomorrow
The Cure - Disintegration
Echo & The Bunnymen - Songs To Learn & Sing
Siouxsie & The Banshees - Tinderbox
Danzig - Danzig
Metallica - Master Of Puppets
GBH - City Baby's Revenge
Suicidal Tendencies - s/t

... it's all relative. Don't ask me how I got from there to here.

;)

alien sex fiend - acid bath
opeth - all albuns
cocteau twins - treasure
duran duran - a compilation made by me
gorefest - soul survivor and chapter 13
maudlin of the well - all albuns
classical music - a compilation made by me

it's too hard to point out only five or more...