a dare for xfer

yea i was talking to someone at work today and asked them about the area. his first comment was "don't get hurt!" and i laughed and thought of you. is it at least a tough looking scar? it's not shaped like a heart or anything right? when do you graduate? when you get to the US what do you have to do, pass boards and have a regular residency? or is it longer?

It extends superolaterally at 45 degree angle from its origin about two inchs above my plica circularis. At the sagittal plane dividing my eye in half along its anatomical axis. it bifurcates, sending a branch more superior than lateral and another more lateral than inferior. Basically, it looks like a crack opened in my face.

For further frame of reference, it's just superomedial to my supraorbital foramen and the injury severed my supratrochlear and supraorbital arteries and damaged branches of the supratrochlear branches of the opthalmic (V1) branch of my trigeminal nerve. I suffer paresthesia in a small dermatome above the origin of the laceration.

As for the educational process, I take the boards down here and all my clinical education is identical to that of an "american" medical student. Seriously, after 2nd year med school, I can apply for my student years at medical school to be anywhere in the US, though most students work in the NYC area. After that, residency matching is the same as everywhere else. Frankly, this is the exact same thing as american medical school, just larger class sizes and the campus is in Grenada. As for future job prospects, matters where you do your residency. Residency matching comes down to GPA, USMLE score, and interview, regardless of where you were educated though if me and some legacy from harvard have the same scores, he gets the spot. Other international schools, you do two residencies, one in a foreign country, the other in the US. Some aren't recognized.

And as one of the guys I talked to before I came here said, "You get asked where you went to school 5 times in your whole life but you are a DO everyday for the rest of your life."

how brutal is the scar? (aka, is it metal?) wait, isn't your plica circularis on your bowels???
lol you're lucky you didn't get your eye poked out.
so, you're getting your DO? i think that's awesome! you're a lot smarter than most of the kids up here. a LOT of my classmates in undergrad (i'm taking neuroscience now) are taking their DO at US schools and the cost is pretty much the same for MD programs and they're NOT going to get that great of training (i think touro opened a school in manhattan this year or last year which is pretty ok actually). so that's AWESOME that you're going to be finishing up just like them and not paying off the debt for the next 82383943 years.

That must have autocorrected on me on my iPod because I meant caruncula lacrimalis and I'm lucky I didn't further damage my nerves or become permeanently ptotic. I actually meant that it's better to get a foreign MD because no one ever asks where you went to medical school but 70% of the people in the US thinks DO is short for Voodoo. I'm pissed about that Touro school opening where it did. It was supposed to take over the hospital where I used to volunteer as a high schooler and where my dad used to work which is literally around the corner from where I live and my mom works. Instead, closest hospital is like 10 miles away. All the same, yeah, I am going to be in debt forever like every other doctor, actually more debt than most.

Weak.

why do so many people think DO means 'couldn't get into med school'? is that true? i dont' know much about DO's except that my dad's awesome neurologist is a DO and he is the only person that's ever successfully helped my dad.

is the tuition at st. george's significantly less? i am guessing you can't get financial aid lol.

Fin Aid is no problem, I'm on all financial aid.

Two of my very good friends are already DOs. Osteopathic schools are less selective and you are less likely to get as many opportunities as a surgeon or some of the other good residencies but frankly, the difference in training is not significant. Being a good doctor is about being a good doctor and no matter where you go to school you can still be the every best. Cadavers and Gray's anatomy are the same everywhere, you have to know them. It's a very simple concept. Learning is done on your own time, professors at different schools mean very little as far as I am concerned.

i totally agree. that's awesome that you get financial aid there. my adviser told me any overseas school wouldn't offer financial aid, wtf! he b.s.'d me!

That must have autocorrected on me on my iPod because I meant caruncula lacrimalis and I'm lucky I didn't further damage my nerves or become permeanently ptotic. I actually meant that it's better to get a foreign MD because no one ever asks where you went to medical school but 70% of the people in the US thinks DO is short for Voodoo. I'm pissed about that Touro school opening where it did. It was supposed to take over the hospital where I used to volunteer as a high schooler and where my dad used to work which is literally around the corner from where I live and my mom works. Instead, closest hospital is like 10 miles away. All the same, yeah, I am going to be in debt forever like every other doctor, actually more debt than most.

