A couple Katatonia CD reissues coming soon...

Apr 17, 2006
USA
I recently saw some online distros mention a couple new Katatonia reissues coming out in the next few months.

KATATONIA - Last fair deal gone down 10TH ANNIV. EDITION (2-CD) Peaceville
Bonus 2nd CD featuring 4 songs from the EPs "Teargas" and "Tonight's Music"

KATATONIA - Night is the new day TOUREDITION (CD) Peaceville
Special Tour Edition with the 4 songs from the "Longest Year" EP as a bonus

What is this, their 3rd "Tour Edition" for this album? Is the Longest Year EP even out of print yet? This seems like a pretty ridiculous cash grab...unless it's a 2 disc that will have a 5.1 mix. The Last Fair Deal Gone Down 10th anniversary edition doesn't seem much better, unless they did some expanded artwork or something. We'll see I guess...

I'd much rather them put out a B sides plus cd,

Code Against the Code
Unfurl
Dissolving Bonds
Wait Outside
Displaced
Ashen
Sold Heart

. . . and i'm sure there's a couple more I forgot, but I'd rather have songs like this on one solid release than another re-issue

I'd much rather them put out a B sides plus cd,

Code Against the Code
Unfurl
Dissolving Bonds
Wait Outside
Displaced
Ashen
Sold Heart

. . . and i'm sure there's a couple more I forgot, but I'd rather have songs like this on one solid release than another re-issue

I agree completely with this! That'd be the best solution. If anything else, it could also include the remixes of "My Twin", "Day And Then The Shade", "In The White", "Idle Blood" and "Soil's Song".

if you already own the albums and you don't feel these re-issues do anything for you, you dont need bother, simple as that! but there are more people than you out there, maybe some old fans who maybe never picked these up? and what about all the new fans since then? so "why dont they just go ahead and buy the originals then", they are welcome to do so (if they can find them)! but these two re-issues are marketed by the label especially to promote the titles through the 20th year anniversary shows where the focus lies on last fair deal gone down and then shines back on the rest of the discography, so they would enhance them while having the chance and i very much condone this. i agree a 5.1 mix would have been a wonderful addition, but that wasn't possible, but apart from the bonus tracks both LFDGD and NITND re-issues will have new alternate beautiful cover artwork courtesy of travis smith. the NITND artwork is like a parallel universe of the original (some people might like this even more than the original) and the LFDGD cover has a new angle. anyways, if u don't need it - don't buy it! :)

the idea to put out all b-sides and remixes and maybe some new rare stuff is a good one, maybe something that we can do sometime in the future after the next album when there should be enough material for this.

Yawn, even if it was a cash grab, who cares, why would anyone be ashamed of making money, especially when it's good music that you're selling.

btw, I'm curious to see these alternate covers.

In a perfect world, they would just release THE GREAT COLD DISTANCE with "Dissolving Bonds", "Displaced", "Code Against The Code" and "Unfurl" as bonus tracks, as well as NIGHT IS THE NEW DAY with "Sold Heart" and "Ashen" included. That's how I made my cd-rs. In fact the retail cds now collect dust because I can't stand listening to them anymore with the missing songs. I need the COMPLETE album sessions collection of songs on one disc. If there were any other new studio songs recorded during the NITND sessions, I know I would want those included as well.

I'm already furious about the upcoming Within Temptation cd having at least three songs cut off the physical (deluxe edition) release. Nothing within the entire music industry makes me more angry than when songs are cut from albums and I'm forced to buy albums with an incomplete collection of songs on them. I just wish more music fans were half as passionate about this belief as I am.

Maybe because more music fans have the compression to see the bigger picture and understand there's such a thing as "flow." It's not just a collection of songs. That my friend is what is called a best of album, a rap record, or an Ipod. Plus I don't know what it's going to take to get you to understand that some of these tracks were recorded after the record. This has been explained to you numerous times. It's like talking to a child.

