8 string guitar

The Stormbringer said:
That thing has to be near-unplayable... :ill:

i think its made for the two handed tapping technique you see these guys using on the double neck guitars these days. play guitar with the right play bass with the left. or you could just put your whole arm on on the neck to play it like a regular guitar. might be kind of hard to shred on it.

Vital Remains said:
How about a nine string? rusty cooly has one i think. the frets look all wierd and diagonal. But fuck it id play it.

Rusty Cooley has an 8-string guitar, not a 9 string... the brand of the guitar he's using is a Conklin... yes, and the fret-board is done this way on purpose... it's called Fanned-Frets... they seem to offer greater fluidity and control over the fretboard... eventhough they look really weird as you said !! plus Rusty also uses 7 string guitars... mainly Jackson and Ibanez 7-stringers

How about a 56 string guitar? It definitely doesn't exist, and probably won't exist anytime within the next few thousand years, but still! How cool would it be!?!?!?!?

Vital Remains said:
I wouldnt mind having an eight string. my hands a pretty big so i can handle my seven string pretty well. a six string feels like a midget guitar when i pick one up now.
How about a nine string? rusty cooly has one i think. the frets look all wierd and diagonal. But fuck it id play it.
My next step. Yes, I'm getting a nine after I play the eight for, I don't know, 1 year or so? It seems as though the more strings there are, the more challenges it gives me. But that's 2 years from now maybe, and plus the cheapest nine's I can find are Conklin's they are around 4500$ for the cheapest. I personally don't like the curved frets either, because I think they make the guitar look ugly.

My hands are so fucking fat I can play leads on a 12 string that sound clearer than the ones I play on a conventional guitar-LOL.

I guess you're not alone Tubbs.;)

you want a challenge?

my.php

and
http://xs.to/xs.php?f=12string.jpg&h=xs61&d=05522
or how about these?
http://www.organicdesign.org/peterson/guitars/

and Rusty Cooley DID have a 9 string guitar, check it out

http://www.conklinguitars.com/cherished.html

its the black sidewinder. However, he ended up selling it on ebay, I dont know why, but im guessing he figured that 9 strings is a bit pointless, and god knows if his amps could even handle it..

and fanned frets do not offer greater fluidity and control over the fretboard, all it is, is a dual scale length, on the bottom end is a les paul length (i think 25.5") and the top end is a strat (24" something) length. its to provide even string tension over the board.

http://www.novaxguitars.com/Pages/generalinfo_frame.html

my question is I wonder how many people that want an 8 string let alone a nine have any need for it other to say...hey I have 8 strings. Kind of how 7 strings were designed with Via, an amazing guitarist but then made famous by bands like Korn, limp Bizkit and Linkin Park who were lucky if they used more than 3 strings in 1 song. Like Dino from Fear Factory just got an Ibanez 8 string..? why? chug chug...chug...chug chug. it makes no sense to me. Basically if you cant RIP on a 6 string why would you need to extend you range? Master the basics....Rusty Cooly deserves an 8 string, he erned it.

Okay. You got me. (To RobbM) There is NO way in hell I can play one of those! The double fretted guitar is really unique, too... I could probably get used to 11 or 12 strings with a shatload of practice.

EDIT: (To 27frets) also, the reason I want an 8 is for more notes... simple as that. I can handle it.

if you want a challenge without spending a lot of money, get a fret puller and some wood filler and some sandpaper, and pull all the frets off your guitar, fill in with filler, sand, and then enjoy a nice fretless guitar...and wow, all that for like $30 and some elbow grease...

I believe it was Jaco Pastorius who said that frets were nothing more than speedbumps to slow ya down..

I'm beginning to think that people make guitars just to say to people "You can't play my guitar, bitch!"