Weak.

I am pretty sure that 70% of people in the US (or more) are not really conscious that a DO differs from an MD at all.

xfer, in my experience, people don't realize the difference if you introduce yourself as a doctor but they start to pay attention when they look for a doctor or a second opinion or if you do something they don't expect or recommend a different course of treatment or what have you. Like I said, to the educated observer, there is no difference but as I am reminded everytime I go home to small town NJ, expecting gen pop to know their ass from their elbow is a risky proposition. I'm not interested in wasting my time assuaging fears about my qualifications and risking non-compliance with my treatment recommendations. That and I want to cut people open and the difference in letters makes that less likely.

Yeah, St. George's has the whole thing hooked up on financial aid, same as US schools. Oh, and my scar gets less metal everyday but there is some crosshatching and poorly approximated skin. I'll try to get picture but my computer died so I don't have the file currently.

i actually had one of the residents at the hospital i have an internship at me tell me "A DO is the same as a PA" and i was like 'yea... except for the extra training as a DOCTOR.... and like, a thousand other differences...'. but maybe she is just bitter because none of the nurses like her and she eats her lunches alone....

btw, did you see the live stream of H.M.'s brain mapping?

Doctors are people too meaning a great deal of them are jerks. I'm sure she'd have something negative to say about caribbean doctors also.

yea her personality... sucks.
she lost her prescription card (like a credit card you use to run your prescriptions through to the hospital ********) and threw a kicking, screaming, hair raising squeal of a temper tantrum and call all the nurses idiots and then later found it in her own purse and didn't apologize. so i'm assuming she hates EVERYTHING and is probably the devil. i suggest your zombie race eat her face off first ok?
incidentally, i'm using doing this TBI neuro assessment computer program at school this week and so far my case is sooooo annoyingly stupid i want to reach into the computer and punch the patient.

Getting the equivalent of Prader-Willi from hypothalmic damage is cool. We don't have people like that at SGU, they can't survive here because the island folks do not take the shit that American customer service type people take in America. If you are acting like a dick, they just stop serving you. I watched a girl mouth off to the girl at the book store beg the girl to pay attention to her while the clerk ignored her for a half an hour.

Are you a medical intern? or like what? I'm curious about your case, if only because I keep getting more and more interested in neurology.

i have an internship at beth israel on the neurological step down unit from surgery. so mostly CVA's, spinal injuries, epilepsy patients (we have an EMU unit here to do special monitoring) and some TIA patients here for monitoring. i am sort in limbo: i can't decide between going for an MD or going for a PhD in neuroscience for psych neuro eval. so i took the internship to figure out which i found more appealing, and i am going to try to get a neuroscience research assistantship sometime soon (which is so hard in the city, there's so much competition.
i got lucky with this assistantship that i got so far. i basically weaseled in via a volunteer position, all the patient aides and nurses really liked me because i helped them feed the patients and ran errands so they let me trail the PA's and neurologists around like a puppydog.
PM me your email, i don't want to publish my case online in a public forum since i don't know if the grad students that made the program would appreciate it. it's based on real assessments and mine is somewhat vague and i think the patient may be a total d-bag!

Having experience in research medicine as a lab tech and clinical situations as a medical assistant and EMT, do you prefer research or patient contact and treatment? If you like them equally, get an MD because MDs can do research and plenty do but PhDs can't treat patients.

i'm leaning toward MD definitely. i think my advisor is freaking me out because he keeps sending me emails like "Gotta get an A in Calc! no A means no med school!" and it makes me completely FREAK OUT. :cry:

people reading this thread are probably in a state of terror realizing their future healthcare givers are going to be people like US

Fuck calc, frankly, rock your MCATs, graduate from Harvard, publish a paper about curing a disease, provide the cure in person to a disadvantaged african community, and get WAITLISTED at american med school. As a doctor I knew out in SF said to me, I don't know how anyone gets into medical school anymore. Do your best, if you want to be a doctor, there are ways to get the education.