A circle pit in 2011!!

for the record, i am not calling for an old school "spaghetti arms" mosh pit or a common Slayer white trash-muscle head-football practice-push pit or even UFC kick boxing. i am calling for an old school CIRCLE PIT, harmless in intent but lots of fun.

for the record, i am not calling for an old school "spaghetti arms" mosh pit or a common Slayer white trash-muscle head-football practice-push pit or even UFC kick boxing. i am calling for an old school CIRCLE PIT, harmless in intent but lots of fun.

circle pits are great but I dont think most people even know how to have an old classic circle pit. Again it is usually a bunch of knuckledraggers still pushing each other. The most amazing circle pit was for Rata Blanca. They are a Portugese Iron Maiden. I saw them at this Hispanic Music Night at the Aragon Ballroom. Literally thousands of people there. During almost all the bands non metal and metal and even during the breaks between bands where they were playing stuff like Mago De Oz, there was at least 3 big circle pits. In these big circles where actually families with thier small children and stuff. It was hilarious. They were all hopping and running along and stuff. No one getting pushed down or hurt and even running into people on the outside.

At DRI / Nasty Savage there was a great circle pit with this one crazy guy who stood in the middle acting like a wizard swinging his arms around acting like he was controlling the crowd. It was hilarious.

At DRI / Nasty Savage there was a great circle pit with this one crazy guy who stood in the middle acting like a wizard swinging his arms around acting like he was controlling the crowd. It was hilarious.

there always has to be a conductor! there would be no organization to it if someone wasn't directing traffic! hahaha.

the funniest circle pit direction was from Darkest Hour years ago. Mike was like, "do you guys even remember what a circle pit is? this should be easy since we are in North Carolina. it's like Nascar, but everyone turn left and just run around in a circle and pretend you are your favorite driver!" hahaha, classic

Circle pits are great. There was a funny thread on a different board I visit noting that circle pits tend to be counter clockwise (at least in the northern hemisphere, which is where all the shows I've been to are). I cannot remember a circle pit that was definitely clockwise. I think it would be great if there was a circle pit moment at PP, although I would understand if there wasn't. I personally don't do them because I am a bit uncoordinated - I would fall over in about two seconds.

The only crappy thing is when you get that one jock tough-guy who intentionally runs the other way in the circle pit just to look like a hardass. For some reason this happens a lot at shows at the Palladium out here. I don't know if it's the same guy but I've seen someone doing it at multiple shows over the past years.

So, if a band says "I wanna see your hands in the air!" are they wrong too?

If the guy grabbed the mike and said "Punch the guy next to you" would that be OK?

Asking someone to put their fist in the air is much different then asking for a mosh pit. One builds unity for a song and the other is just an unnecessary request I M H O. (And this is said by someone who has done his fair share of moshing)

I have been to plenty of shows where nobody needs to be told to mosh; it happens on it's own. Lamb of God never had to tell anyone to mosh--and I have seen the pit open up at every LOG show I attend. Overkill never had to...UFO never had to...Pantera never had to...Hell, Evergrey never had to tell anyone to mosh but a mosh pit opened right up on the first song they played here a few years ago.

So, if you don't think it is lame, that is ok. I will wait for the band to move me. Or the crowd.

Anybody else think it's completely ridiculous that a circle pit has to be arranged on a public forum?

Yes it's ridiculous, but I think the thread was a good-natured half-joke. I see you registered in 2010 and maybe you've been to the past fests but if not, you may not know that ProgPower does have a stated no-moshing rule. Potential exception to the rule previously bubbled up in 2006 when Nevermore was initially announced, and Glenn basically said 'NO.'

I've been to Prog Power before.

Anyways, I've been to a whole ton of events, shows, venues where they had a "NO MOSHING" sign or rule. Guess how many times it held up.

You guys seriously need to get out of this retro mosh pit stuff, and start laying on the floor and running in a circle like Curly from The Three Stooges. If all metal shows had that happen at them, I think the show would be a much happier experience for everyone.

Anyways, I've been to a whole ton of events, shows, venues where they had a "NO MOSHING" sign or rule. Guess how many times it held up.

Same.

ProgPower is one of the few (perhaps the only) show where the stated rule is actually enforced. Granted, most of the bands playing don't have moshable music to begin with, but every so often an exception comes up.

If the guy grabbed the mike and said "Punch the guy next to you" would that be OK?

There's a different between doing something to get the crowd going and doing something retarded. You just used an example that would fall into the "retarded" category.

No Username said:
I have been to plenty of shows where nobody needs to be told to mosh; it happens on it's own. Lamb of God never had to tell anyone to mosh--and I have seen the pit open up at every LOG show I attend.

WHAT? Dude, seriously, Randy is *always* asking people to mosh, to go nuts, to go crazy, etc. Have you forgotten their series of "Wall of Death" shows? Who called for that? Yeap. The band.

No Username said:
So, if you don't think it is lame, that is ok. I will wait for the band to move me. Or the crowd.

Fair enough. :)

You guys seriously need to get out of this retro mosh pit stuff, and start laying on the floor and running in a circle like Curly from The Three Stooges. If all metal shows had that happen at them, I think the show would be a much happier experience for everyone.

Or, book more doom bands so everyone can do this instead:

Last edited by a moderator:

I have done this a few times actually at a few punks show way back when. Big laughs. We also used to do the Three Stooges slap fights to.

I have done this a few times actually at a few punks show way back when. Big laughs. We also used to do the Three Stooges slap fights to.

Who could forget the time you greeted me in the pit at the old Fireside Bowl by slapping a full nelson on me from behind!

Your cheap shots aren't reserved for forums only! :lol:

People at work here are wondering why I just started laughing so loud
:loco::loco::loco:

Great post - I think we need to try it :kickass: