'Before The Wind' omission?

Mystic_Machine

New Metal Member
May 30, 2008
Houston, Tx
I'm just curious as to why said track was omitted from the "Of Sculptured Ivy and Stone Flowers" re-issue. I've been unsuccessful in my quest for this knowledge and thought I may find the answer I seek here.

I never owned the originals but picked up both re-issues tonight. Great stuff! But I was just wondering if it was due to a creative issue or something. Thanks!

"Before the Wind" was omitted for two reasons. The main reason being that the band was never totally satisfied with the way the track came out, and secondly because of time constraints with us putting extra songs on the disc. That track was written and performed by someone outside of the band, and while we mean no disrespect to that person by omitting the song, we just felt that it was expendable in the end.

Honestly, it was more a matter of no one in the band being a part of it at all. It was written and performed by a friend of ours, and it always felt out of place a bit, because it was something he did on his own. We even debated about including it on the original pressing, and after the fact, we all sort of felt it was like the CD's odd moment. With the re-release, we wanted everything to be Novembers Doom, and that piece just wasn't. Simple as that.

I had a feeling it might of had something to do with the aforementioned reasons. And after listening to the re-issue, I agree that it would feel out of place. Regardless the album flows very beautifully.

The bonus tracks are great too!

Thanks Paul & NvmbrsDoom5, much appreciated.

I'm glad they left that track off. It was always very out of place, and not all that great to begin with. No disrespect to the guy who made it...but it didn't have the Novembers Doom feel at all.

I tried to leave it off the original, but was out voted, and later told by those who out voted me that I was right, and we should not have included it. It's just not us. At all. The other guys didn't want to hurt the feelings of a friend by not including it. In retrospect, I should of pulled rank. :lol: