80s pop/rock

Thanks for all the help guys and gals, you reminded me of some good stuff, and I will track some of the stuff I haven't heard of down. :)

I actually think 'The Breakfast Club' is a bit overated. I still think its great, but people hail it as the definative 80s teen movie, and I don't see why it is so much better than other great ones. Still rocks though. :)

Rick Astley = :puke:

1988 was the worst year for pop music just about ever. Oh dear, that was a bad year. Set records for the sheer volume of appalling songs to be released.

I didn't even grow up with the movie! It came out a year before I was born!

I'm just so totally engrossed in the 80s that I feel like I was there!

I sort of know what you mean. I was a teen of the ninties as well, but I think I have more of a connection with the 80s. I think the influence from my older siblings was very strong. None of them were into metal or anything, but the films and alot of the pop/rock music talked about in this thread.

80s! :headbang:

Pffft. Chillun's. I was a child of the 80's and I don't think I've even seen the Breakfast Club, or Pretty In Pink, or St Elmo's Fire, or any of those, and I'm not even sure Pretty In Pink or St Elmo's Fire are the same sort of film as the Breakfast Club was. Are they?

Actaully, I may have seem The Breakfast Club once, now I think about it. Is that the one where they're all in detention?

The '90s was the most boring decade. Everything was so much better in the '80s, music, movies, TV, everything!

Anyway, to the topic.... here are a select few from me, these are all more along the lines of your VH/Europe/Dokken inclusions, more light hard rock than pop. Each of these songs is a MUST HAVE though!

Van Halen - Dreams
Bad English - Heaven Is A Four Letter Word
Stan Bush - The Touch
Roxus - Body Heat
Vandenberg - No Easy Way Out

These two are early '90s (I think 1991 and 1990), who cares though... they still sound '80s (especially Harem Scarem) and they are awesome:

Harem Scarem - Hard To Love
Tyketto - Forever Young

Finally, if you want some stuff with female vocals, check out these great songs:

Vixen - Edge Of A Broken Heart
Vixen - Love Is A Killer
Lee Aaron - Tough Girls Don't Cry

!:headbang:

Shit Trentos, I had no idea you liked the 80s. I was sure you were a 90s man. God I think of all the times I tried to get you to listen to 80s music, and you always replied "nah fuck that old shit, I'm a new-jack motherfucker".

It just goes to show, sometimes people really can surprise you. Next someone will tell me Spawny likes Iced Earth. Pah - as if!

Blitz, you need "To Cut A Long Story Short" by Spandau Ballet, "Far Side of Crazy" by Wall of Voodoo, "All You Zombies" by The Hooters and of course "Stutter Rap" by Morris Minor and The Majors.

Also grab anything by The Smiths (I'd recommend starting with "This Charming Man" and "How Soon is Now?") but they're far too good to throw in with my other suggestions above. Buy a best of instead :).

If it's 80s Queen related stuff you're after, don't miss the late Mr Mercury's cover of "The Great Pretender". 1987 wasn't it Bev?

W

Ooh! I forgot "Talkin' Bout A Revolution" by Tracy Chapman and "Nothing Ever Happens" by Del Amitri. I always sing along to both of those on the radio.

Gore, I must say I'm surprised. I thought someone who described himself as "Metal as fuck" would beat me up for even mentioning The Smiths on a Maiden BB, much less recommending them :lol:.

W