7-String Pickups:

DURBANS

Feb 2, 2005
Hi

I was searching around for the EMG 707 pup, and found out it was not a direct replacement, meaning, needing to root the guitar, right? So I kinda got it out of my wish list.

Now, I've come to 2 brands, Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio.

I wanna know, between the Seymour Duncan SH-6 (Duncan Distortion) for 7 string, the Evolution-7 from DiMarzio and the Blaze from DiMarzio as well.

Which of the 3 is the HOTTEST one? I was reading the specs for each and problem is that on the SD website it doesn't say the amount of output in a readeable format, while on DiMarzio's it says 420 for the Evo and 320 for the Blaze. BUT, what's common is DC resistance, dunno what it means, is that the "loudness" factor?

Help!

Man, you have a huge wish list. Why don't you go to the manufacturer's website and read the specs again (carefully)? Or maybe utilize the wonderful Google search engine? Do you ever even buy the stuff you ask about all the time? Not trying to be a kak, but it's kinda annoying.

I played an Ibanez rg7420 with seymour duncan jb-7/jazz-7 last week, they're awesome and very versatile and good sounding! I read the Distortion has a lot fo bottom end, so if you play dm, it must be good for you. Try looking into the Invader, as it has a lot more dynamics and definition. I'm not sure if exists a 7 string version of the SD Invader tho...

well I've played/owned the dimarzio blaze and evo pups and also the 707 and jb7, out of those I would get the jb7 and 707 (in that order)

the jb has the sweetest midrange and is just really well balanced (in my mahogany 7 string anyway)

the 707 is also really sweet, just more compressed, slightly tighter, and hotter than the jb7.

can't really go wrong with the 707 for metal, or the jb for metal/hard rock.

Seems like brett new name is Clara :p
gal_sexy.jpg

Good to hear favourable reviews of the EMG 707. I was checking out the Schecter C-7 Hellraiser and might consider making that my new axe... it comes stock with 2 707's so it's reassuring to hear they're good.

But one question, since the guitar is almost all mahogany, will a passive pickup like the JB give a sweeter, more naturally resonant tone as opposed to the EMG (which I heard sort of bypass the natural sound of the guitar and just add their own 'generic' tone)?

707's are definately hotter than the jb, and have that very distinctive emg sound, although imo they sound a lot fuller and more natural than the 81.

having said that the jb sounds more natural than any emg I've played, and it all comes down to personal preference, jb7 has less lows, less saturation, and is slightly brighter than a 707 (which works well in mahogany)

ot- by the way moonlapse what's the scene like in melbourne? for metal and production, a friend and I are coming over in a couple of weeks, and I plan on moving there at the end of the year.

we should organize a sneap drinkathon, oh and try out some engl's :headbang:

Invaders have really high output but they're quite dark- and can get muddy easily in the wrong guitar. The DiMarzio x2n is the hottest passive on the market I think- though that's... ridiculously high output. I don't think there's even a need for that.

DURBANS said:
So, between the passive ones, my guess is the INVADER is the loudest right?

I would strongly consider the Invader.. I have both the Invader and the 707, and have swapped them between 2 guitars to get a better judgement... I like the Invader better all around. But it basically comes down to the sound you want.