A Bit Of Luck...

Oct 26, 2002
RainbowLand
www.youtube.com
I went to my local record store looking for some good stuff. Lately they haven't been restocking their metal albums and I've found the two CD's that I've wanted (the Katatonia and Dark Tranquillity compilations) at, believe it or not, SAM GOODY!!! :D

So I wasn't really expecting much. But I came out with extremely good luck. I found Bathory's TWILIGHT OF THE GODS, a Cathedral EP, and, best of all...\

A November's Doom CD...Of Sculptured Ivy and Stone Flowers.

It was one of those times where when I saw the CD, I just grabbed it from instinct. Luckily I got all three CD's for under $40.

I will take a listen to the CD and give a review, but from my last two CD's, I'm pretty sure I will enjoy this immensely. THE KNOWING is all I need...

Overlord Purple Rainbow said:
I went to my local record store looking for some good stuff. Lately they haven't been restocking their metal albums and I've found the two CD's that I've wanted (the Katatonia and Dark Tranquillity compilations) at, believe it or not, SAM GOODY!!! :D

So I wasn't really expecting much. But I came out with extremely good luck. I found Bathory's TWILIGHT OF THE GODS, a Cathedral EP, and, best of all...\

A November's Doom CD...Of Sculptured Ivy and Stone Flowers.

It was one of those times where when I saw the CD, I just grabbed it from instinct. Luckily I got all three CD's for under $40.

I will take a listen to the CD and give a review, but from my last two CD's, I'm pretty sure I will enjoy this immensely. THE KNOWING is all I need...

Get The Knowing from our website, or from Dark Symphonies, and hurry. There's not many left, and I dont know the plan of Dark Symphonies for that CD. It seems most bands no longer on the label get put into "out of print."

You know you guys are better than My Dying Bride, don't you?:D :worship:

I think MDB and ND are completely different kinds of bands, regardless of what some seem to think. And MDB are a great band with a career that speaks for itself. We've always been friendly with them and respected them, and never really considered ourselves competitive with them at all. But thanks for the compliment nonetheless!

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
I think MDB and ND are completely different kinds of bands, regardless of what some seem to think. And MDB are a great band with a career that speaks for itself. We've always been friendly with them and respected them, and never really considered ourselves competitive with them at all. But thanks for the compliment nonetheless!
lol awesomely democratic way to handle that larbear

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
Yeah, they are great. Made the doom metal genre what it is...they and Anathema, Paradise Lost. I guess I meant to say that November's Doom music is more 'captivating' to me.

Okay...the CD...

I actually loved it. LOVED it! It seems like the 'November's Doom sound' is coming into it's own on this CD. And what I enjoyed the most were Paul's vocals. Easily the most agressive and angry, yet has the quality of the previous (AMID IT'S HALLOWED MIRTH) and the latter (TO WELCOME THE FADE)...and that is the clear delivery. Harsh growls yet you know what he's saying. Outstanding.
I also have to say the acoustic parts were so great. Some of the best I've heard, and I've heard some knockout acoustic guitar pieces from Opeth and early Dark Tranquillity and In Flames. It has the November's Doom trademark, yet sounds like nothing I've heard.

Yeah, they are great. Made the doom metal genre what it is...they and Anathema, Paradise Lost. I guess I meant to say that November's Doom music is more 'captivating' to me.
No problem at all, didn't mean to seem defensive or seem like I was being ungrateful for the compliment. It's just been such a source of controversy for us in the past, the whole MDB comparison/competition subject, that I wanted to clarify how I felt about it. If you find us more captivating than them, I take that as a great compliment because MDB are a pretty captivating band. Thanks again!

Okay...the CD...

I actually loved it. LOVED it! It seems like the 'November's Doom sound' is coming into it's own on this CD. And what I enjoyed the most were Paul's vocals. Easily the most agressive and angry, yet has the quality of the previous (AMID IT'S HALLOWED MIRTH) and the latter (TO WELCOME THE FADE)...and that is the clear delivery. Harsh growls yet you know what he's saying. Outstanding.
I also have to say the acoustic parts were so great. Some of the best I've heard, and I've heard some knockout acoustic guitar pieces from Opeth and early Dark Tranquillity and In Flames. It has the November's Doom trademark, yet sounds like nothing I've heard.
The "Of Sculptured Ivy..." cd had alot to do with why I joined the band in the first place. They approached me about auditioning for the recently vacant guitar slot back in early 99, and I wasn't sure I wanted to get back into the scene at that point, but they played me a rough mix of the album (which wasn't out yet) and I was really taken with how original and intricate the music was, and was a big factor in my decision to join the band. I may be a member of the band now but I have no shame in saying that I am quite a fan of the "Of Sculptured Ivy..." album. I always felt that it was a sadly overlooked album. It's good that some people are still discovering that album now.

LOL I can see the Blabbermouth headline now-

NOVEMBERS DOOM comments on MY DYING BRIDE-"F**k those limey bastards"

Nice one, man. haha

I can see the next headline now....

MY DYING BRIDE offers rebuttal to NOVEMBERS DOOM- "We signed Paul's cds saying 'You Cunt' for a good reason"

LOL. Inside joke there folks.

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
I think MDB and ND are completely different kinds of bands, regardless of what some seem to think. And MDB are a great band with a career that speaks for itself. !

I totally agree with you.
It's very easy to compare you two because at first, the only thing that comes to mind when you listen to ND's music, is MDB and some early Paradise Lost (imo)
But after a while, and the more you get into the music, you realize that ND and MDB have their similarities, but also both are VERY different.
and that's a good thing. As much as I love MDB, I don’t think any band would like to sound like "them"
ND have their own unique sound, and that’s why I love them.
If ND were another MDB-wanna bes, (so many out there...)
I would never speak so highly on them.
believe me :tickled:

Dead_Lioness said:
I totally agree with you.
It's very easy to compare you two because at first, the only thing that comes to mind when you listen to ND's music, is MDB and some early Paradise Lost (imo)
But after a while, and the more you get into the music, you realize that ND and MDB have their similarities, but also both are VERY different.
and that's a good thing. As much as I love MDB, I don’t think any band would like to sound like "them"
ND have their own unique sound, and that’s why I love them.
If ND were another MDB-wanna bes, (so many out there...)
I would never speak so highly on them.
believe me :tickled:

It's always nice when someone actually "gets" us. Thanks!!! :D