That is what is so wonderful about bonus tracks. Once the "flow" of the album is over, you can choose to press "Stop" on the cd player and not listen to the bonus tracks. Whereas us completists who don't want the experience of an album to end right there, can choose to go past the "main meal" and onto the bonus tracks for dessert. They could just put a minute of silence between the last "official" album song and first bonus track and then that is where the fans who are terrified of having a variety of themes/sounds on an album and are so concerned about "flow", can cease the journey right there, while those of us who want to experience the entire spectrum with every path (song) documented on the cd, can choose to go onward instead of having to switch out cd after cd for one song each. I think it's a simple solution where everybody wins.

And "Unfurl" and "Code Against The Code" were included as b-sides on singles for songs off TGCD (and they definitely occured after VIVA and before NITND), so that makes them TGCD songs by default. I like variety, not a common theme throughout an entire album where everything has to follow the same structure. Add some different flavors, it can work wonders for an album.

I 110% agree with you on this FlawedCoil82 . . . and when it comes to the many "b-sides" songs on TGCD i feel that the album is incomplete without these song and there are plenty of spots on the album to input these songs to make a great flowing record.

My brother has the swedish edition cd of NITND with "Ashen" and I just feel pissed because I got him into the band and he has the album with probably one of the best kata songs ever .....grrr.... I can see "sold heart" not fitting into the album "sound scape" but "ashen" definately does, so for me to not have it on my version is frustrating . . . . hence why i suggested the "B-Sides Plus" album, because I still don't have "code against the code," or "unfurl" on an album. I do have the extended TGCD album with "displaced," and "dissolving bonds," but I really feel like "unfurl," and "code against the code," definately go with that albums "flow" . . . . . over explained i know, sorry

That is what is so wonderful about bonus tracks. Once the "flow" of the album is over, you can choose to press "Stop" on the cd player and not listen to the bonus tracks. Whereas us completists who don't want the experience of an album to end right there, can choose to go past the "main meal" and onto the bonus tracks for dessert. They could just put a minute of silence between the last "official" album song and first bonus track and then that is where the fans who are terrified of having a variety of themes/sounds on an album and are so concerned about "flow", can cease the journey right there, while those of us who want to experience the entire spectrum with every path (song) documented on the cd, can choose to go onward instead of having to switch out cd after cd for one song each. I think it's a simple solution where everybody wins.

And "Unfurl" and "Code Against The Code" were included as b-sides on singles for songs off TGCD (and they definitely occured after VIVA and before NITND), so that makes them TGCD songs by default. I like variety, not a common theme throughout an entire album where everything has to follow the same structure. Add some different flavors, it can work wonders for an album.

Variety has nothing to do with the matter. An album is going to be judged for every single bit of content no matter what. So unless there's label interference, artists will present the album the way they intended it to be heard first. It's their work after all.

The fact that you continue complaining about SEPARATE material record AFTER shows just how naive and childishly stubborn you are. The only reason anything is released is because there comes a point where you have to say you're finished. Otherwise every record would turn out to be "Chinese Democracy." Not to mention not everyone has 25 mill laying around to record for over a decade. Besides, that type of procrastination always seems to backfire in the end being how it becomes a refined and outdated product that lacks honestly. Fact of the matter is you can never please everyone. You're perfect proof of this. Go trade in your old record and spend a few bucks to acquire this new version with material slapped on the end that you've been asking for. You have zero grounds to complain.

Variety has nothing to do with the matter. An album is going to be judged for every single bit of content no matter what. So unless there's label interference, artists will present the album the way they intended it to be heard first. It's their work after all.

The fact that you continue complaining about SEPARATE material record AFTER shows just how naive and childishly stubborn you are. The only reason anything is released is because there comes a point where you have to say you're finished. Otherwise every record would turn out to be "Chinese Democracy." Not to mention not everyone has 25 mill laying around to record for over a decade. Besides, that type of procrastination always seems to backfire in the end being how it becomes a refined and outdated product that lacks honestly. Fact of the matter is you can never please everyone. You're perfect proof of this. Go trade in your old record and spend a few bucks to acquire this new version with material slapped on the end that you've been asking for. You have zero grounds to complain.

Is good post!