a dare for xfer

You'll have to excuse my anachronism. Pop culture here is several month or years behind your super pop culture in the US.

My most recent relocation was to the small island of Grenada famous for its cinnamon, nutmeg, international medical schools, and preemptive military action by the Reagan Administration. Another thing Bush tried to do that Reagan had already done more successfully than Bush ever could have hoped for.

Med School, you know studying colombolas, vermillion borders, phitrums, frenulums, vidian canals, McBurney's Point, Triangle of Calot, Waldeyer's Ring, and my favorite body part, Risorius, based both on name and function.

that's awesome! congratulations. my friend kevin at school was talking to me about s.g.'s the other day, i take it you like the program? i want to know more!

Well, like prison, the first thing I did was mess with the biggest guy on the island (literally). I needed 18 stitches (13 cutaneous, 5 subcutaneous) to close the wound. Then I got elected to student government and have instituted a law requiring all parties who wish to speak the student government to hold the skull while talking. These days, I am learning the fine art of using fumigation to cure hysteria and how to properly burn a witch, lance a boil, and divine the source of sorcery causing illness.

It's cooler than Hogwart's here. Because we are not wizards, we're gonna be doctors. I'm looking forward to learning American magic after we finish our prerequisites in voodoo. Though, if I could raise an army of the dead, I'm pretty sure I will have lost my motivation to heal anyone, when I could just conscript them into my unholy army.

It's med school on a tropical island which gives you all the difficulty of medical school plus all the disadvantages of an island nation outside of the fancy resorts where a military coup was recently put down our government. The islanders hate us and there are only 100,000 of them so everyone knows everyone, which means if you cross one, look forward to walking on egg shells for the next 2 years.

Unlike undergrad, I am natural at this. I mean, first term med isn't the hardest term but it is supposed to be in the top 3 (of 6) but frankly, I am loving it. In fact, check the vestigial organs page.

i don't know if i am tough enough to have an entire island population hate me and not live in constant fear that my sub-100 pound frame wouldn't be crushed at any moment... but you at least have people you like and get along with at school?

Yeah, there are tons of great people here and a lot will be good doctors in the near future. As for me, I just got re-elected to student government, so I must be doing ok socially to get enough votes of 500 twice. Perhaps the timing is right for my militaristic coup.

As for the islanders, my life has only been threatened by a Grenadian once and it was on the flag football field. Besides that, I'm getting along with everybody just fine and generally we are all very safe. But you have to treat all off campus locations the way people treated NYC in the 80's. Don't go anywhere alone in the dark off campus, leave nothing in your car if you have one, etc.

Also, the stitches thing is true though the cause was accidental. I'm thinking of telling people I did them myself and that's why they are less than perfect but yeah, don't get hurt here. It's either crazy expensive because you get sent to the states or you risk the local facilities which is not an indictment of the local doctors but the local resources. Unless I have it cosmetically repaired, I will be talking about this scar to every patient for the rest of my life.