64 bit

RichS

none
May 19, 2008
Is moving from 32 to 64 bit a huge difference? Is it worth the money involved to upgrade?

Thank you

FWIW, I run Logic Studio on a 64-bit Mac, and because most of my (and i'd assume yours) plug-ins are 32-bit mode plugins, I find that running Logic in 64-bit mode (you can choose to run it in either 32 or 64) is actually a bit slower because of the 32-bit plug-in bridge application that has to run side by side with Logic. Additionally, Logic never crashed on me before I flipped the 64-bit mode switch, and now it is very temperamental. In fact, now that I'm writing this, I'll probably be switching back to 32-bit mode as soon as I get home.

Don't wanna hijack the thread but I also have couple of questions about moving to 64-bit since I want to use more memory that 3 Gb.

1. If I use Win 7 64 bit and 64 bit DAW, will my 32-bit-only plugins work?
2. Any other advantages than the memory limit thing will be gone? Any disadvantages?

Thanks!

Your 32 bit plug-ins will still work, but you will need a bridge for it to happen. And that seems to be where most of the problems pop up. Currently I am trying to move to only 64 bit plug ins as I am sick of repeated crashes that the error reporter indicates stem from bitbridge. Despite all of the hassles, having the extra ram to use is very nice. Worth it in the end just a headache sometimes.

1 : depends on your DAW, some of them have a built-in bridge (making the possibility to use a 32bit plugin in a 64bit DAW), some not and then you'd have to use a 3rd party software, though I can't certify any of this since i'm using Reaper who bridges a very stable way. A big drawback at least in reaper is that bridged plugins have sometimes a laggy UI, and also the bridge application make their window "out" of reaper, if ever you see what I mean. In the case of reaper, bridging works 100% perfectly, it's just the UI sometimes has some delay (for example in this case it's harder to see VU meters in some plugins). I don't know if this happens with other bridging apps.

2 : in my use as an enlighted hobbyist, I see no other advantage. Certain specific uses could benefit from it more, but I don't know them. Imo, it's only worth it if you really really need more than those 3 or 3.25 Gb of RAM. I'm gonna switch back to using reaper 32 bit because I don't need this even if in a big project because I print most of things anyway, and also cause reaper allows running any plugin as a dedicated process (with its own 3Gb allocated RAM) transparently, which will suffice for my own needs, without the tiny annoyance of plugin bridging.

learn to save your projects after every change... Like I said, it turned my DAW into crash city (which I would totally attribute to the bit-bridge)

Sonar has been pretty stable for me since they got to X1c with the latest round of fixes. Until it got to that point it was months of crashes and annoyance..so make sure everything is up to date and backed up first. And make sure that you have the most recent updates for both Sonar and the pro channel modules, if you have bought them. Good luck!

I seriously recommend sticking with a 32bit DAW for now. Moving to 64 bit Sonar has been and still is an absolute fucking nightmare. Very few plugins have 64bit versions and the 32->64bit wrappers are extremely unstable on many plugins, if they work at all. I'm considering downgrading back to 32bit Sonar..

Thanks guys for the advice. I think I will stick with 32 bit until things get more stable.

Guys, I experimented some sound improvement between 32 and 64 bit plugins. I know some of you may tell that it isn't right. A good example that I saw was a comparision between Brainworx' free Cleansweep 32 bits vs. the new 64 bits one. It is clearer how much better the 64 bit version sounds.

What do you think?

64-bit Reaper works wonderfully for me. The built in bridging works on most everything. I use JBridge for the occasional plugin that gives me trouble.