A Crimson II -review

egaga

New Metal Member
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I found a finnish review at http://www.pimento.cjb.net/ and I translated it in english for EoS fans:

Personally the new Edge of Sanity album (the second part of the great Crimson) is absolutely one of the most expected releases for me. The story is divided into 9 parts and there are 44 tracks even though it really is only one big song as the precessor was. First it was announced that Peter Tägtren was going to growl, but maestro Dan Swanö realised in studio that he could still growl well. -- Half of the grunting is done by Roger Johansson. Music is Edge at it's best, which was what I expected. The album has some of the riffs from the first album. They are cleverly used in a new way. Swanö has really thought about wholeness. I doubt that one could get bored by this album, because one can find new nuances all the time. The album has also connection to the brilliant Moontower, especially keyboards. The sound is perfectly made. Guitars are heavy and rough and bass roar well. Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth) wasn't screaming this time, but there have been other guest performers. For example Mercyful Fate's Mikae Wead has a few unbelievable solos. And Kristian Wåhls gorgeous paintings make the finishing touches. This album has a place next to other EoS classics. Definetely one of the best albums this year.
review: juha riikonen 10/10

The review in finnish was a bit clumsy, but I didn't want to make big changes, so the translation isn't really a good one. Sorry about that.

Dan Swanö said:
10/10 rules...I löööve reviews like this!!!
I got 3 out of 5 in the biggest Swedish mag Aftonbladet, which is nice...
Dan

:lol: What a trip to see the mastermind of Crimson II respond to a review he got! Congrats on the praise Dan.

I cant to get my order in!

well, about aftonbladet

they have sent out quite a lot of fours recently... a bit to many maybe. But as soon as it's a bit to complex or proggy it won't get anything better than thre.. I mean, Damnation, Crimson and Crimson II are all worth more than 3/5. Especially when Load and Reload have both been graded 4/5 and Hatebreeds latest recieved 5/5. It just isn't fair, is it?

Add-on: To make things even more clear, look at this:

Crimson, Blackwater Park, Damnation, Crimson II = 3 / 5 in aftonbladet.

Load, Reload, St Anger, Anthems of Rebellion = 4 / 5 in aftonbladet.

not fair is an understatement.

Dan Swanö said:
10/10 rules...I löööve reviews like this!!!
I got 3 out of 5 in the biggest Swedish mag Aftonbladet, which is nice...
Dan

Wait until you see my review, Danny.

L0bster said:
well, about aftonbladet

they have sent out quite a lot of fours recently... a bit to many maybe. But as soon as it's a bit to complex or proggy it won't get anything better than thre.. I mean, Damnation, Crimson and Crimson II are all worth more than 3/5. Especially when Load and Reload have both been graded 4/5 and Hatebreeds latest recieved 5/5. It just isn't fair, is it?

well i don't know that magazine, but if they rank gaytallica above edge of sanity they must SUCK
maybe a bunch of 13-year old-internet-metalheads ?????
what a bunch of suckers

Matte Kling at Achtungbladet is a fucking weirdo... I liked him when he began writing for them but now all of his rewiews seen weird like hell, he creamed his pant for St. Wankstain. He has a weird taste in music... or am I the weird one? Maybe I should send him a demo of me banging at pots and screaming and I´ll become the biggest thing since Metallica?

L0bster said:
well, about aftonbladet

......all seems clear now about Aftonbladet.

I haven't received my copy of Crimson II yet, but I know well all the other albums mentioned, and It would have been more appropriate the exact contrary, with a 5 for Crimson and Blackwater Park!
And maybe a 2 (or less) for St Anger..

I received my copy yesterday from The End Records.
From the first listenings I must say that the album seems really good, as many of you already noticed, this maybe a well-done mixture of Moontower elements and Edge of Sanity (obviously Crimson-era).
The album is enjoyable, we have the usual more-than-adeguate riffing (with some really interesting news), the good echoed growling and the aor clean singing, sometimes an old piece of melody comes out from Crimson one, and it's always a good thing to listen. I would say that as this is a 100% Swano release, as always the most important point is the great taste in melodies, there is no wrong note, this is not to say that the work is predictable, but to express my high appreciation for Dan's musical sense.
It will require many more listens, but the first impression is really good (well, maybe not "Astonishing" as with the first Crimson, I still feel that there was something more in "atmosphere" with that piece of art), and hey, that keyboards are just in the right place, can't understand why that complaining!?

Why I feel so silly when trying to write in a "yeah I'm cool" way... >:)?
Sorry for that, but I think my impressions are well written and their meaning is crystal clear, hope they can be helpful.
(But I think that there should be no need to "promote" the album in THIS forum...)

Jon Nodtveidt said:
......all seems clear now about Aftonbladet.

I haven't received my copy of Crimson II yet, but I know well all the other albums mentioned, and It would have been more appropriate the exact contrary, with a 5 for Crimson and Blackwater Park!
And maybe a 2 (or less) for St Anger..

Bloodbath-Resurrection...4 av 5!!!

D

Yeah Dan, the 4 given to Blodbath was nice. But it's a bit more straight forward, proggy stuff is always doomed to a maximum of 3/5 it seems. Men så behövs ju inte bekräftelse från just aftonbladet heller i alla lägen.

Just bought it. Very good release! It's typically EoS styled! This new Crimson release has got some more Nightingale guitar synths that sound very good! Some older EoS riffs are recycled too, but it doesn't bother me at all!

Thumbs up!